During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 03:04 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
I mean, it looks like "My sore", and if you change the tone, you get "Misery". It's a great name that is inadvertently enclosed within a double entendre.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 04:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
The gun shows r probably a lot more beautiful
than that. (That is not to impugn your right to bare arms.)
Ha! Good one!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 10:33 am

As common sense, the loss of a war often produces a period of collective grief and stupefaction and leads to searching for the reason behind it in a nation. For example, 911 Attacks. The event was not merely terrorist attacks but actually a war and America lost it. So the United States suffered a period of collective grief and stupefaction. When calmed down, brave Americans sought the reason behind and found it: the faith, especially "the cult of death". The call of The End of Faith emerged at the historical moment.

So we could imagine that the Great Britain would have to suffer such period after its failure of the American Revolutionary War. The people there would search the reason behind the failure. His Majesty's Royal Supremacy was naturally under scrutiny. Because as the supreme head of the Church of England - the state religion - Christianity - he ran the war under the "Divine Guidance from God". The fact that the war was lost would have led the people to think that the God had probably abandoned the King. This thinking pattern of the people is exactly Reason. Reason is bittersweet, because you have to go through the hardship of reasoning and hardworking and after the ordeal the result is usually more reliable than other way around.

When you spend your resources (time and energy included but not limited to) to seek your Reason God, you would have less time paying attention to your Religious God. The rate of attendance of church would drop.

But what business of this has to do with Thomas Jefferson?
(The night is deep here. I will continue tomorrow if anything is okay)
George

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 11:24 am
@oristarA,
> The night is deep here.
That's not the only thing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 12:55 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
As common sense, the loss of a war often produces a period of collective grief
and stupefaction and leads to searching for the reason behind it in a nation. For example, 911 Attacks.
The event was not merely terrorist attacks but actually a war and America lost it.
That was, at most, one battle on 9/11,
not a war. That came later. We overthrew the Taliban
and later we killed Laden. We did not lose that war.

oristarA wrote:
So the United States suffered a period of collective grief and stupefaction.
I remember being a bit surprized.
Aircraft r not ofen used that way.

oristarA wrote:
When calmed down, brave Americans sought
the reason behind and found it: the faith, especially "the cult of death".
I don t remember that happening,
unless u mean that we knew that the Moslems had attacked us.

oristarA wrote:
The call of The End of Faith emerged at the historical moment.
????

oristarA wrote:
So we could imagine that the Great Britain would have to suffer such period
after its failure of the American Revolutionary War.
The people there would search the reason behind the failure.
Really???? Did thay CARE??
What do u think, Izzy??

oristarA wrote:
His Majesty's Royal Supremacy was naturally under scrutiny.
Because as the supreme head of the Church of England - the state
religion - Christianity - he ran the war under the "Divine Guidance from God".
Did the King SAY that??
It was not a religious war.

oristarA wrote:
The fact that the war was lost would have led the people to think
that the God had probably abandoned the King.
I doubt that there is much evidence of that.

oristarA wrote:
This thinking pattern of the people is exactly Reason.
Reason is bittersweet, because you have to go through the hardship
of reasoning and hardworking and after the ordeal the result is
usually more reliable than other way around.
Reasoning is a "hardship"??

oristarA wrote:
When you spend your resources (time and energy included but not limited to)
to seek your Reason God, you would have less time paying attention
to your Religious God. The rate of attendance of church would drop.

But what business of this has to do with Thomas Jefferson?
(The night is deep here. I will continue tomorrow if anything is okay)
George

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 01:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Good points.
I await the responses.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 03:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oristarA wrote:
So we could imagine that the Great Britain would have to suffer such period
after its failure of the American Revolutionary War.
The people there would search the reason behind the failure.
Really???? Did thay CARE??
What do u think, Izzy??

It's bloody nonsense, that's what I think, schoolboy theorising based on a limited understanding of human nature coupled with total ignorance of historical events. No facts, nothing whatsoever to support such idiosyncratic theorising.

It's all assumptions, it assumes that the people of Britain believed that the king ran the country under "Divine Guidance From God." That's nonsense, we'd already cut one king's head off, and kicked another one off the throne for getting too big for his boots.

It also assumes some sort of religious fervour in troops; people join the army for all sorts of reasons, not least money. They might even have been pressganged. What about the Scottish troops who fought at Quebec, whose fathers fought at Culloden? What's their take on God's plan?

All Oristar has is a theory, which he keeps banging on ad nauseam. He has nothing whatsoever to back this theory up, no facts, no evidence, nothing. Just appeals to common sense, which is ironic, because common sense dictates that if something occurred, there should be some bloody evidence of it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
In candor, I will confess that I have never turned my attention
to the question of whether the English populace was zealously
in support of the King 's efforts to keep his real estate in North America, or not.

