I, however, am not....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 08:14 am
Here's another one: Axis of evil
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:16 am
"Collateral Damage" : we hit an elementary school instead of the bomb factory.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 11:38 am
I tutor English as a second language. My student from Poland wanted to know what "spin" means, in the political context. I tried and explaining and explaining. Finally, I said, "It's lying for your side." This he understood.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:04 pm
"Working vacation."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:19 pm
Unilateral damage
soft targets

ick
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 05:11 am
Yes, ick!
0 Replies

bree

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:44 pm
My least favorite weasel word is "issues", when used as a substitute for "problems". In my experience, the word is often used by corporate types as a way of denying the existence of problems of their own making. Example: what's meant is, "We've laid off (or "downsized", as someone already mentioned) so many employees, the ones who are left are so overworked they don't have time to do their jobs properly", but what's said is, "We have staffing issues".
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:59 pm
I agree that the use of "issues" is over relied upon. But, guilty, of using it, for purposes of rushing through a message, and then only with people I'm relatively sure understand the shorthand referencial use of the word.

You're right, though, it can appear as insensitive, when, in fact, it's often used to just speed things through.

ANOTHER expression I find particularly puzzling is:

"I ran out of time."

AND/OR,

"I don't have the time."

Everyone's got the same amount of time, and time's all that we do have, at any one point IN TIME.

Someone writes/says either of those two things to me, I know that they're referring to *"issues"*.

Now, that was a joke.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:06 am
Hello, bree! Nice to see you again.Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:08 am
Came acros the term "dirty bomb" yesterday ... How does this differ to an ordinary bomb, or a "smart" bomb?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 07:03 am
When I was working, problems, screwups and various and sundry difficulties were always described as, "challenges". Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:03 pm
One of my favourites, 'negative income' - that's the same as a loss, right?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 06:18 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:31 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
One of my favourites, 'negative income' - that's the same as a loss, right?

============

Yeah, everytime I hear "flat tax," I laugh.

Next most laughable, in this area of contrarily strange expressions, is "Death Tax" (no such thing exists).
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:34 pm
And, Oh, About Strange Expressions:
And, oh, about those strange expressions (the political interests area is a mine field, to be sure, of such), there's the most bogus and odd of all time:

"Faith based initiative."

Preposterous illusion of an idea.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:39 pm
Yep, HTB - could not agree more. Reminds me of that classic piece of spin from history: The Holy Roman Empire. It was none of those things.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:47 pm
Smart bombs are now called precision guided munitions. The old term made it sound like the others were dumb bombs.

Is this sensitive, or what?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:55 pm
msolga asks:

Quote:
Came acros the term "dirty bomb" yesterday ... How does this differ to an ordinary bomb, or a "smart" bomb?

A dirty bomb is bomb that bomb (usually thought of as small, such as brief case,etc) that includes some radioactive matter with it. When the bomb is set off, there isn't a nuclear reaction but, instead, the radioactive substance is pulverized, mixed with dirt and blown into the air. This will case fatalities and other casualities outside the immediate detonation area. It will cause a long and expensive cleanup and create mass hysteria.

One of my favorite weasel words/phrases is "Compassionate Conservative" not to be out done by "Party of Inclusion".
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:58 pm
At Microsoft there are NO bugs! Just "design side effects" or "undocumented features",
0 Replies