THE NEED FOR SPEED . . .

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 04:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
Clump'd up to protect Jane...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 05:09 pm
Setanta and the others who've brought it up have a compelling point, of course. Speed matters when something goes wrong. I don't know how differently I would drive if I had been, say, an ambulance driver.

When BC initiated mandatory seat belt laws, I wasn't bothered because my family always wore seat belts (given vehicles had them and ours always did). But there was a silly "don't take away my liberty!" contingent protesting the law. And I recall at that time an interview on CBC radio with an Australian doctor who owned a clinic specializing in serious spinal injuries. Australia preceded us in this legislation and he was speaking out to try and help convince Canadians to be smart about this. He said there was no way he'd support a change back in his country even though his clinic's business had decreased by 70%.

(ps...there's an example of a moral compass set right)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 07:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I hope I'm never on the same road as you. You are
A) a fuckwit.
B) an arrogant fuckwit.
C) a dangerous fuckwit.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 07:56 pm
@Wilso,
I'm aware that I don't alway agree with Max; indeed I mostly don't.

Your point> tacky.
Wilso

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm aware that I don't alway agree with Max; indeed I mostly don't.

Your point> tacky.

His type can't be reasoned with. He won't wake up until he ends up in a hospital bed, or a prison cell. I hope he doesn't take anyone else down with him, but I can guarantee, he will go down.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:27 pm
@Wilso,
I'll agree that Max chases his points of view, but I that's no negative re me.

Sometimes I verbally yell at him.

Whatever, re him, I listen.

Meantime I see all this as a joke.
blatham

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Meantime I see all this as a joke.

I'll say. Take my wife.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 09:25 pm
@blatham,
But wait!

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 09:43 pm
@ossobuco,
At this point in life, waiting is imprudent.
blatham

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 09:48 pm
@blatham,
"Yes darling, I'll get to it as soon as I can. I know you need a tank replacement for your oxygen tent. You'll just have to wait"

Actually, I had an elderly relative who was in an oxygen tent and some incompetent aide cranked the valve open too far and the oxygen tent went like a balloon and exploded. What a mess! There was oxygen everywhere.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 10:57 pm
I am really curious how many of the people making this argument actually themselves follow the speed limit. I think Setanta already admitted to breaking the speed limit at least some of the time (I say that from memory, I am too lazy right now to go back and find it).

I would love to know if Wilso claims to always follow the speed limit. If he does, then I don't mind his vulgar outburst (I would be a bit upset if I found out he is being hypocritical).

The obvious point is that in reality, on many roads (including all interstates) nearly everyone goes over the speed limit. This was true before the speed limit was reduced to 55mph. This was still true after the speed limit was reduced to 55mph. This is known by traffic engineers.

For all the self-righteous hypocrisy and vulgar outbursts no one has directly disputed the main point I am making.

Having a small number of slower cars on a road where the majority of cars are going a faster rate significantly increases the chance there is an accident (this is solidly supported by research). Getting all the cars going the same speed is more significant in reducing accidents than lowering the average speed.

If you are going the speed limit and every other car is speeding by you, the best way to decrease the chance of an accident is to go with the speed of traffic.

Of course Setanta is correct that slowing everyone else down to speed limit would decrease the chance of an accident even further. But, the speed of every other driver is outside of his control. In this case (we I am sure he actually faces in real life) he has two choices, he can drive the speed limit, or he can go with the flow of traffic.

Given these two choices, going with the flow of traffic is the clear best way for him to reduce the chance of an accident (seeing as he doesn't get to tell every other drive on the road what to do).
Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 12:10 am
How often do I follow the speed limit ? ALWAYS. I've lost a friend to speeding - by another fuckwit like Max of course. I've often got my 2 small children with me. Traffic fines are hideously expensive. I've got my GPS set to buzz at me if I exceed the speed limit. Always.
Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 12:30 am
Watch this you dickhead. And remember their talking kph, not mph.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 12:52 am
@Wilso,
If you get that worked up about every person who drives 5 kph over the speed limit, you must be a very unhappy person indeed.
Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 01:44 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If you get that worked up about every person who drives 5 kph over the speed limit, you must be a very unhappy person indeed.

Nice attempt to turn focus away from your own selfish, arrogant stupidity. Complete failure (something I'm sure you're used to). You're still ignorant fuckwit.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:44 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

Nice attempt to turn focus away from your own selfish, arrogant stupidity. Complete failure (something I'm sure you're used to). You're still ignorant fuckwit.

What a clever and insightful putdown ! Wilso is truly a master of subtlety and the brilliant use of our language.
Wilso

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:30 pm
Wouldn't it be great if real life had an ignore button. Just delete the fuckwits and move on.
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:54 pm
@Wilso,
You should make a tshirt saying that wilso. Very Happy
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:57 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

I've often got my 2 small children with me.

I try to drive like the other cars have babies in them.

I sometimes don't care about the driver, but I don't want to kill a baby or toddler, because I wanted to be there 2 minutes earlier.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 07:29 pm
@chai2,
Gee Chai, You are are really going to jump into bed with the guy who indulges vulgar outbursts. I hope you two are happy together.

It is one thing to accept immature personal attacks against other posters, but heck Chai... you don't have to cheer them.
0 Replies