The 'SOUL'. What is it?

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 09:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You're not addressing the inconsistencies of your position that I've pointed out, saying that I'm babbling notwithstanding.

You certainly are consistent in repeating your philosophical inconsistencies.

Merely asserting that you are consistent is tantamount to responding with the philosophically robust, "uh-huh!".
mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 11:27 pm
@dalehileman,
Nor am I (a physicist) Dale (I do have a great interest in, and knowledge thereof though). And I'm just trying to point out - Science can only measure what is measurable. Beyond that, we rely on imagination.
It would be awesome if we could find Non-Terran life - Prove a universal consciousness - Travel interdimensionally, etc.
But these, along with souls, spirits, gods, afterlives, etc, concepts are simply so (concepts/ideas/imaginations).
If you or anyone choose to call a person's identity/essence/uniqueness a soul - That's fine - But it must be applied to everything's identity/essence/uniqueness - every piece of material that exists.
Humanising it is just a way of elevating (godifying) humans above all other things that exist. And all things are equal in importance in a realm of all things.
mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 11:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Yeah, ok.
State that after a visit to the Lhc or a peek through an eloctron microscope.
Atomic-theory is not a 'theory' - Physics uses the term differently.
Look it up- Caveman.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:59 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You're not addressing the inconsistencies of your position that I've pointed out, saying that I'm babbling notwithstanding.

You certainly are consistent in repeating your philosophical inconsistencies.

Merely asserting that you are consistent is tantamount to responding with the philosophically robust, "uh-huh!".

I am not inconsistent at all.

I have explained everything I have said...and you simply are not willing to accept my explanations.

You are babbling.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:12 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
…... Science can only measure what is measurable. Beyond that, we rely on imagination.
Imagination Mark can't entirely be divorced from reason and reason from measurement. Thus imagination is part of measurement. Ask Einstein

Quote:
It would be awesome if we could find Non-Terran life
In view of recent speculation that there might be more planets than stars, it's almost a certainty

Quote:
- Prove a universal consciousness
It's a matter of opinion: Consider the apodictical existential pantheist's view that the Universe is Her body and all the activity therein Her mind at work

Quote:
- Travel interdimensionally, etc.
Now you're treading on shaky ground

Quote:
But these, along with souls, spirits, gods, afterlives, etc, concepts are simply so (concepts/ideas/imaginations).
Some of our very reasonable a2k'ers will quickly point out that there's no distinct dividing line between the imaginary and the factual

Quote:
If you or anyone choose to call a person's identity/essence/uniqueness a soul - That's fine - But it must be applied to everything's identity/essence/uniqueness - every piece of material that exists.
Exactly

Quote:
Humanising it is just a way of elevating (godifying) humans above all other things that exist. And all things are equal in importance in a realm of all things.
Yes and no

Been a pleasure Mark
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:21 am
@mark noble,
That's 'electron-microscope' There is no eloctron-microscope. Typo.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:50 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
There is no eloctron-microscope. Typo.
But Mark I like the term, referring to the minute view of an a2k'er who like me, is often excessively eloquent, wordy

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 01:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You haven't addressed this question:

Quote:
If you don't know whether we are born and die, and whether you came into being an instant ago complete with supposed memories, how is it that you know that you're typing at your keyboard and having a conversation in an internet forum and, for that matter, know a likely winner of a Super Bowl in any given year?

Saying that I'm babbling is a poor explanation.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Uh-huh.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:02 pm
@mark noble,
Of course, quantum physics are a set of 'theories'... What else could they be? We're talking science here, not dogma.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
Doncha know? They're all guesses - not reality.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:07 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:

If that is so, then what is the worth of human life, in the realm of all things? How much money is worth the life of one child?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Human values differ from individual to individual. Some humans still sell their children for whatever reason.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 02:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, that is true. Let's see if Mark agrees.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 03:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You haven't addressed this question:

Quote:
If you don't know whether we are born and die, and whether you came into being an instant ago complete with supposed memories, how is it that you know that you're typing at your keyboard and having a conversation in an internet forum and, for that matter, know a likely winner of a Super Bowl in any given year?

Saying that I'm babbling is a poor explanation.

It may be a poor explanation...but it does have the advantage of being both true...and concise.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Uh-huh.

Thank you for agreeing with me that I am not inconsistent at all.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 07:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You do go by two very different and inconsistent ideas about what is reality. Until you've addressed that, no amount of posturing will save you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You do go by two very different and inconsistent ideas about what is reality. Until you've addressed that, no amount of posturing will save you.

I have explained my position on that here...and in several other threads over the years...

...and there is no inconsistency. My position is logical and consistent.

Deal with it...I am not going to jump through hoops.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Your position is inconsistent and illogical. Deal with it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 08:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Your position is inconsistent and illogical. Deal with it.

My position is not illogical...and it most assuredly is not inconsistent.

Deal with it...or pretend that you are not. The choice is yours.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 07:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
How do you know that your ultimate reality is not to babble incoherently on A2K, while the rest of us is laughing at your expense?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2014 10:39 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

How do you know that your ultimate reality is not to babble incoherently on A2K, while the rest of us is laughing at your expense?

I am laughing at the comment, "...the rest of us IS laughing at...!"

In any case, if you are laughing...great; it is a win/win situation we are in.

In the meantime, I am not babbling...coherently or incoherently.