I saw a white man with a gun. I heard a policeman saying, "Place the weapon down on the ground, ple

FBM

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 08:27 pm
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/14/nypd-paid-nearly-1-billion-to-settle-lawsuits/
Quote:
NYPD Paid Nearly $1 Billion To Settle Lawsuits

NEW YORK (AP / CBS 2) - The fiancee and friends of an unarmed man killed in a 50-bullet police shooting on his wedding day said they wanted justice. The legal system gave them money – more than $7 million.
The city did what it has done time and time again: pay.
Nearly $1 billion has been paid over the past decade to resolve claims against the nation’s largest police department, according to an investigation by The Associated Press. Some smaller departments also shell out tens of millions a year in payouts, but New York’s spending on police claims dwarfs that of any other U.S. city.
Taxpayers foot the bill – New York officials say the payments cost less than insurance would, and officers themselves don’t usually bear personal responsibility.
The $964 million in payouts covers everything from brutality cases to patrol-car wrecks to stationhouse accidents, and it includes settlements and trial awards. Some police officers have been sued again and again – including one officer at least seven times on excessive force and brutality claims. Some law firms have made it their primary business to sue the city.
City lawyers call the payouts a hard-fought cost of policing a metropolis of 8.3 million people – a price officials work to minimize through officer training and discipline. And the city has prevailed in thousands of cases, including some deadly shootings.
“We’re not pushovers,” said Fay Leoussis, one of the city’s chief lawyers.

But the city is literally paying for police mistakes without learning from them, critics say. In cases like the 50-bullet shooting, the city pays even when officers are acquitted of criminal charges and don’t admit wrongdoing.
“Right now it’s open season against the city. Just file a lawsuit, and you’re going to get money,” said City Council member Peter Vallone, who has sponsored a bill he hopes will make it impossible to pay out dubious claims. “Everyone makes out – except the taxpayer.”
Lawsuits against police are inevitable, some experts say – police interact with millions of citizens a year, confronting criminal suspects and the mentally ill, as well as the angry, opportunistic and litigious. A 2005 federal Bureau of Justice Statistics survey found that 90 percent of people say officers act properly, but other studies estimate about 30,000 lawsuits are filed against them a year.
To some who have sued and won, payouts don’t amount to true compensation.
“You can sue New York City, but it’s not really justifying what happened,” says Charles Shepherd, who spent about 14 years in prison on a murder conviction that hinged on the testimony of a witness who eventually admitted she’d lied; another man later confessed to the crime.
Shepherd settled in 2005 for $370,000 from the city and $1.65 million from the state.
“The city feels they can give you X amount of money” to make up for injustice, said Shepherd, 45, now a counselor for children with HIV. “It’s not fair whatsoever.”
Comparing cities’ payouts is complicated because of differences in record-keeping, the time frames of data available and the fact that the 35,000-officer NYPD is more than twice as big as any other U.S. police department.
But some rough comparisons can be made, using recent data several cities provided to the AP.
Chicago, with about a third of New York’s population, paid out an average of $39.1 million a year over the past six fiscal years; New York paid $96.4 million a year on average from 1999 to 2008, the most recent years available.
Chicago’s figures include a nearly $21 million payment in 2008 to a driver paralyzed when police slammed into his car while chasing someone else.
In Los Angeles, with less than half New York’s population, police paid an average of nearly $21.4 million a year in the past seven fiscal years.
Philadelphia, with less than a fifth of New York’s population, spent only about one-tenth as much as New York in payouts, averaging $9.2 million a year on payouts from 2005 to 2009. Philadelphia police track “problem” officers but through internal investigations, not lawsuits.
New York’s data don’t detail the nature of the police cases. But research into just some of the biggest payouts shows car accidents alone cost more than $30 million in those 10 years. Some multimillion-dollar settlements have gone to officers themselves for on-the-job injuries.
More than $23 million was spent to compensate for police bullets or brutality, millions more to settle claims of unjustified arrests and wrongful convictions.
Some officers are sued multiple times: In the past three years, one Brooklyn precinct sergeant has been sued at least seven times on excessive force and brutality claims, costing the city at least $188,250. A narcotics detective was the target of at least six suits that spurred $103,000 in payouts. The city has paid $171,500 to settle four suits against one plainclothes detective; another case against him is pending.
The city did not admit wrongdoing. Two of the officers are still on the force; one retired. None was charged criminally or disciplined, though the sergeant was later monitored for use of force.
Most departments don’t do much, if anything, with information from lawsuits; to them, if no wrongdoing is admitted, why bother tracking the cases?
But some experts believe mining the cases could lead to fewer suits.
Even if (officials) tracked the information just to decrease liability, isn’t that a good idea?” said Cynthia Conti-Cook of Stoll, Glickman and Bellina, a Brooklyn firm that has sued officers.
Last year, Vallone proposed tracking the city’s settlements to ensure it pays out only when liable and learns from the cases it does pay. The NYPD assigned a committee to look at the more costly payouts for evidence of perjury, corruption and other wrongdoing.
City lawyers say they do weigh claims with an eye on potential costs.
“Even though the facts may all be pointing to a justification of what you did, and no liability, if it’s going to a jury, then it’s always a question,” Leoussis said of the city law department. “You can’t afford to take that kind of risk.”
The nearly $7.2 million settlement in the Sean Bell case was the city’s largest settlement ever in a fatal police shooting.
Three officers opened fire on a car carrying the unarmed Bell, 23, and two friends. The officers said they thought the men were armed, and the men had ignored orders to stop. Bell died in a hail of 50 bullets around the corner from a Queens topless bar where he had just had a bachelor party.
The officers were acquitted of manslaughter in the 2006 shooting in state court; federal prosecutors declined to charge them with civil rights crimes.
The shooting led to police reforms ranging from added firearms training to rule changes for undercover work. The officers still face disciplinary proceedings that could cost them their jobs.
Bell’s friend Joseph Guzman, shot 17 times, ended up with $3 million.
But, he said, “nobody wins in this.”
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 08:32 pm
Hmmm...yet another panel of experts says...there's a problem...imagine that.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/29/us-usa-missouri-shooting-un-idUSKBN0GT1ZQ20140829

