Married vs. Single: Who is happier?

Eva

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 09:51 pm
Yes, do that, bromeliad. You can order from Godiva online. Be sure to charge it to his account. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 12:01 am
Godiva cures all in my opinion.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:10 am
If you're going to order chocolate, get the best:

Dagoba
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:57 am
In general, who is more likely to be happy?

People generally want what they don't have!! So if you're married, you'll think about the single life, and vise versa.
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:24 pm
I agree with you stand up for pessimism. :wink:
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:04 pm
bromeliad wrote:
doglover wrote:
... there are times when I wish I was single again. I could make every decision on my own without having to consider another person's point of view, I could date........or be alone when I felt like it.

Quote:
There ya go. That's why marriage sucks.
And being lonely sucks, too.

Like I said before the grass is always greener on the other side.

Quote:
Best scenario: have a place of your own and a significant other with a place of their own.

Yep. But neither of you has the key to the other's place. :wink:

Quote:
Right now my husband is off sulkingin the computer room. Perhaps he is working, or perhaps he is playing his stupid role-playing game or chatting with his online girlfriend.

Mine is too. He's playing his newest Tom Clancy PC game he bought tonight at Best Buy. I'm the one who spends evenings with an online boyfriend. LOL

Quote:
How was this precipitated?

I was in the kitchen preparing yogurt to make tadziki. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and he knows this (I made sure he was well aware of this before we were married). He comes up to me while I'm doing my thing and says "You know the train overpass on such and such road?" Of course I spill yogurt and make a mess. I sigh and say "No" (I'm bad with remembering places, too). So he turns on his heel and walks off in a huff .Now he doesn't want to watch the season finale of Enterprise which he'd taped.

Is this stupidor what?

Not stupid...typical. Sounds like your hubby should hook up with Pitter's wife. LOL
0 Replies

STxRose793

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:09 pm
Hi, I'm new... I think my husband wants to start a physical affair with his online gf
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 10:31 pm
STxRose793 wrote:
Hi, I'm new... I think my husband wants to start a physical affair with his online gf

I hope it's not me. LOL

Seriously, do you really think so? Why? What's he doing to make you think that?
0 Replies

STxRose793

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:26 am
This is a woman he worked with recently. When he quit the job, they began to e-mail A LOT! I checked the e-mails. She is sending love notes... saying I love you, I want you, etc. He is sending responses...saying, I miss touching you when we brush passing each other, etc. I confronted him. He said nothing had happened, yet.
I can't compete with the "other woman". We've been married 15 years, have 2 kids and lots of history. She's "new blood". I asked him to stop communicating with her and work on our relationship. He siad he had to think about it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:30 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
If you're going to order chocolate, get the best:

Dagoba

Cool! Yoda chocolate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:22 am
Yikes, STxRose. From what you say, your husband is being immature, selfish, deluded, and all kinds of bad things. However, if you want him to work on the relationship and he says "no", I don't know what you can do.

That sucks. Hope he comes around.

Meanwhile, maybe counselling just for you, if he won't go? This has to be incredibly difficult and can probably give you some tools for how to handle this.
0 Replies

STxRose793

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 01:12 pm
thanks sozobe.
We've had a really long talk and I pointed out that if he chooses to put his personal temporary desires over the family's long term health, he will loose the opportunity to be with his "little girls" for most of the rest of thier growing up lives. That got his attention.
I have hope for us... I just don't trust him anymore.
We've got a long way to go.
Thanks for responding... I haven't wanted to discuss this with any of our friends... I don't want to create permanent problems for our family.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 03:00 pm
STxRose793 wrote:

Thanks for responding... I haven't wanted to discuss this with any of our friends... I don't want to create permanent problems for our family.

You have made a wise decision not to discuss your situation with family and friends. I can tell you from personal experience, that after you and your hubby work things out and all is well between the two of you, some family members (especially) will remind you periodically in the future of what he had done in the past.

It's going to take time...a long time....for you to be able to trust him again. He shouldn't expect things to be exactly as they were before this other woman came along. I hope that with counseling, patience and lots of love you two will be able to work things out...and not just for the sake of the children, but for you two to have a happy marriage as well.

