I saw a white man with a gun. I heard a policeman saying, "Place the weapon down on the ground, ple

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 03:00 am
Quote:
The country's first official SWAT team started in the late 1960s in Los Angeles. By 1975, there were approximately 500 such units. Today, there are thousands. According to surveys conducted by the criminologist Peter Kraska of Eastern Kentucky University, just 13% of towns between 25,000 and 50,000 people had a SWAT team in 1983. By 2005, the figure was up to 80%.

The number of raids conducted by SWAT-like police units has grown accordingly. In the 1970s, there were just a few hundred a year; by the early 1980s, there were some 3,000 a year. In 2005 (the last year for which Dr. Kraska collected data), there were approximately 50,000 raids. Some federal agencies also now have their own SWAT teams, including NASA and the Department of the Interior.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323848804578608040780519904
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 06:39 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/10429314_10152484823363001_5538406433254333862_n.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 11:54 am
@edgarblythe,
My argument directly addresses the article you posted. If you didn't want it to be part of the discussion, you should not have provided the link.

No one has to say "all cops are bad" to promote the narrative I am suggesting is not only inaccurate but dangerous: That there are "many" racist white cops looking for the opportunity to beat up or kill black men. This is precisely what some of you or raging or insinuating.

There are people (some in this forum) that have been decrying a police state in America for years. And saying that "it is almost that bad" is as bad.

We should, as citizens be mindful of how the police are armed and how they act. They are the agents of government coercion, and they can easily be used to advance political agendas of any stripe, but there is a difference between keeping a watchful eye on them and exaggerating the frequency and motivations of isolated incidents.

As for some of the stats provided. Alone, they can be interpreted in different ways. That police violence is rising while violent crimes are decreasing, may not be enigmatic at all. It may be cause and effect. The Stop & Frisk procedure is a perfect example of the tension between security and liberty.

It is undeniable that the procedure was effective in reducing crime and the number of guns on the street, while rare, some of what essentially boiled down to confrontations may have escalated to a situation where police violence was required. Now that the procedure has been forbidden, crime and guns will increase. The people of NY, by voting as they did, apparently are OK with that equation. I wouldn't be but I don't live in NY. I doubt as many New Yorkers as voted for the new mayor will be OK with it either, but there were plenty of "experts" playing with stats and telling voters it never really worked anyway.

NY is on the down side of a cycle it's been through before. You'd think they would learn, but obviously they don't.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 06:38 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
giujohn wrote:

I'd rather them not perform their duty as long as they think their duty includes beating the **** out of everybody who looks twice at them. I'd rather them not perform their duty as long as their duty includes killing innocent people and getting a paid vacation, followed by a promotion

You need to check yourself...I DIDNT WRITE THIS...YOU DID (are ya having a senoir moment?)
giujohn

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 06:47 pm
@FBM,
Having posted the above about swat teams I take it you are opposed to them. SO...what is YOUR proposal to rectify the situation???
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 07:02 pm
@giujohn,
Silly, Giu.

It's psychology. Idiots bring down higher power... with their idiocy.

It's fun to watch.
giujohn

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 07:09 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
(are ya having a senoir moment?)

I retract this...I see your a grad student so Im going to assume you are not senile.

SO WHAT ARE YA SMOKIN?

Oh, BTW, FYI, your supposed to eat kimchee, not smoke it
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:17 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
giujohn wrote:

I'd rather them not perform their duty as long as they think their duty includes beating the **** out of everybody who looks twice at them. I'd rather them not perform their duty as long as their duty includes killing innocent people and getting a paid vacation, followed by a promotion

You need to check yourself...I DIDNT WRITE THIS...YOU DID (are ya having a senoir moment?)

No, rather you seem to be having an infantile one. You bolded and enlarged misleading parts and I guided you to the relevant ones.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:19 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Having posted the above about swat teams I take it you are opposed to them. SO...what is YOUR proposal to rectify the situation???

I understand from psychology that black-or-white thinking is a characteristic of an adolescent stage of emotional development that impairs reasoning. I'm not against SWAT teams themselves, I'm against using them to establish a de facto police state in which citizens' constitutioinal rights are ignored. Look at the numbers I posted above.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:21 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
One Eyed Mind wrote:

Silly, Giu.

It's psychology. Idiots bring down higher power... with their idiocy.

It's fun to watch.

Must you make this personal? How about defending your position with data instead? That's what I'm doing. Childish name-calling is wearisome and unproductive.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:29 pm
@FBM,
But, FBM.

Look at your response.

People say things to me every day, but it doesn't affect me - only some things affect me, and it's because they were digging into something about me that I was not being honest with myself in.

