Realistic preparations for US Isis attack

Brandon9000

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 06:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's interesting to see so many people afraid of ISIS than all the daily dangers we encounter at home. The probability that we'll be killed by an ISIS member is about zero while we are exposed to all manners of dangers at home. Just driving one's car in their own neighborhood has a much higher probability than almost anything else in our lives. Millions of people fly every day around this planet without much fear of ISIS.

Interesting how fear impacts different people.

If another 9/11 or 7/7 occurs, the probability that I personally would be killed is about nil, but I wouldn't like to see it happen. ISIS are not nice people. They are responsible for beheadings, burying people alive, and demanding that towns or large groups of people convert to Islam. They are our enemies and I don't want to see what they can do on our soil. We should try to see that it doesn't happen and not purely in reaction mode.
Rickoshay75

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 06:24 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

So, how would you prevent ISIS from striking in a US city?

Stop blindly supporting Israel? Close Gitmo? Stop lying?

One more way would be stop their funding source.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 06:26 pm
@Brandon9000,
The US is already aware of ISIS and the danger they pose to the world and the US.

Any fear beyond that knowledge is unreasonable fear.

That's because as individuals, there's nothing we can do that goes beyond what our government (and our allies) is/are already doing.

In the reality of life, there are more dangers close to home than there are potential attacks against you from ISIS.

It's about perspective.

0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 06:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

contrex wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

So, how would you prevent ISIS from striking in a US city?

Stop blindly supporting Israel? Close Gitmo? Stop lying?

Yeah...ISIS appears to be a very rational group who undoubtedly would react reasonably and generously to moves of that sort.

Even though it's tongue in cheek, you may be right. Maybe Isis is more than just a name, it could either be the profound answer to a question, or a take off of what Bill Clinton said...

"It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

coldjoint

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 07:16 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Let's see. Mark Twain vs. rape, murder, forced conversion or death. These people can't be explained away. These people need to be killed. There is really no excuse not to.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 08:39 pm
Anyone...and I mean ANYONE who identifies themself as a memeber of ANY radical muslim group or jihadist who has vowed to kill americans or other of are allies should be hunted down and killed. Period.
Either we are at war or not. If we are, there is a guiding principle in war; you KILL the enemy. If they want to live they can turn themselves in for immediate incareration for the duration of the war. Anyone who is found in this counrty should be immediately detained by any means necessary and sent to a POW camp for the duration...NO EXCEPTIONS, NO DUE PROCESS. If another attack is visited on our soil anyone identified as an enemy combatant who resists should be shot.
These scum only understand those who operate from a position of strength and will scorn and laugh at those who treat them as if they had any rights of a civilized society.
The sooner we accept this, the sooner we will be rid of the threat.
coldjoint

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 10:38 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Anyone...and I mean ANYONE who identifies themself as a memeber of ANY radical muslim group or jihadist who has vowed to kill americans or other of are allies should be hunted down and killed. Period.

http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/cheer.gif
Quehoniaomath

Sun 31 Aug, 2014 11:39 pm
@coldjoint,
you are an idiot and a moron if you really believe this.
revelette2

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 08:38 am
From what I have read, briefly, there is a difference between Al Qaeda and ISIS, in fact according to WP, AQ has disavowed any ties with ISIS.

Al-Qaeda disavows any ties with radical Islamist ISIS group in Syria, Iraq

Quote:
BEIRUT — Al-Qaeda formally dissociated itself from its onetime affiliate in Iraq and Syria on Monday, culminating months of feuding and exposing the dwindling influence of the group’s leadership over an emerging new generation of radicals.

The repudiation of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria came after the failure of repeated efforts
by al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri to heal a dispute between ISIS and the officially anointed al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra that has erupted in fighting in parts of rebel-held northern Syria.

ISIS “is not a branch of the al-Qaeda group . . . does not have an organizational relationship with it and [al-Qaeda] is not the group responsible for their actions,” al-Qaeda’s General Command said in a statement, marking the first time the leadership has formally repudiated an affiliate.

Juan Cole has more in depth on the subject.

Islamic State of Iraq & Levant too Extreme for al-Qaeda

Quote:
(By Juan Cole)

Ayman al-Zawahiri, now the leader of the international terrorist organization, al-Qaeda, has disavowed the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). ISIL (also called ISIS, substituting Syria for ‘Levant’) controls Falluja and part of Ramadi in Iraq, along with parts of Aleppo and its hinterland in Syria. It has been involved in a sanguinary battle with other Sunni extremist militias in northern Syria, including Jabhat al-Nusra (the Succor Front) for several weeks, which has left 2000 dead at a time when the Baath regime of Bashar al-Assad has regrouped and launched assaults on the rebels. I found the Arabic text with an Arabic web site search but am not linking for obvious reasons.

