The 'SOUL'. What is it?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 08:05 pm
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

On the soccer world cup, Netherland and Costa Rica were even with zero scores.

In order to be a winner, when the game was over and even, both teams have the chance to score by kicking the ball in what is known as "penalty".

While the Netherland players were standing up, the Costa Rica players stayed on their knees, as an act of asking god to help them to win the game.

Netherland won by scoring more penalties.

It is understood that god -at this time-didn't listen the prayers of the Central American team.

In this discussion, Olivier5 has scored and is winning.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTo-8-ZAkUA&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Thata boy.

Make him feel good.

He needs it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2o9LtpJRXYNF9V-qP5EUR7J47WOx7ONUGKwFPlCTYRXNn5VdinA
neologist

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 10:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Considering the fact that the soul is not a metaphysical entity, but literally means only 'self'.We don't have souls; we are souls.
Frank Apisa wrote:

I gotta keep reminding myself that you guys are actually serious.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTduy3KV3MkOidbCyZwOkTesU1R_IX-tiLkpofwL888-dtpym6c
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:33 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Considering the fact that the soul is not a metaphysical entity, but literally means only 'self'.We don't have souls; we are souls.
Frank Apisa wrote:

I gotta keep reminding myself that you guys are actually serious.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTduy3KV3MkOidbCyZwOkTesU1R_IX-tiLkpofwL888-dtpym6c

By now, I think most of us realize that YOUR religion teaches that, Neo. Other religions teach that a soul is something apart from the corporeal element. Other belief systems posit that there is no such thing as a soul...whether viewed the way your religion does or the way the others do.

Your religion may be wrong about what it teaches in that regard...just as the other religions may be wrong.

We really do not know...and, for the most part, can only make blind guesses about what actually IS.

That is what you just did...shared your blind guess about the thing known as a "soul."

I do thank you (and the others) for sharing the blind guesses. Always interesting to see what is on the menu.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 07:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm just curious as per how you will 'use' the terms 'know' and 'reality' when it comes to discussing God's involvment in the Super Bowl. Is the 'Super Bowl use of the term reality' going to trump 'God use of the term reality' or what? And how you can 'know' which sense of the word 'know' you must use in that context...
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 07:12 am
@mark noble,
So you make a (moral?) distinction between living and non living things? That's already something... But what makes the living worthier than the inert, in a materialist view? It's all atomic particular to you anyway...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 07:25 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Considering the fact [????] that the soul is not a metaphysical entity,
Your putative "fact" is ignorant nonsense, Neologist.
By now, so many people have gotten out of their meat-suits
and mentioned it that its not news any more. This has happened
either (or both) because the equipment in the suit stopped functioning or
when it was functioning OK, he exited the same as a motorist
getting out of his car whether its engine is on or off.
I have gotten out of MY meat suit several times,
tho the last time was in the 1980s. Its a nice feeling.
( I have never fooled around with drugs. )

After re-entry into their meat-suits, some folks have reported
on their discarnate adventures. In a few cases I 've heard of,
some of their family members were disinherited as a result
of discarnate discoveries.

Too many people have fallen into the error of mistaken identity
that the self is his human body.

neologist wrote:
but literally means only 'self'. We don't have souls; we are souls.
Yes. The souls have meat-suits, akin in principle
to deep-sea divers' suits.

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 09:43 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I'm just curious as per how you will 'use' the terms 'know' and 'reality' when it comes to discussing God's involvment in the Super Bowl. Is the 'Super Bowl use of the term reality' going to trump 'God use of the term reality' or what? And how you can 'know' which sense of the word 'know' you must use in that context...

Well..continue to wonder, Olivier.

You would do your life a lot of good by just wondering...

...and by not sticking your jaw out as often as you do.

But some people never learn...and apparently, you are one of them.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=meat%20suit
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
And some people shy away from difficult questions, and you are one of them... But we all knew that already.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:50 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

And some people shy away from difficult questions, and you are one of them... But we all knew that already.

I've answered all the questions put to me...and frankly, I did not find any of them all that difficult. Most were...and are...rather silly.

But, mostly you were posing them...so...
neologist

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:51 am
The word translated 'soul' in the Hebrew scriptures is ne' phesh. Literally, it means 'breather'
Check, please.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
How about:

How will you 'use' the terms 'know' and 'reality' when it comes to discussing God's involvment in the Super Bowl? Is the 'Super Bowl use of the term reality' going to trump 'God use of the term reality' or what? And how can you 'know' which sense of the word 'know' you must use in that context?
neologist

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
By now, I think most of us realize that YOUR religion teaches that, Neo. Other religions teach that a soul is something apart from the corporeal element. Other belief systems posit that there is no such thing as a soul...whether viewed the way your religion does or the way the others do.

Your religion may be wrong about what it teaches in that regard...just as the other religions may be wrong.

We really do not know...and, for the most part, can only make blind guesses about what actually IS.

That is what you just did...shared your blind guess about the thing known as a "soul."

I do thank you (and the others) for sharing the blind guesses. Always interesting to see what is on the menu.
Not a religious teaching or any sort of guess, Frank. Just a lesson in language.

I would suppose the belief in the ethereal entity stems from our seemingly universal human perception of indefinite time and an equally universal desire to project our consciousness into the future.
mark noble

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 11:37 am
@Olivier5,
Worthier? In what way?
I can throw a stone in the sea - But not an animal (Unless it lived there and was beached) - Because an animal would be afraid or hurt by the act - A stone likely wouln't, On any level detectable by me, anyway.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 12:31 pm
@mark noble,
I still value human beings more than flies, but that's just me I guess...
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

How about:

How will you 'use' the terms 'know' and 'reality' when it comes to discussing God's involvment in the Super Bowl? Is the 'Super Bowl use of the term reality' going to trump 'God use of the term reality' or what? And how can you 'know' which sense of the word 'know' you must use in that context?

How about you answer my question to you:

If the statement "I believe there is a GOD" is not a blind guess...what is it? Tell me about all the stuff that goes into that determination...and let's discuss it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:58 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Not a religious teaching or any sort of guess, Frank. Just a lesson in language.

Nonsense.

It is a religious teaching...and you know it is. It happens to be couched in the pretense that it is about language...but it is nothing more than a religious teaching. All religions try to sell the idea that their blind guesses are more than just blind guesses.

Quote:
I would suppose the belief in the ethereal entity stems from our seemingly universal human perception of indefinite time and an equally universal desire to project our consciousness into the future.

Suppose all you want, Neo. Nothing wrong with that at all. And I suspect we ALL do some supposing about what is going on here.

But what is your point?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Weasel...
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:44 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Weasel...

Didn't think you would answer my question...and suspected you might retort with a sleazy insult.

BINGO!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying-with-laughter.gif
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 04:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Answer my question first. This is getting old. We've been speaking for pages of your 'use' of the words 'know' and 'reality' in your tightly compartmentalized 'Super Bowl' and 'God' realities. What happens when these two realities overlap?