So what I said then struck a nerve in you - it would be best for you to start being honest with yourself, instead of enslaving your brain with violence and hatred you find on the internet that is based on FACETIOUS LIES.

I just got done saving my friend from them - now, come FBM. Who are you going to choose? Things on the internet you cannot prove outside of your emotional reactions? Or someone who can see beyond emotion and pain?
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:39 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Again, you're describing a level of emotional intensity that doesn't exist in me. You seem to be transferring that intensity from some other experience(s) you've had. I'm suggesting that perhaps we might get better results if we both brought more data instead of more rhetoric.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:45 pm
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/031513chart.jpg
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:55 pm
@FBM,
It does exist, FBM. Look at you - wise men don't live their lives fighting a small cause whether it existed or not. They lived their life like water, with fire contained within - there's only one reason why you are focused on an internet rally towards militants, and it's not because of the reasons you say. You are projecting your own inner anger unto these videos, pictures and literature about the military, when you are living in fear; not freedom. Wise men lived as they did because they knew what is true and what is a life; they also knew what appears true and what appears to be a lie. They knew the differences - you don't, which is why you spend your life on the internet's recycled hatred and facetious lies.

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:56 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/06/24/new-aclu-report-takes-a-snapshot-of-police-militarization-in-the-united-states/

Quote:
New ACLU report takes a snapshot of police militarization in the United States

By Radley Balko June 24
The American Civil Liberties Union has released the results of its year-long study of police militarization. The study looked at 800 deployments of SWAT teams among 20 local, state and federal police agencies in 2011-2012. Among the notable findings:

62 percent of the SWAT raids surveyed were to conduct searches for drugs.
Just under 80 percent were to serve a search warrant, meaning eight in 10 SWAT raids were not initiated to apprehend a school shooter, hostage taker, or escaped felon (the common justification for these tactics), but to investigate someone still only suspected of committing a crime.
In fact, just 7 percent of SWAT raids were “for hostage, barricade, or active shooter scenarios.”
In at least 36 percent of the SWAT raids studies, no contraband of any kind was found. The report notes that due to incomplete police reports on these raids this figure could be as high as 65 percent.
SWAT tactics are disproportionately used on people of color.
65 percent of SWAT deployments resulted in some sort of forced entry into a private home, by way of a battering ram, boot, or some sort of explosive device. In over half those raids, the police failed to find any sort of weapon, the presence of which was cited as the reason for the violent tactics.
Ironically (or perhaps not), searches to serve warrants on people suspected of drug crimes were more likely to result in forced entry than raids conducted for other purposes.
Though often justified for rare incidents like school shootings or terrorist situations, the armored personnel vehicles police departments are getting from the Pentagon and through grants from the Department of Homeland Security are commonly used on drug raids.

In other words, where violent, volatile SWAT tactics were once used only in limited situations where someone was in the process of or about to commit a violent crime — where the police were using violence only to defuse an already violent situation — SWAT teams today are overwhelmingly used to investigate people who are still only suspected of committing nonviolent consensual crimes. And because these raids often involve forced entry into homes, often at night, they’re actually creating violence and confrontation where there was none before.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 09:58 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
One thing I'll say you've got going for you is a very creative imagination. If you're not going to post data, I will. I have little appetite for empty, emotive rhetoric.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 10:06 pm
Quote:
The geographic diversity of these tragedies suggest that the problem is not centralized to one area of the country, but rather a widespread issue of concern. In 2007, a joint effort by ColorLines and the Chicago Reporter examined police shootings in the 10 largest cities in the U.S., and in every city, African Americans comprised a disproportionately large percentage of those killed.

The cities with the greatest racial disparity in these shootings were New York, San Diego, and Las Vegas — in each of these cities, the percentage of black people killed was at least twice that of their percentage of the city’s population. This means that if these statistics remained constant in 2010, when the percentage of black people in New York City was 25 percent, a whopping 50 percent of those killed in police shootings would have been of African American descent.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/36096-do-police-shoot-black-men-more-often-statistics-say-yes-absolutely

Data. Nice to have.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 10:16 pm
Mixed with the occasional anecdote:

0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 10:21 pm
@FBM,
What data? The data that other people with no sense of reality are posting? I have talked to MANY people - not one person has ever told me about this supposed violence in this world by militants. People are just wanking off your emotions, FBM.

And you let them...

Again, wise men do not worry about such things because they knew it couldn't be true because they're wise, not unwise.
FBM

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 10:29 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
I've brought numbers and statistics to the discussion. Got any?