Welcome to A2K! You have an interesting name there STxRose793! What does it mean?
0 Replies

STxRose793

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 03:15 pm
Thanks doglover... what kinds of dogs do you have?

I know that time will be our best friend right now. I also know that I have to start putting him a little higher on my priority list so that this will not happen again. I know that we still love each other, we just have to get turned back around and heading in the same direction. I have also tried to hide any discussions and disagreements from our girls, that is very hard.

So, now I'm just waiting for him to say the words. So far, for the last three days, there has not been any electronic communications either way. I'm taking that as a good sign. Hopefully we've caught this in time and can nip it in the bud.

the name... I live in South Texas, love roses, and my oldest daughter's middle name is Rose. TXRose was taken, so I "went south".
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 03:30 pm
Right now we have one dog...Sissy, who is two and a half. She is a Pomeranian-Poodle mix. All white and fifteen pounds of pure joy...and energy LOL. We would like to add another doggie child to our family when the time is right.

Marriage is tough, isn't it? So often in my marriage, I long to go back to when we first got together and everything seemed so simple and we were so in love. I miss those first feelings of falling in love...the infatuation stage. I think that when people engage in an affair, they are trying to experience those feelings again. Eh, just my 2 Cents

BTW...do you mind if I call you Rose? That's such a pretty name and the smell of roses is one of the prettiest on earth.
0 Replies

STxRose793

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 03:44 pm
Sure call me Rose. It has lots of special meaning to me. The reason my daughter' smiddle name is Rose is for a wonderful woman who has been like another grandmother to me. She is over 90 years old and her given name is Elliot. When she met her husband, he told her he would only ever call her Rose because it fit her. She is Mrs. Rose to so many people, most do not know it is not a legal name.

How long have you been married? This year is #15 for us. Yes, marriage is the hardest thing I have ever done, but I believe the most rewarding. One of my friends told me when I was planning the wedding that "Marriage would be the most wonderful mistake I would ever make." She was right!

I agree that infatuation is a big factor, he even said that was what was going on... he was "infatuated" with this other woman. She isn't a bad person either, she is married, has a grown daughter who is getting married, and her mother-in-law who is showing the beginning of alzheimers lives with them. I encouraged him to be friends with her at the beginning because she seemed to really need a friend.

I have told him that I have always felt that "the other person" is not the "bad" guy. She is not the bad guy in our relationship, he is. If she continues to be "infatuated" with my husband, she is the "bad guy" in her marriage. Still... I can't stand the sound of her name. I don't like him to say it, I don't like to see it written, because she is the object of his betrayal.

I remind him that when we were going to all our pre-wedding parties, my favorite quote was "I'll be a widow before I'll be a divorcee." LOL
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:07 pm
Regarding the statistic that married men live longer, other research -mostly me asking other married men- shows that it only seems longer.

Joe
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 04:48 pm
Rose....you have a PM.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:10 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Regarding the statistic that married men live longer, other research -mostly me asking other married men- shows that it only seems longer.

Joe

Laughing

I wonder what married guys do for fun. Do married guys get together and play poker these days? Is there any time for yourself? Or is it always you, the wife, and/or another couple or couples when you go out? Do you go out? Is there ever any time when you can just relax by yourself? I guess what I'm getting at is . . . are you guys whipped?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:34 pm
You don't think married WOMEN wanna get away?

Actually - this is a totally non-qualified observation, so don't hang me, ok?

I just get the impression that the US is a way more MARRIED place. I know lots of single folk - some who never wanted to marry (like me) - you know, serial monogamists (or almost!) and such - and lots of once were married folk - it is no big deal. I get the sense it IS a bigger deal over there? Could just be the particular "village" I live in, I know, here - you know, folk with similar values?

Also, here - women - when partnered - unless they are as dim as dead lightbulbs - tend to want to get out with THEIR friends - do stuff on their own - unless they are in highly dependent (dead lightbulbs) or controlling/abusive relationships.

Guys do their stuff, usually, too. Although, I observe from long experience, that they tend to have less rich networks, and rely more on the women to arrange their social life - I have had lots of guys I was just sharing a house with schmooze their way into MY networks!! I know some guys with very rich social networks, too, don't get me wrong.

I guess I am just saying that here I observe very few couples sort of welded together - IS it different over there?
0 Replies