Al-Zawahiri said, “Al-Qaeda al-Jihad announces that it has no link to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. It did not create it, did not invest it with authority, did not consult with it, and did not express approval of it. Rather, al-Qaeda ordered it to stop its actions. Therefore, it is not an al-Qaeda affiliate, no organizational relationship binds the two, and al-Qaeda is not responsible for its behavior.”

Al-Zawahiri is clearly embarrassed by the ISIL attacks on other jihadis and is afraid people will think he put them up to it. He attempted to reaffirm his “commitment to brotherhood among Muslims and jihadis.”

He lambasted Abu Bakr Baghdadi, the ISIL leader, for not consulting others or acting in concert with other fighters, and condemned resorting to public propaganda against other groups instead of resolving differences privately.

The letter underlines what I have been saying for some time, which is that it is a mistake to see the so-called al-Qaeda affiliates as the same sort of phenomenon as core al-Qaeda. It is clear that ISIL does not have a reporting line to al-Zawahiri and has repeatedly just blown him off. The same is true of the other “affiliates.” These radical Sunnis just declare an al-Qaeda affiliation to increase the fear with which they are viewed. It isn’t organizational, and al-Zawahiri has admitted as much. That isn’t to deny that some core al-Qaeda operatives have occasionally shown up in the affiliates, or that al-Zawahiri tries to communicate to them. But he can’t give them orders. Moreover, they are interested in the ‘near enemy,’ in taking on regional leaders like Bashar al-Assad in Syria or PM Nouri al-Maliki in Iraq. With the exception of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula in Yemen (AQAP), they don’t seem interested in hitting US targets, and that kind of thing seems to have tapered off in AQAP in any case.

ISIL is a nasty piece of business, a kind of religious/ political license for serial killing. So is al-Qaeda. But that the latter is embarrassed about the former is telling.

So, going by this, I am not sure ISIS goal is hitting US targets.

oralloy

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 09:03 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
So, going by this, I am not sure ISIS goal is hitting US targets.

Their goal is total conquest of the entire planet and the genocide of all non-Muslims.

Even if they were of a mind to not attack us for now, if left unchecked they'd get around to us eventually.
cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 09:16 am
@oralloy,
Another 9/11? When and where?

Entire planet? LOL Your imagination is only exceeded by your ignorance.

How many countries do you think they'll be taking over this year and next?
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 09:45 am
fear mongering.
Quehoniaomath

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 10:28 am
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgJ9b1BdXBqBVbpXQK-blhA-EqhzOCiza4f0LGL5fD1P3UfoZq
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 12:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
I see you and I have at least one point of agreement.
Frank Apisa

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 12:46 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I see you and I have at least one point of agreement.

I agree with Brandon on this point also...and he expressed it about as clearly as it could be expressed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 01:19 pm
I agree that those people are dangerous and that their friends could hit us on our soil. You can bet the government is trying to keep it from happening here. As for going into an all out invasion mode, I don't see it happening. Seems the more of them they kill, the more of them are radicalized. I can see bombing and such, but no ground forces. I also figure the rest of the world needs to get more deeply involved.
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
You cant defeat ISIS with safety measures or with military force because what fuels it is civilization breakdown. This is what happens when you have rigid class structures and no hope for peaceful change because the political system is corrupt and dysfunctional. You have to institute reforms before you can save civilization, and at the moment we are no where near doing it because almost no one understands the nature of the problem.

The Europeans are currently scratching their heads as to why so many of their citizens have gone to so much work to join ISIS, so they might have a light bulb moment soon, but I am not counting on it.
timur

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 01:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, it seems that the Europeans are not alone in scratching their heads:

IBT wrote:
The number of Americans who joined rebel factions in Syria has doubled since January, a U.S. official told the Times, most of them young men. The Pentagon said it was aware of a “handful” of Americans fighting in Syria and thought nearly 100 have gone since the civil war began three years ago. Americans who have adopted the Islamic State’s ideology and been trained by the militant group in Syria pose a serious threat to national security. U.S. citizens who still have their passports might be able to return to the U.S. and carry out attacks from within the country.
cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 01:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're right on target; most international countries understand the growing threat of ISIS, but none are willing to get involved enough to plan and do what's needed to control their growth. Most countries will let their intelligence service continue to investigate their action plans, but it will not be enough to stop their growth. We'll just have to wait and see, but the longer everybody waits, the more difficult is will become to control them.

Look at Ukraine; the Russians have invaded that country, but nobody is willing to stand up to their aggression.
hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 01:53 pm
@timur,
Imagine trying to protect ourselves from thousands or tens of thousands of Timothy McVeighs without first inventing brain scan technology to find them. It cant be done. The only way to protect the society is preventing that mindset from developing. Despite the assurances from the elite that the way to do this is with communication suppression (The PC movement), the only way to do this is to show people a better idea. That better idea has to be relieving the masses from the oppression from capital holders and governments.
0 Replies