The 'SOUL'. What is it?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 08:20 pm
@MWal,
Which mental institution do you live in?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 08:21 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's the criteria of the discussion.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 09:52 pm

Guys, there have been a lot of people (meaning souls)
who have gotten out of their human bodies, like getting out of their cars,
have gotten back in again ( I being one) and told of it.

In some cases, their human bodies ceased functioning (i.e., no EEG, no EKG, no respiration for a while)
and then started up again when the guy got back inside his human body and sometimes, not always
(like not in my case after surgery) thay relate adventures that thay had while their brains were dead.
Anyway, the point is that the thing thay throw in the hole and cover with dirt is NOT the person himself.
It is just his property, like his shoes.
This bears upon the subject matter of this thread. www.IANDS.org

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 09:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
That post shows poor grammar, i.e., poor reasoning.
It shud be either: that is the criterion . . .
or
those r the criteria . . .

Good reasoning got us to the top of the food chain
and to the Moon. Let 's be loyal to accurate logic.

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 05:05 am
@carloslebaron,
carloslebaron wrote:

Quote:
A guess that there are no gods in REALITY is a blind guess. There is absolutely no way to know that there are no gods...and any "evidence" that is presented is so ambiguous as to constitute nothingness.

Uh?

Maybe in philosophy, but in science no one is obligated to prove a "negative". (no evidence is needed)

Who is asking anyone to prove a negative???

Apples grow on trees. (Does that add anything to this discussion?)

Quote:
Example only (not to be discussed):

There are no black holes! No need to prove their inexistence.
There are black holes! Oh yeah? Prove it!

You do not determine what is to be discussed or not, Carlos.

And once again, apples grow on trees. Does that add anything to this discussion?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 05:07 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

No it isn't.

Answer the questions...and we can move on from there.

Olivier5

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 10:50 am
@Olivier5,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Ghost_In_The_Machine_cover.jpg
mark noble

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:42 am
@Olivier5,
Nice one!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 09:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
God you're funny.

Once again, given the criteria of experience in regard to beliefs in "reality" (Re. your own post), the statements, "I believe there are no gods," and "I believe there is a god" aren't blind guesses because they are based on experience as well, the qualifier of "REALITY" notwithstanding.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
The fact that Frank doesn't know if there is a god IS HIS REALITY. Many humans has other ideas about god, and THAT'S THEIR REALITY.

Logic is very simple; word games not withstanding.
mark noble

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
But what if 'many humans' don't have 'other ideas'? That statement is made in accordance with 'your' reality and negates your proposal.

Is there any statement any of us can make about 'Reality' that has any substance to it?
Cheers Cic - Got my brain ticking.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:07 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
But what if 'many humans' don't have 'other ideas'?
That statement is made in accordance with 'your' reality and negates your proposal.

Is there any statement any of us can make about 'Reality' that has any substance to it?
Cheers Cic - Got my brain ticking.
Cogito ergo sum ?
mark noble

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Desc's 'Cogito' is flawed.
Cogito ergo Cogito' is correct.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:25 am
@mark noble,
No. His point was that he coud not do ANYTHING
without existing.
mark noble

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No. His philosophy was purely subjective - Therefor flawed.
I have fixed this now - So get used to it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 02:41 am
@mark noble,
R emotions subjective ?

R numbers subjective ?
( 3 times 7 unicorns = 21 unicorns )
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 02:52 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

God you're funny.

Once again, given the criteria of experience in regard to beliefs in "reality" (Re. your own post), the statements, "I believe there are no gods," and "I believe there is a god" aren't blind guesses because they are based on experience as well, the qualifier of "REALITY" notwithstanding.

Forget about what you suppose to be my qualifier...because you do not understand what I was saying. What I am attempting to do is to find out if you disagree with me on this particular...and if you do, why you do.

Let me try to refine this more...so you can stop the nonsense and give an answer...unless you are unwilling to do so, because you realize you do not disagree with me.

It is my contention that anyone who says, "I believe there are no gods" or "I believe there is a GOD" is merely expressing a blind guess...and disguising the fact that it is a blind guess by calling it a belief. They may be doing so consciously...or unconsciously...but they are doing that.

So again I ask you:

Do you agree with me or disagree with me that those so-called "beliefs" are nothing more than blind guesses?

If you disagree with me, I would like to know why you disagree?

If they are not blind guesses expressed as "beliefs"...what are they?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 03:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The fact that Frank doesn't know if there is a god IS HIS REALITY. Many humans has other ideas about god, and THAT'S THEIR REALITY.

The fact that I acknowledge that I do not know if there is a god...is my consideration and comment about the REALITY. The fact that some other people do not acknowledge that they do not know if there is a god...is their consideration and comment about the REALITY.'

If there are no gods...then the REALITY is that there are no gods no matter what I or anyone else thinks or acknowledges...and if there is a GOD (or are gods)...then the REALITY is that there is a GOD no matter what anyone thinks or acknowledges, ci.

We may have different notions of the REALITY; different considerations about the REALITY...and that is fine. But whatever IS...IS. And whatever IS...IS THE REALITY...no matter what any of us think about it. (Unless, of course, the REALITY is that we all have separate realities. But there is no way I can think of that anyone can know that.)
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:28 am
@ OmSigDAVID

Quote:
R emotions subjective ?

R numbers subjective ?
( 3 times 7 unicorns = 21 unicorns )

If not "subjective, then "abstract"

x^n + y^n = z^n (Fermat last theorem)

You can't prove it true or false using anything objective (physically real) like grains of rice replacing the numerical quantities.

0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:55 am
@Frank Apisa

Quote:

The fact that I acknowledge that I do not know if there is a god...is my consideration and comment about the REALITY. The fact that some other people do not acknowledge that they do not know if there is a god...is their consideration and comment about the REALITY.'

If there are no gods...then the REALITY is that there are no gods no matter what I or anyone else thinks or acknowledges...and if there is a GOD (or are gods)...then the REALITY is that there is a GOD no matter what anyone thinks or acknowledges, ci.

We may have different notions of the REALITY; different considerations about the REALITY...and that is fine. But whatever IS...IS. And whatever IS...IS THE REALITY...no matter what any of us think about it. (Unless, of course, the REALITY is that we all have separate realities. But there is no way I can think of that anyone can know that.)

Is the argument here that REALITY is subjected to the individual criteria?

Hello?

This is why is so important to discriminate the two different kind of "realities": Physical reality and the rest of realities (dreams, imaginations, thoughts, etc.).

An apple is the same reality for any man on earth. It can be called with different names, but it is real, can be tasted, can be seen, etc. and its characteristics are recognized by all as the same.

I am, therefore I think.

You can hate it or reject it as much as you want, but before you existing objectively, for you there is not any reality.

The existence of a god is not debated as something subjective, because thoughts are subjective and they do exist as such.

The common argument about the existence of a god is in the objective world. Here is when if you don't have facts to show, then you can't say that a god exist.

And is in this area -the subjective- where the beliefs differ between the ones who believe in a god.

For the rest, there is no god until is not shown physically.