Quote:
U.N. urges U.S. to stop police brutality after Missouri shooting

(Reuters) - The U.N. racism watchdog urged the United States on Friday to halt the excessive use of force by police after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white policeman touched off riots in Ferguson, Missouri.

Minorities, particularly African Americans, are victims of disparities, the U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) said after examining the U.S. record.

"Racial and ethnic discrimination remains a serious and persistent problem in all areas of life from de facto school segregation, access to health care and housing," Noureddine Amir, CERD committee vice chairman, told a news briefing.

Teenager Michael Brown was shot dead by a white police officer on Aug. 9, triggering violent protests that rocked Ferguson - a St. Louis suburb - and shone a global spotlight on the state of race relations in America.

"The excessive use of force by law enforcement officials against racial and ethnic minorities is an ongoing issue of concern and particularly in light of the shooting of Michael Brown," said Amir, an expert from Algeria.

"This is not an isolated event and illustrates a bigger problem in the United States, such as racial bias among law enforcement officials, the lack of proper implementation of rules and regulations governing the use of force, and the inadequacy of training of law enforcement officials."

The panel of 18 independent experts grilled a senior U.S. delegation on Aug. 13 about what they said was persistent racial discrimination against African-Americans and other minorities, including within the criminal justice system.

U.S. Ambassador Keith Harper told the panel that his nation had made "great strides toward eliminating racial discrimination" but conceded that "we have much left to do".

Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson, who shot Brown, has been put on paid leave and is in hiding. A St. Louis County grand jury has begun hearing evidence and the U.S. Justice Department has opened its own investigation.

Police have said Brown struggled with Wilson when shot. But some witnesses say Brown held up his hands and was surrendering when he was shot multiple times in the head and chest.

"STAND YOUR GROUND" LAWS

In its conclusions issued on Friday, the U.N. panel said "Stand Your Ground" Laws, a controversial self-defense statute in 22 U.S. states, should be reviewed to "remove far-reaching immunity and ensure strict adherence to principles of necessity and proportionality when deadly force is used for self-defense".

Ron Davis, father of Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old shot dead in a car in Jacksonville, Florida during an argument over loud rap music in November 2012, attended the Geneva session. Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teen killed in Miami, Florida by a neighborhood watch volunteer, testified.

The U.N. panel monitors compliance with a treaty ratified by 177 countries including the United States.

"The Committee remains concerned at the practice of racial profiling of racial or ethnic minorities by law enforcement officials, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Transportation Security Administration, border enforcement officials and local police," it said, urging investigations.

