Weasel words

msolga

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:06 am
Roadkill = "vehicle-induced wildlife fatalities"
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:37 pm
Quote:
Selected targets or attacks can then be rapidly coordinated and deconflicted using the bullseye as a common reference

deconflicted? = 'blow the crap out of'
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:05 am
"full sovereignty" http://www.imthezoot.com/archives/bush-thumb.jpg
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:07 pm
He's not dead. He's electroencephalographically challenged.
Very Happy

Anyway, you can't blame the politicians. It's the fault of the stupid mass. No system so far has been thought of -if you know any please tell me!- in which all can be happy, equal and honest without the proper extermination and exploitation of a massive number of people. communisme is a nice example. But our current system is ever so subtle. Instead of official aristocrats, the clever and scrupulous are filtered through the system. The only way they succeed (get high up the ladder and have a political status) is if they're able to manipulate their environment and people around them properly. Anyway, I might be posting this on the wrong forum, BUT the point is (and this is why I'm posting it here) :

Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:25 pm
Quote:
The president tells aides he wants to "go over the heads of the reporters" in order to "circumvent" a "hostile press." He later describes his effort to "tell my story directly to the people rather than funnel it to them through a press account."

The year: 1969. The president: Richard M. Nixon.

Yet Nixon's words are eerily similar to those uttered last month by President Bush. "I'm mindful of the filter through which some news travels, and somehow you just got to go over the heads of the filter and speak directly to the people," he said in an interview with regional broadcaster Hearst-Argyle in one such bid to circumvent what he perceives as a hostile press.

To Nixon historian David Greenberg, it is one of many similarities in style between the two men. From the way they structure their administrations to their many escapes to Camp David and the prominence of American flags on the lapel pins of aides, the likenesses are powerful.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:45 pm
Very upsetting BillW - do you think he remembers or is studying to follow in Ticky Dick's footsteps.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:57 pm
BillW wrote:
"full sovereignty" http://www.imthezoot.com/archives/bush-thumb.jpg

LOL,

Bush: "Home is important. It's important to have a home." lol ---- bushims
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:01 pm
I've been investigating job ads & have come to loathe some of the terminology of business advertising. *Team player* is top of my list. As if work is some sort of fun game?! Mad

I also like the word *flexible*. I think it means that you can expect to do just about anything the boss wants. Laughing
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:30 pm
Two years ago my company downsized, then eliminated many of its employee jobs including mine. Since then they have conveniently changed their name and obtained very huge monetary profit...I like to call this corporate terrorism Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:44 pm
And *downsizing* is a very pleasant way of describing sacking workers! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:32 pm
.... This is how the fantasy runs: a city of mostly ordinary people is now only ever referred to as a "militants' stronghold" or "insurgents' redoubt". The city is being "softened up" with precision attacks from the air. Pacifying Fallujah has become the key to stabilising the country before the January elections. The "final assault" is imminent, in which the foreigners who have infiltrated the almost deserted Iraqi city with their extremist Islam will be "cleared", "rooted out" or "crushed". Or, as one marine put it: "We will win the hearts and minds of Fallujah by ridding the city of insurgents. We're doing that by patrolling the streets and killing the enemy."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Opinion/The-silence-of-Fallujah/2004/11/09/1099781388908.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:32 pm
"de-insurgencied"

A new one used my mcGentrix today.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 07:24 am
I just learned a new one: "rendition".
It's when, courtesy of the CIA, "terrorist suspects" are secretly jetted off to other locations & interrogated:

Since Sept. 11, 2001, secret renditions have become a principal weapon in the CIA's arsenal against suspected al Qaeda terrorists, according to congressional testimony by CIA officials. But as the practice has grown, the agency has had significantly more difficulty keeping it secret.

According to airport officials, public documents and hobbyist plane spotters, the Gulfstream V, with tail number N379P, has been used to whisk detainees into or out of Jakarta, Indonesia; Pakistan; Egypt; and Sweden, usually at night, and has landed at well-known U.S. government refueling stops.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1220333#1220333
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 07:30 am
Would someone like to explain, or hazard a guess, even, why this activity is called rendition? I don't get it. Confused
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:24 am
“Weasel word” is a metaphor based on the behaviour of real weasels – the habit they have of raiding chicken runs and stealing the eggs by sucking the contents so neatly that the eggs still look perfect, and it’s only when you pick up the egg that you realise it’s empty and useless. So a weasel word isn’t just euphemistic or tendentious; it’s specifically one that sucks the meaning out of the words next to it. Theodore Roosevelt popularised the phrase in a 1916 speech, saying 'You can have universal training or you can have voluntary training, but when you use the word 'voluntary' to qualify the word 'universal', you are using a weasel word: it has sucked all the meaning out of 'universal'. The two words flatly contradict each other.'
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:29 am
Thanks for an illuminative post. And welcome to A2K
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:36 am
"cost plus Fixed-Fee" This was a type of contract that, issued by Fed agencies, assured that, no matter how stupid and incompetent the contractor, he would always make money because his base rates were initially marked up for overhead, etc. Then on top of thsi was added a profit (fee). So the only thing a contractor lost was the fee.
Its like video perfessor sending you free CDs , and all you have to pay is shipping and handling.

"rightsizing resources"= youre fired.

"spreading democracy"= weve got more guns than you
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:55 am
Excellent posts, syntinen & farmerman!
Long may we remain befuddled & protected from the ghastly truth! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bbae

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:50 pm
weasel words in marketing:

10 TIMES FASTER! (faster then what..?)

NEW AND IMPROVED! (new can mean there is a new cap on it, improved can mean they made a better looking case)

ONLY THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS "AHWDHAKND" (well maybe its because you guys copyrighted that name? thus other companies have the same substance in other another name.)
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:16 pm
Ethnic cleansing - now that sounds quite invigorating. Should I schedule a massage after that?
0 Replies