Bacon is the "meat of life." Without bacon, life on earth as we know it could not exist?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
Now there was a great post. I just learned a lot! Thanks, Lordywas.

Edit - I learned a lot from other recent posts too..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:38 am
I wonder if you can get peameal bacon in New Brunswick. Hmmmm . . . i had always thought it was an Ontari-ari-ario thing. Off to look around.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:54 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
When I was in Vancouver, I must admit to liking the bacon (streaky) served at breakfast, but then again, there's no really bad bacon, as such.

I certainly agree with that final sentiment. It sounds to me, though, that what you were given was what might be called American-style bacon. For esample, in restaurants in Ontario, they would offer bacon or peameal (bacon). In other parts of the country, they would call it back bacon. (American bacon is made from sow bellies, in Canada, tha back is made from the pork backs.)
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 03:20 pm
@chai2,
Thanks Chai

It's funny this thread came up as I cooked one of those only a week ago, my favourite summer breakfast is Prosciutto wrapped around rockmelon.. I mean it's fruit right, plus bacon (sort off) ...

neologist

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 07:10 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
I've got an impression that you Occidentals' favorite meats are beef and chicken.
That's accidental. If you can't afford bacon, get bacon flavoring.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 07:45 pm
Incidentally our Jewish friends don't eat bacon and pork and I wonder if that's why there's a higher incidence of Crohn's Disease (inflammation of the gut) among the Jewish population.
CROHNS- http://www.mazornet.com/genetics/crohnsdisease.htm

Incidentally, Linda McCartney, Davy Jones, Maurice Gibb, Robin Gibb and Donna Summer were all veggies who died young. (The Gibbs both developed colorectal cancer) and now Angelina Jolie has ditched her vegan diet because she's fed up of being ill.

Furthermore a vet wrote in the paper that veggies sometimes bring in their pet dogs and cats with dull coats and listlessness, and it turns out they've been feeding their pets a non-meat diet (pet shops sell it specially), how cruel is that?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:58 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not sure you can get peameal in the Maritimes. I'll have to ask around aboooot that.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 09:02 pm
@ehBeth,
a thread from 2007/2009 about ... peameal bacon

http://able2know.org/topic/107730-1

there were others / will search another day
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I'm quite relieved there are some willing to help by relieving the demand. Otherwise, prices would go through the roof, what with pig mortality as it has been lately
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:38 am
@farmerman,
"Its an American continental thing. I think Canada and US appreciate the subtle flavors present in good smokes or sugar cured bacon. SALT is not overpowering as it is in Brit/Irish bacon......."

I side with you on the salt thing, fm.

In the mid 70's, when I was working with this stuff, British bacon didn't make up more than 10% of the market. We Brits ate Danish. The Danes produced (and still produce) tons of the stuff.
It was high end quality bacon, with subtle curing, traditional smoking and none of that water injection going on to make up the weight.

When carrying a 'side' from lorry (truck) to chiller, it didn't flop like a British or Irish side would have done, but almost stuck straight out, nearly as stiff as a board.

This is how bacon and ham used to be in Britain for hundreds of years. Pick up a traditional York ham (or Parma Ham if you're Osso and like a bit of Italian) and you'll notice that the outside is as hard as a bullet. All that curing and rubbing in of preservative (salt peter is or was used, I believe, among other rustic niceties) stops any unwanted microbes from entering into the body of the meat.
And so it was (still is, I hope) with Danish bacon. The rind (on smoked sides) was quite hard, and used to blunten (is that still a word?).....let's say dull.....the slicer blades in no time, but when that rasher fell off into the hand, the meat was perfect.
The green (unsmoked) sides were not so dry, as they hadn't been hung in a smoking shed, but again, there was not an overload of moisture inside.

If you're looking for the best bacon in Britain, you either get hold of 'artisan' bacon (farm shops, Harrods, top end delis etc) or go for smoked Danish.
The standard British/Irish/Euro mass produced fodder is bulked out with injected brine (makes it heavier) to within an inch of being illegal under our food laws, and the nearest thing it has seen that resembles a smoking shed is a 16 year old acne carrier with a flavour/spray tan gun.

I think farmerman had some good old Euro bacon when he went to Dublin, as this crap is reserved for tourists, supermarket shoppers on a budget, truckers who will eat anything and that portion of the population who walk round a shop and never ever care about what they are putting in their basket.

Smoked bacon always wins the day with me, but the sweeter cures are interesting, although rarely found here.
I will (or hope to) be touring Canadia within the next few years, and will no doubt taste every variety known to the locals whilst there. I'll maybe write a report here one day.

Hmmmmm..... possible thread title......

Rocky Bacon High?

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:58 am
@FOUND SOUL,
This thread SUCKS.

Lamb chops, check, good greens, check, ADDS BACON ahhhhhhh

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 04:27 am
@FOUND SOUL,
........thread titles.....hmmmm.....

Man-eato-ba ......aycon?

Saskat-chewan a piece of bacon......?

Warning : This could get a lot worse. If, like fm, you hate puns, please read in the opposite direction.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:09 am
@ehBeth,
aw ****. Im gonna tackle some meat dept guy at whole foods maybe they can get it for us.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:13 am
@Lordyaswas,
we were having a wonderful discussion about bacon nd its many sides . Then you start with the puns, always the puns.
Try to avoid the puns.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:51 am
@farmerman,
You can, however, probably get some version of back bacon there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:53 am
I tried to get some info on back bacon in New Brunswick, and came up with nothing much. But one St. John's company was touting it's "maple smoked" bacon.
Gravis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:16 am
@oristarA,
Yes, offcourse.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:16 am
@Setanta,
I've had apple smoked and it was excellent. I'll look out for Maple.

Hungry again now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
I will (or hope to) be touring Canadia within the next few years, and will no doubt taste every variety known to the locals whilst there. I'll maybe write a report here one day.

Hmmmmm..... possible thread title......

Rocky Bacon High?

there are some fine fine smokers out here in Canadia

I do still look for German double-smoked bacon for a treat, but I've noticed some of the local/regional double-smoked bacons are really good now.

There's even a fellow in town, Zane Caplansky, who makes a really nice smoked beef bacon. He also does a nice smoked brisket gravy that is dangerously good with knishes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:06 am
@Setanta,
maybe we will come up as high as Chatham NB (then go over to Quebec) Do the Quebeckers eat bacons? e have a company (Kunzlers) that makes a Maple Smoked bacon. Its almost a "dessert". Too sweet for my tastes. Sometimes they go too far.

My favorite at this time is RAPA hickory smoke bacon. It is a elight on BLT's and on shrimp and as a top for my "Oysters Vladzu"
0 Replies