Do u have an opinion on that issue ?
Do u think that the English or Scotch citizenry CARED
whether the King succeeded in defeating our Revolution ?

David
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 04:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Thomas Paine was selling his books over here, the French revolution had its supporters. People were far more concerned about the prospects of a French invasion more than anything else. I don't think the loss of the American colonies impacted that much on the life of the ordinary man.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 05:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank u. I vaguely suspected their relative indifference.

David
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:
As common sense, the loss of a war often produces a period of collective grief
and stupefaction and leads to searching for the reason behind it in a nation. For example, 911 Attacks.
The event was not merely terrorist attacks but actually a war and America lost it.
That was, at most, one battle on 9/11,
not a war. That came later. We overthrew the Taliban
and later we killed Laden. We did not lose that war.

You have your opinion, of course Dave.

But I have to be candid: the view that the 911 Attacks is a war against the United States is not my invention. I just borrowed it from George W. Bush, who said something like "it is no more a terrorist activity; it is a war" when commenting on the event immediately after it happened. I had to admit that he's sharp-eyed.

America was defeated at the very beginning (3000 lives were lost) and only won its anti-terrorism war that it launched after the event.

(To be continued)
oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:
So the United States suffered a period of collective grief and stupefaction.
I remember being a bit surprized.
Aircraft r not ofen used that way.

oristarA wrote:
When calmed down, brave Americans sought
the reason behind and found it: the faith, especially "the cult of death".
I don t remember that happening,
unless u mean that we knew that the Moslems had attacked us.

oristarA wrote:
The call of The End of Faith emerged at the historical moment.
????

It sounds you're rather self reclusive, Dave.

The End of Faith, published in 2004, had been on The New York Times Best Seller list for 33 weeks. It explains almost everything that you're puzzled here.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 11:15 pm
@oristarA,
I did not read that book.

David
oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:
This thinking pattern of the people is exactly Reason.
Reason is bittersweet, because you have to go through the hardship
of reasoning and hardworking and after the ordeal the result is
usually more reliable than other way around.
Reasoning is a "hardship"??

The reasoning here refers to critically scientific reasoning and it requires hardworking. So it has to go through hardship. Any reason you've found, no matter how reasonable it looks, you have to check it out with evidence and find the people who hold the same idea. If you find no one supports you, you have to work alone to extract essences of evidence from raw materials or design experiments to get the results you want. Isnt it a hardship? Or people will have sufficient reasons to reject your theory downright.

Leaving enough room for doubt is a prime requisite for sound scientific thinking.

Read the idea of Hawking and get the essence of his idea:

Quote:
Any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis: you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory. As philosopher of science Karl Popper has emphasized, a good theory is characterized by the fact that it makes a number of predictions that could in principle be disproved or falsified by observation. Each time new experiments are observed to agree with the predictions the theory survives, and our confidence in it is increased; but if ever a new observation is found to disagree, we have to abandon or modify the theory.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

I did not read that book.

David

That is why you're backward, Dave.
George

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 05:41 am
@oristarA,
oristarA answers none of OmSigDAVID's questions.

He misunderstands the meaning of the word "war".

He misunderstands the meaning of the word "hardship".

He quotes an interesting but irrelevant saying of Hawking.

Unprovoked, he insults OmSigDavid.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 05:48 am
@George,
That's what he's been doing throughout this thread.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 05:55 am
@George,
George wrote:
Unproked, he insults OmSigDavid.
These constant insults out of the blue are really annoying by this childish (perhaps spoiled) person.
oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 06:05 am
@George,
Bush was right.
With your insane ignorance to science, you, a true dotard. George.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 06:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Stop trolling, WH.
Professor Ezra F. Vogel in his book Deng Xiaoping quotes a word from Deng "China is a backward country". He's not insulting his motherland, just criticizing. I borrowed the word from there.
But if Dave was offended by this. I apologize. I didn't mean to insult him.
He has promised to offer his grammatical advices. It is obviously a rhetorical mistake.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2014 06:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The hospitality and friendliness shown by many here to Oristar over the years is being repaid by this very odd, insulting behaviour.

Maybe we have been helping to educate a foreign troll to write joined up English, and are now starting to be trolled by him/her/it.

I think that the ignore button is the only option, as our new troll doesn't seem to be able to hold a logical conversation or debate without going quite weird and nasty when challenged or disagreed with.

What a shame. Up until recently, I regarded Ori as a positive, eager learner who was polite, cheerful and funny. Now it is just strange, in a not very nice way.

Do not feed the troll.

I'm pressing ignore after this post.