During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 03:04 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
The founding fathers promoted religious tolerance.

First bullshit hypothesis and now downright lies. Unlike you I use a source to back up what I'm saying.

Quote:
But the Puritan fathers of the Massachusetts Bay Colony did not countenance tolerance of opposing religious views. Their “city upon a hill” was a theocracy that brooked no dissent, religious or political. The most famous dissidents within the Puritan community, Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson, were banished following disagreements over theology and policy. From Puritan Boston’s earliest days, Catholics (“Papists”) were anathema and were banned from the colonies, along with other non-Puritans. Four Quakers were hanged in Boston between 1659 and 1661 for persistently returning to the city to stand up for their beliefs.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/americas-true-history-of-religious-tolerance-61312684/?page=2
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 03:50 am
@izzythepush,
During Revolutionary times, the first armed resistance in this-country to British authority, was made by a party of Salem patriots at the North Bridge in this city on Feb. 26, 1775. By raising the draw bridge, they prevented Col. Leslie and his British troops from seizing patriot army stores and ammunition, hidden in North Salem.

St. Peter's (Salem) most famous rector was Alexander Viets Griswold (1766-1843) who was Bishop of the Eastern Diocese (all of New England exept for Connecticut). St. Peter is an Anglican church, and the clergymen there highly respected during the Revolutionary War.

But many people locally believe that the War for Independence actually began here in Salem in the First Church, in the In February of 1775. (The First Church is one of America's oldest churches, from 1629, founded by Puritans).
This churche's Rev. Bentley was an ardent Republican (i.e., Jeffersonian), he translated letters for Jefferson from and to Arabian. (Later, when Jefferson had completed his term and was setting up the University of Virginia, he offered the Presidency of the new school to Rev. Bentley.)

On Jefferson's advice, Rev. Bentley made arrangements for a young Catholic priest to say mass at a local social hall and thereby helped found Salem's first Roman Catholic Church, what is today the Immaculate Conception Parish.

All that and a lot more about the Revolutionary War in Salem and Massachusetts can be seen in Salem's (really worth visiting!) Peabody Essex Museum and within other places of this former centre for privateering (these about 800 ships from Salem destroyed about 600 British ships).
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 04:54 am
@izzythepush,
I know you've seen this before, Izzy, but this is for Ori.

As far as Oristar's "The founding fathers promoted religious tolerance." bs is concerned, here is Greg Proops (an American) giving his view regarding all this....

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 05:10 am
@Lordyaswas,
Sorry that I interrupted this satire and comedy thread with some serious stuff.
I just couldn't hold back ... Embarrassed

http://www.maps-international.com/readonly/products_images/2000000593_th.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 05:37 am

Does anyone know how Scotland
went from being Catholic under the Stuarts
(remaining un-affected by Henry Tudor's rejection of Catholicism)
to becoming Presbyterian ?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 05:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Henry VIII didn't invent Protestantism, in fact he spoke against it, being awarded the title Defender Of The Faith by the pope.

His disagreement with the pope was personal, not theological. The Holy Roman emperor was Catherine of Aragorn's nephew, and his armies were breathing down the neck of Rome. When the emperor said "Jump," the pope replied, "How high?"

Protestantism was established in the UK because many people were won over by its arguments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Reformation

btw Henry Tudor was also the name of Henry VII, and usually refers to him, as he was the first Henry Tudor to become king.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
During Revolutionary times, the first armed resistance in this-country to British authority, was made by a party of Salem patriots at the North Bridge in this city on Feb. 26, 1775. By raising the draw bridge, they prevented Col. Leslie and his British troops from seizing patriot army stores and ammunition, hidden in North Salem.
How about the Boston Tea Party on December 16, 1773 ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Is that called an armed resistance? And are ships of the British East India Company a British authority?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Henry VIII didn't invent Protestantism, in fact he spoke against it,
being awarded the title Defender Of The Faith by the pope.
He was a happy Catholic, until the Pope
interfered with his marriage plans. Henry did not know
that the male determines the gender of his progeny.

izzythepush wrote:
His disagreement with the pope was personal, not theological.
The Holy Roman emperor was Catherine of Aragorn's nephew,
and his armies were breathing down the neck of Rome.
When the emperor said "Jump," the pope replied, "How high?"

Protestantism was established in the UK because many people were won over by its arguments.
The Stuarts in Scotland were not
affected by the Tudors' decisions in England.
Thay remained Catholic; no reason against it, right ?

izzythepush wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Reformation

btw Henry Tudor was also the name of Henry VII,
and usually refers to him, as he was the first Henry Tudor to become king.
It was the family name,
n hence the name of their dynasty.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Is that called an armed resistance?
And are ships of the British East India Company a British authority?
Thay were private ships, so far as I know,
but the applicable tax was statutory from the English Parliament.
Thay violated that law, refusing to pay that tax.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No-one can dispute that.
And therefore
I wrote:
... first armed resistance in this-country to British authority ...

I didn't mean violating a law, refusing to pay to a tax - sorry, if my response sounded like that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Follow the link David, you should find it helps.

Some of the Stuarts remained Catholic. James I was nearly blown up by Catholics, Charles I flirted with Catholics during the Civil war, Charles II converted to Catholicism on his death bed, and James II's steadfast insistence on bringing his son up a Catholic meant he was kicked off the throne and replaced by his daughter Mary and her uber Protestant husband, William of Orange.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
He was a happy Catholic, until the Pope
interfered with his marriage plans.

It could be argued he remained a Catholic. His laws meant he became head of the church in England, not head of the Church Of England.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It could be argued he remained a Catholic. His laws meant he became head of the church in England, not head of the Church Of England.
Besides that, the Church in England (as well as the Church of England) is Catholic:
Quote:
The Church of England is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Source: Church of England
Under Henry VIII the Church of England remained almost fully Catholic with the exception of loyalty to Rome.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Please explain this post Walter, as I haven't a clue.......

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 07:57 am
@Lordyaswas,
... neither have I.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 08:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Sorry that I interrupted this satire and comedy thread with some serious stuff.
I just couldn't hold back ... Embarrassed

http://www.maps-international.com/readonly/products_images/2000000593_th.jpg

OK, let's try to analyze it then, shall we?
The first sentence is seemingly an attempt at sarcasm, and I can only interpret it as a snipe at me for daring to enter what you consider to be a serious thread and post a funny youtube vid.

I will demonstrate just how I ended up here, shall I?

Click 'new posts'

Look at categories on right hand side.

Locate HUMOR

Click HUMOR

This thread appears at the top (at time of post).

I read Izzy's reply to Ori's religious freedom bs.

I am reminded of Greg Proops sketch on similar topic.

I post it.

Do I have to ask your permission in future, Walter?

Oh, and as far as the Union Flag globe pic. I have no idea. Probably something to do with a weird thing in your head re. resenting some sort of fictitional British world domination thing, maybe?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 09:18 am
@Lordyaswas,
Actually, your Milord, I consider this thread from the very beginning to be a parody. So my "excuse" has nothing at all to do with any of your posts directly but actually with all the other responses.
Your post was just the last before mine.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 09:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well you could have said that when I first challenged you.

It would have come across as a bit more believable, at least.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 09:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Your post was just the last before mine.

Lordyaswas is just nervous; you've broken his fragile little heart.
0 Replies