Weasel words

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:06 pm
Hums

Gosh, what's a "faith based iniative"? Haven't heard that one before. Can you give an example?
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:58 pm
msolga wrote:
Hums

Gosh, what's a "faith based iniative"? Haven't heard that one before. Can you give an example?

==================

msolga: you are now teasing me, are you not?

Laughing
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:01 pm
msolga wrote:
Hums

===================

Be glad, be very glad, that you live in Australia, at least, for the next two years, as to that glad part. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:17 pm
Hums

Oh I AM very happy to live in OZ! Very Happy ...
But I honestly haven't heard that term before ... Really. ...My guess is that it's legislation/action based religious religious grounds. Probably with fundamentalist motivations/intentions. George W? Am I warm? Getting close, maybe?
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:24 pm
O.K., now he's added ANOTHER word to the expression:

"Faith Based and Community Initiative."

Otherwise, Ari Fleischer's preference in Press Conferences is "the President's Faith Based Initiative..." and then he spins further off into space after that.

"Puttin' food on the family" and all, you know.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:27 pm
msolga, it is a compassionate/conservative political correct issue.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:27 pm
I think you're close, msolga. I've been hearing it almost from day one of the current administration and can't really tell you what it is either, but I think you are close.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:34 pm
I found "Resident Alien" not to be particularly warm and welcoming a term we use in U.S. to refer to those with a Green card ( i.e. having permanent residence status)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:37 pm
Might it be doing what is perceived as correct for the "ideal" family? Like in the good old 1950s, when everyone knew what their correct place was, in the home & in the society?
I get mightily confused by the motivations of "compassionate conservatives" .... sounds rather like misguided nostalgia to me. In Oz we a prime minister who espouses "family values" ... I won't go into that right now. Don't want to get depressed by it again today.
What strange times we live in!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:41 pm
Hello, gravy! Nice to meet you here! And hope you enjoy A2K as much as I do. Welcome!

Gosh, "resident Alien" sounds rather like Sci fi, doesn't it?
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:49 pm
I always found the "illegal alien" expression to be particularly strange, too.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:21 pm
Yes.

"illegal alien" would be a term I'd use for a creature that violated a time-space continuum law and ended up in another universe...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:44 pm
As much as the new weasel words & terms, I hate the way conservatives have highjacked formerly progressive language:
"Work place reform" has nothing to do with reform! It's more about dragging us back to re-union times when employers could happily exploit workers to their hearts' content. Who works a 40 hour week anymore?
And "radical" ... Talk about tarnish a term what used to imply idealism/ reform (in the real sense - improvement) & hope!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:51 pm
Whenever a "compassionate conservative" talks "reform", it means go back to the way we were - it scares me to death. It's a "code word" - Trent Lott would have been okay if he had used a "code word".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:58 pm
Excuse my ignorance, Bill W, but I don't know who Trent Lott is. Is a brief explanation possible?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:06 pm
msolga, here is a conservative look at Trent Lott and his recently "misunderstood" slip of tongue. He was the soon to be Majority Leader (Republican/Conservative) of the US Senate, but had to resign in disgrace based upon the facts (not the slant) of this article:

http://www.sierratimes.com/03/01/06/carlson.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:19 pm
Bill W
Ah, I see!
Thank you for that. Interesting!
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:35 pm
msolga wrote:
As much as the new weasel words & terms, I hate the way conservatives have highjacked formerly progressive language:
"Work place reform" has nothing to do with reform! It's more about dragging us back to re-union times when employers could happily exploit workers to their hearts' content. Who works a 40 hour week anymore?
And "radical" ... Talk about tarnish a term what used to imply idealism/ reform (in the real sense - improvement) & hope!

===============

msologa, and all, too:

About this issue of word wars (my definition), although I'm not completely supportive of this site, there IS a good deal of interesting commentary and content on it, worth reading:

(A quote):

We see a bizarre distortion of this desirable conservative reaction in the Militia mentality in America. Militia "conspiracy theories" are actually quite close to the mark: the U.S. government _is_ being sold out to international interests; the U.N. _is_ beginning to establish a sovereignty-threatening military force; the Constitution _is_ being trashed; the establishment in Washington _is_ effectively a bunch of traitors. But it's not the progressives who are bringing this message to these hard-core backwoods conservatives -- instead the message is getting to them with a doublespeak reverse spin that manages to label the sellout of America as a "liberal" conspiracy! Since a Democrat happens to be in the White House, the NWO myth spinners have been able to transform anti-establishment sentiment into anti-liberal sentiment. Instead of addressing the real enemies of the Constitution (the corporate elite), the Militia tilts its lance toward the liberals and progressives who should be instead its natural allies in defending democracy. Divide and Conquer shows up once again as the most potent tool of autocratic control.

Language is a field of battle, the media is the artillery, and vocabulary is the ammunition.

(End Quote)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:47 pm
Hums

"Language is a field of battle, the media is the artillery, and vocabulary is the ammunition. "

That's a great quote!

Thank you for the quote. Very interesting indeed. As I said before, what strange times we live in! Nothing means what it used to. It is very unfortunate that these sorts of *mangled meanings* are being adopted by the general public ... Even those who disagree politically with the intentions of those who did the mangling in the first place!
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 11:00 pm
Yeah, msolga. You're right about what you write about. Cool

My most pet-peeved expression, in the world of today, is "conservative."

'Cause, there's nothing, nothing AT ALL, about today's Republican Party, affiliates, practices and policies. Quite extreme, actually.

To be clear about things, "conservative" in today's politics should indicate a definition for "extremist."

From my experience. Since this is a thread/discussion about "Weasel Words," after all. I can't figure out how and why whoever ever adopted the "conservative" moniker for such extreme politics and practices. Us Liberals are now the new conservative majority, and, certainly the only conservationists going.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies