The 'SOUL'. What is it?

Olivier5

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 09:10 am
@mark noble,
The cogito is perfectly correct. If thoughts happen, they exist. If thoughts exist, they exist in some 'space'. Such a space is the self, whose existence is thus proven.
martinies

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 09:29 am
@Olivier5,
Yeah the spirit is consiousness.its got to be awarness that knows the line between good and bad.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:22 am
@martinies,
I repeat, it's conscience rather than consciouosness that distinguishes between good and bad.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:25 am
@JLNobody,
An unconscious entity can be neither good nor bad.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:30 am
@Olivier5,
I find it difficult to locate a thought (including the feeling of self) in space. In "time perhaps. Are you thinking about some kind of homunculus in the body?
JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think Freud located the capacity for guilt in the conscience (superego); and one can in fact suffer from unconscious guilt.
martinies

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 10:42 am
@JLNobody,
Yeah the super ego is the nonevent self.indistinguishable in all observers and other animals.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:11 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I think Freud located the capacity for guilt in the conscience (superego); and one can in fact suffer from unconscious guilt.
More likely, that 'd be sub-conscious than unconscious.
martinies

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Dont you think it likely that there would be a connection between conscience and conscious awareness.if there is no conscious awareness there cant be a conscience.so awareness equals conscience.especially in terms of identity in the event.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 11:29 am
@martinies,
The real question is, does the brain continue to function even in an unconscious state? MRI's show brain activity while unconscious.
martinies

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think the real question is.Does conscious awareness exist independent of the brain.and does consciousness experience the event via a brain.so the brain is inside its own limitless consciousness.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:35 pm
@martinies,
The brain is the slave of the individual's genes and environment and how that individual perceives them. How it plays out is as varied as there are humans. No two people live exactly the same life.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:47 pm
@martinies,
martinies wrote:

Dont you think it likely that there would be a connection between conscience and conscious awareness.if there is no conscious awareness there cant be a conscience.so awareness equals conscience.especially in terms of identity in the event.
No. Of 2 men who participate in similar circumstances,
1 might have a conscience and the other does not care,
but both r awake n aware.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:49 pm
@martinies,
martinies wrote:
I think the real question is.Does conscious awareness exist independent of the brain.and does consciousness experience the event via a brain.so the brain is inside its own limitless consciousness.
The REAL question is Y u fail to apply the space bar
after u hit the period.

David
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The real question is, why do you make that such a big deal?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:34 pm
@JLNobody,
By 'space' I mean a mathematical or logical 'context' or 'field' in which thoughts evolve and interact, not a geometric space. Such a 'mental space' would have certain properties and boundaries beyond which the thoughts cannot 'go'. For instance, I cannot guess what your thoughts are, so there's a sort of boundary there. Our two mental spaces are distinct.
martinies

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Now thats awareness cicerone.the kind of awareness im talking about that could be independent of the event.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:50 pm
@Olivier5,
O.K..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:53 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, David. I, the guilt-ridden individual, and the psychopath, with his deficient or lack of conscience, may both be aware (conscious).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:57 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Yes, David. I, the guilt-ridden individual, and the psychopath, with his deficient or lack of conscience, may both be aware (conscious).
Yeah.
0 Replies