I saw a white man with a gun. I heard a policeman saying, "Place the weapon down on the ground, ple

FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 10:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I believe police violence exacerbates the problem more than solving it. In what kind of environment can the police use military equipment against its own people? How does their military tactics reduce crime?
How many communities purchased or received military equipment where the community has been relatively crime free? For what purpose?
Are these police departments preparing for war with its own people?

Another thought; I hope somebody will step in front of those tanks like the Chinese citizen did in Tianenmen Square in Beijing to stop this craziness.

It does seem to be creating quite a political backlash, doesn't it? Thing is, if the police departments don't use that equipment within a year, they have to give it back. Guess what that encourages. To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-required-military-gear-year-return/
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 10:57 pm
@FBM,
No, I was making sure you weren't referring to FEMA CAMPS.

So let's discuss the graphs. It's been established what you intentions are, and what some arguments have been made, what's missing is your argument, FBM. Is there anything you're wanting out of this discussion? A belief you want to support? Or it is just you throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks?
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 10:58 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
The latter. I don't have a preferred conclusion. I'm still data-gathering.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:01 pm
@FBM,
Then I respect that.
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:03 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Cool.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:04 pm
@FBM,
Like Pluto.
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:07 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Poor Pluto. Getting demoted like that. It didn't do anything to deserve that.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:11 pm
@FBM,
I'm working on a theory that posits Pluto is not part of our solar system, but in fact is evidence that there is more than one ring to our Solar System - in fact, Pluto may be the start of the next ring. The sun is the core. It could be a great atom - please look at the picture of Pluto's orbit and the atom's orbit. Then tell me what you think.
giujohn

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:14 pm
Well lets see a show of hands..who wants to disarm the police?

Hey, why not establish police free zones where you can live with out any police.

Of course then you bleeding heart liberals would have to arm yourselves...now wouldnt that be the ultimate irony??

Know what I havent heard? Any of you geniuses coming up with a fix to your imagined problem? And the reason is obvious; any fix would sound laughable.

The police have changed with the times. Its like how unprepared we were before 9-11. So if crime is down we should of course disarm the police...which would then cause crime to rise because criminals arent stupid...and so it goes.

Who wants their police protection to be BARNEYified?

FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:15 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Mmm...but Rutherford's model of the atom didn't work out so well...
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:16 pm
@giujohn,
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#straw

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:21 pm
@FBM,
I think it's important to know how the planets are creating a ripple effect and the planets are in order of red/solid > blue/gas. There's something important about the solar system, so what exactly is difficult between Pluto's orbit and Rutherford's model? Don't you see how subatomic particles revolve around an atom, much like planets revolve around the sun?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:27 pm
@giujohn,
Where in hell do you find anybody arguing that the police should be disarmed? That's another straw man. What was suggested was that there is no valid reason for arming police as though they were an infantry platoon with armor support about to go into combat.

giujohn wrote:

Of course then you bleeding heart liberals would have to arm yourselves...now would that be the ultimate irony??

Why would that be such an irony? I know you consider me a "bleeding heart liberal." So please be advised that I am a member of the NRA and, from time to time, have owned quite an arsenal of weapons, including handguns.

Quote:
Know what I havent heard? Any of you geniuses coming up with a fix to your imagined problem? And the reason is obvious; any fix would sound laughable.

Is it "laughable' to suggest that law enforcement personnel should be held to the same standards of moral and legal behavior as the rest of the population? Is it "laughable" to demand that a police officer who commits a homicide be treated exactly the same as any civilian who does the same? The problem is not "imagined." It is real. It is disturbing.
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:27 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Wait. Do you mean "atom" or "nucleus"?
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

...I am a member of the NRA and, from time to time, have owned quite an arsenal of weapons, including handguns.

Same here. Never an active member, though.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:31 pm
@FBM,
But you still havent come up with an alternative I see.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:32 pm
@FBM,
Nucleus, yes.
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:34 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
One Eyed Mind wrote:

Nucleus, yes.

I'm not an expert on this, but I think electrons are the only subatomic particle outside the nucleus, and they're now modelled as fuzzy probability clouds rather than pinpoint particles. Uncertainty principle and all that.
FBM

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:35 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

But you still havent come up with an alternative I see.

That's neither my job nor my intent.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:37 pm
@FBM,
Yes, this theory of mine is working with the possibility of this being true, as it's really just a theory of mine. So the details have not quite been established, however I am confident enough to say that the similarities alone are enough to establish some kind of consensus to take note that there may be a self-similarity design relation system between how our solar system behaves and how the atomic world behaves. As above, so below; from form, to faculty; to, and fro.