THE NEED FOR SPEED . . .

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:06 pm
@blatham,
I will buy that it has happened, but as a percentage re male to female rapes, the stats would be page stretching to even compare.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:18 pm
@ossobuco,
He's not disappearing, osso - he just said "he's unemployed" insinuating that he's available. Go for it, osso! Smile
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:20 pm
@blatham,
Besides the fact it is obvious? No one would ever question a female rape victim on whether she was really raped because she showed signs of being physically aroused. Why would you question a male rape victim.

There is plenty of literature on male victims of rape. It is a real problem because people don't take them seriously which makes the victimization so much worse.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/04/male_rape_in_america_a_new_study_reveals_that_men_are_sexually_assaulted.html

Quote:
As she sees it, feminism has fought long and hard to fight rape myths—that if a woman gets raped it’s somehow her fault, that she welcomed it in some way. But the same conversation needs to happen for men. By portraying sexual violence against men as aberrant, we prevent justice and compound the shame. And the conversation about men doesn’t need to shut down the one about women. “Compassion,” she says, “is not a finite resource.”

This is not a feminist vs. anti-feminist issue. Many rape advocacy groups support both male and female victims.

https://www.rainn.org/get-information/types-of-sexual-assault/male-sexual-assault

Rainn wrote:
Male survivors may blame themselves for the assault, believing they were not ‘strong enough’ to fight off the perpetrator. Many are confused by the fact that they became physically aroused during the attack, despite the assault or abuse they endured. However, these normal physiological responses do not in any way imply that the victim ‘wanted’ or ‘liked’ the assault.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
I wish, but oh well. I'm no prize. Don't get me started..

Meantime, I get to like him, which is grand.

So, CJ, how's your life (not to be nosy)..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Rape of men... by men.

Good grief.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:56 pm
@blatham,
Did you look at either of the articles I posted?

Some men are raped by women (according to many source from FBI crime statistics to rape advocacy groups). Some are raped by men. Rape is rape, I don't see why one is more acceptable than the other.

You seem awfully eager to discount the tragedy experienced by rape victims.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:11 pm
@maxdancona,
I may have missed your point about rape to males. I don't want to reread.

I'll agree it happens, certainly males to males, but also, I gather, females to males.
I could make guesses on percentages but that would be from ignorance.

What has this to do with speed and cars?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 10:26 pm
@ossobuco,
It started here

http://able2know.org/topic/250373-9#post-5738104

As I pointed out in my discussion with you earlier, it bothers me when someone mindlessly pushes the "correct" conventional point of view in spite of facts against it. When I see this happen, I instinctively push back.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 09:01 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

That slimy little maneuver just made you invisible for all time.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

That slimy little maneuver just made you invisible for all time.

Oh! I think I think I hit a raw nerve. Obviously Blatham isn't willing to own up to the contradictions in his own prejudice. Sadly, since he has now publicly blocked me, I can't tell him to his face.

BTW this public blocking is a pet peeve of mine. If I were to block someone, I would do it quietly... that is kind of the idea of blocking. Announcing it is in poor taste.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 11:36 am
Apparently, all roads lead to rape in this forum.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 01:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The Inquisition lives !
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 01:42 pm
Tough to formulate any sort of response that might stand in the face of such wit but...

Up until 1980, it was legal in every state in the nation for a husband to rape his wife.

Why might this have been the case? Either of you two brave chaps care to formulate some cultural analysis or explanation for this rather odd fact?
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:47 pm
Anyone have any comments on speed limits or driving habits? You know, just for the hell of it?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 04:05 pm
@blatham,
Of course Blatham can't see this response, but this is just a repeat of the exact comment that started this thread down the path to rape. I pointed out that before 1980, it was also legal for a wife to rape her husband.

Apparently no one wants to talk about speed limits. For the record it was Blatham that started this particular tangent. After his little temper tantrum earlier on this thread, I am surprised that he wants to bring it up again.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 04:40 pm
@Setanta,
Seems like every car has it's own comfort zone for given conditions. I like my car to feel comfortable. Sometimes, late at night, the speed it chooses seems to yo-yo radically. At those times I usually find an intelligent, professional looking tractor trailer rig and maintain about a quarter mile spacing. The only other problem at these times is nicely solved by rumble strips at the shoulder and center of highway. Rumble on the right, steer left. Rumble on the left, steer right.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:41 pm
Driving hypothetical: I'm on a roadway with fresh pavement and the weather conditions are excellent. My vehicle is an efficient though peppy SUV hybrid with sophisticated steering and suspension. It's early summer and all the speed limit signs have been obliterated with spray paint by high school students as a graduation prank and the highways people haven't had time yet to replace the signs. Up ahead, george and finn are standing in the middle of the roadway, peering at a large Saddam-like statue of Ronald Reagan. What's my optimal speed in this situation?
georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:59 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Tough to formulate any sort of response that might stand in the face of such wit but...

Up until 1980, it was legal in every state in the nation for a husband to rape his wife.

Why might this have been the case? Either of you two brave chaps care to formulate some cultural analysis or explanation for this rather odd fact?

I think your statement may be a bit misleading, in that it is very likely that the same situation likely existed in most countries then, even including (gasp!) Canada, and in that, in many or most cases, the supposed "legality" was implicit in the then legal definition of rape (and not an explicit exclusion as you mistakenly infer).

I don't find this odd at all. Perhaps, when you recover your breath, you could provide us a cultural analysis establishing the "oddness" of the earlier prevailing perspective .
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Driving hypothetical: I'm on a roadway with fresh pavement and the weather conditions are excellent. My vehicle is an efficient though peppy SUV hybrid with sophisticated steering and suspension. It's early summer and all the speed limit signs have been obliterated with spray paint by high school students as a graduation prank and the highways people haven't had time yet to replace the signs. Up ahead, george and finn are standing in the middle of the roadway, peering at a large Saddam-like statue of Ronald Reagan. What's my optimal speed in this situation?

Whatever speed you like is OK with me. I'm a very tolerant guy.

Be careful though. What you see are two, very heavy painted, concrete figures ,
blatham

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:06 pm
@georgeob1,
I just couldn't resist. But this is Set's thread so let's take it over to my "hello" thread.
0 Replies