The experts called for addressing obstacles faced by minorities and indigenous peoples to exercise their right to vote effectively. This was due to restrictive voter identification laws, district gerrymandering and state-level laws that disenfranchise people convicted of felonies, it said.

Jamil Dakwar of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said the U.N. recommendations highlighted "shortcomings on racial equality that we are seeing play out today on our streets, at our borders and in the voting booth.

"When it comes to human rights, the United States must practice at home what it preaches abroad," he said.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:16 pm
@FBM,
Unfortunately, the UN has no influence on the US. NONE.

FBM

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yep. It all flows the other way 'round, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 02:09 pm
@FBM,
Now he's aligened with the UN. That fits his agenda...they want ALL fire arms in the U.S confiscated even from police leaving guns ONLY in the hands of the military...THEIRS!
Sound familar...ADOLF?
hingehead

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 04:32 pm
@giujohn,
I'm surprised it took you this long to invoke Godwin's Law.
parados

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 04:34 pm
@giujohn,
I see you like to run around without your head.
The UN Is not attempting to confiscate all firearms in the US. The treaty in no way comes close to doing that.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 08:31 pm
Of course I have no proof. A new story convinces me the cops planted blood and a gun in the cop car. Justice will never be served.
FBM

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 09:48 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Now he's aligened with the UN. That fits his agenda...they want ALL fire arms in the U.S confiscated even from police leaving guns ONLY in the hands of the military...THEIRS!
Sound familar...ADOLF?

Whatever you say.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/conspiracy_theorist.jpg
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 05:22 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Godwin's Law.

You havent been paying attention...I've used it before...I calls em as I sees em
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 05:25 pm
@parados,
Quote:
The UN Is not attempting to confiscate all firearms in the US

In the past UN has stated on several occasions their desire to see all guns taken out tof the hands of U.S. citizens and the police.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 05:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Of course I have no proof. A new story convinces me the cops planted blood and a gun in the cop car

Did you hear the one where NASA faked the moon landing???

No proof...but you're CONVINCED...RIIIIIIGHT!

So with every one watching the body AND videoing it they went to the body scooped up some blood and smeared it in the car and on the gun....RIIIIIIGHT!.

I think Brown waited for the cop to go to lunch pricked his finger bumbed into the cop eariler in the day and smeared his blood on the officers gun then while the cop was at lunch did the same to the cops car. THEN he waited and did the robbery so that he could confront this cop get killed so his parents could sue!
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 05:35 pm
******* morons.
parados

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 09:08 pm
@giujohn,
Yes you are a ******* moron if you are going to say the UN wants to take all guns out of the hands of US citizens. I'll bet you can't find a single statement by the UN that says that. Any statement you do find will have to be so twisted from the actual language to even think that.
FBM

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 10:26 pm
@giujohn,
Hmm. The UN, FBI, DOJ, international media, independent citizen journalists...all dumdasses and morons. There's only one champion who sees the world as it really is. We are such a blessed forum to have him grace our presence and enlighten our understanding with facts, details, statistical analysis and testomonies of relevant experts. http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/anim_37_zpspmbfx424.gif
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 10:33 pm
Why do you guys continue to feed this troll? I put him on 'ignore' ages ago.
FBM

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2014 10:59 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's just free entertainment to me. Can't speak for anyone else. Wink
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 04:43 am
Wow. Why doesn't such incidents as this get as much media attention as some B-grade actress's nip slip? Why is he-said-she-said kinda crap more integral to the health and future of our society than stories like this that barely make it on the local radar?

Quote:
Sleeping 7-year-old girl shot in head during no-knock police raid on wrong home
"They blew my granddaughter's brains out. They killed her right before my eyes. I watched the light go out of her eyes."

Story and vid of raid at link.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/aiyana-stanley-jones-raid/

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 06:04 pm
@parados,
You're right PARDOS...The UN isnt for gun control. What the **** was I thinking. The Secretary General certainly didnt say there are too many guns in the world. Former UN ambassador Bolton's warning that the ATT could lead to gun confiscation in the U.S. is just plain wrong.
The U.N. and many of its member states are NOT hostile to the private ownership of firearms. (those Aussies are just cry babies)
I applaude the UNs effort to make the world a better place for me according to their definition.

I for one welcome our wise and benevolent UN overlords.
giujohn

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2014 06:06 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
We are such a blessed forum to have him grace our presence and enlighten our understanding with facts, details, statistical analysis and testomonies of relevant experts.

Well, it's a little late, but as long as you've finally seen the light....