Bacon is the "meat of life." Without bacon, life on earth as we know it could not exist?

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 12:45 am
Do you believe this? It sounds ridiculous to me.

Context:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IihOz8PDu4Q/TYyzF-fzGXI/AAAAAAAAB1I/20a7RYcjtu0/s1600/periodic-meats-full.jpg

Or click if you failed to see the image:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-IihOz8PDu4Q/TYyzF-fzGXI/AAAAAAAAB1I/20a7RYcjtu0/s1600/periodic-meats-full.jpg

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Lordyaswas
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 12:52 am
@oristarA,
This is a spoof, Oristar.

It could almost have been drawn up by Homer Simpson, and is probably how most men view food.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 12:54 am
@oristarA,
It is definitely a joke or satire. Please don't think there is anything scientific about this joke.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:19 am
Thank you both.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 09:55 am
Bacon is the sublimest food known to man. Wimmins don't count.
oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 11:10 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Bacon is the sublimest food known to man. Wimmins don't count.

I wonder what is bacon in western culture. The dictionary says:
back and sides of a hog salted and dried or smoked; usually sliced thin and fried.
Salted! In China bacon is heavily salted, that is why I doubt its worth.
chai2

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 11:58 am
@oristarA,
This is a picture of bacon. I like mine crispy like this. Other people like it a little bet less cooked. We eat out bacon thinly sliced.

http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com/gen/resize/321/321/80/2010/11/14/22/4s/0g/pooa5kyfsw.jpg
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 12:22 pm
@chai2,
we don't need to salt it nar as much as they used to. Newer cues like maple sugar and molasses and mostly nitrites help alt cure the "pork bellies" Smoking is also a key.

Bacon is either THE or one of the largest sources of our daily allotment of nitrosamines that we can name.We all die sooner or later, bacon's as good a way as any.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 01:21 pm
Bacon sandwich with HP Brown Sauce.

Food orgasm.

http://liannedmurphy.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/hpbrownsauce.jpg
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 01:22 pm
Death by facon . . . YES ! ! !
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:08 pm
Well, if you Occidentals treat bacon as the meat of life, hog meat (pork) is vital in your daily food. What about beef and chicken? I've got an impression that you Occidentals' favorite meats are beef and chicken.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:38 pm
@oristarA,
Pork is very popular here in the U.S. I don't know the statistics to say that it wins over beef or chicken. I'm somewhat confident it wins over venison.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:53 pm
@oristarA,
I don't believe that a larger volume/weight amount of bacon is consumed annually (pr capita) in the US. Its a , more or less,a specialty meat that is used more as a "flavoring or texture enhancement".I think that Chinese would understand such a use.

Even where bacon is served as an accompanying meat, its not served up in the same quantity as is a typical serving of beef or chicken. In a Western style breakfast of bacon and eggs, I would imagine that the amount of bacon served would be only 4 or 5 strips that have been fried and have lost most of their weight so a serving woud be but 4 or 5 ounces . Many people can polish off half a pound or more of chicken or beef in a meal. In my younger days, I would often consume a beef steak of a pound or more. (I eat steak veryinfrequently now).
I like bacon as a flavor enhancer for salads, or soups, or in a beautiful sandwich composed of 4 strips of fried bacon, fresh tomato, a lettuce leaf served between two pieces of 7 grain toast bread slathered liberally with a really good mayonnaise and freshly ground pepper. We call that a BLT .

I could eat a BLT at least once every 2 weeks.

I think I speak for many hen I say that BACON IMPROVES THE FLAVOR OF ALMOST ANYTHING

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:03 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Well, if you Occidentals treat bacon as the meat of life, hog meat (pork) is vital in your daily food. What about beef and chicken? I've got an impression that you Occidentals' favorite meats are beef and chicken.

Again oristaA, this whole "bacon is the meat of life" thing was meant as a joke.

Yeah, bacon tastes good, but few people overall eat it every day. I personally haven't eaten bacon in weeks, maybe a month. It's more like an occassional treat. It's not eaten by itself usually, but as a side with other items. Usually people will eat 2 or 3 strips of bacon, which might be about an ounce of meat.

Popular meals that include bacon would be bacon and eggs (usually a breakfast meal) or a sandwich called a BLT, which stands for bacon, lettuce and tomato.

You'll find such a variety of diets in America it's really hard to pinpoint any particular food as being popular all over.

For instance, I don't know anyone who eats hot dogs often. In fact, hot dogs are really pretty nasty, in my opinion.

As far as meat, the most popular choices are beef, chicken and pork. Some people eat a lot of meat, some eat a moderate amount, some not much at all or none.

It's usually easy for Americans to get fruit, vegetables and various foods from all over the world. In any given week, I may eat meals centered around foods that come from 4 or 5 different countries.

For instance, in the past week I've eaten sushi (japan), quineoa (originated in the Andes), marmite (Great Britain), jerk chicken (Jamaica) pomegranets, figs, dates....none of which are native to America. I've also eaten foods that popularized in many different areas of the U.S.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:05 pm
@Lordyaswas,
that is NOT bacon

it appears to be meat of some sort but

that is NOT bacon

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:05 pm
@farmerman,
Ha! Farmer....

I was typing all while you already posted. We were aiming in the same direction.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:07 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
a beautiful sandwich composed of 4 strips of fried bacon, fresh tomato, a lettuce leaf served between two pieces of 7 grain toast bread slathered liberally with a really good mayonnaise and freshly ground pepper. We call that a BLT .

I could eat a BLT at least once every 2 weeks.

I think I speak for many hen I say that BACON IMPROVES THE FLAVOR OF ALMOST ANYTHING

I had a BLT for breakfast today. It made the day so much better than it would have been otherwise.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

that is NOT bacon

it appears to be meat of some sort but

that is NOT bacon

Agreed.

I looked up "chinese bacon" and came up with images such as the following...

Definately much thicker cut than what we serve here. Much thicker even than our "thick sliced" bacon, which I don't care for.

http://soyricefire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Chinese-bacon.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:18 pm
http://www.ufcw.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3924:world-meat-production-and-consumption&catid=515&Itemid=6&lang=en

Quote:

32.3 kilograms
Average annual pork consumption per person in the European Union. Residents of the EU consume more pork than anyone else in the world.

16.7 kilograms
Average annual pork consumption per person in Canada.

Although pork and chicken consumption rates are high in many other countries, particularly in Asia, meat consumption rates in Western countries such as Canada continue to be significantly greater.

Americans apparently eat a lot lot lot of chicken

Quote:
50.1 kilograms
Average annual chicken consumption in the United States per person.

_____

the only thing better than a BLT is a club sandwich

mmmmmmmmmm

chicken/bacon/lettuce/tomato/mayo

best on squishy white bread in a golf club clubhouse

really
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 01:56 am
@oristarA,
God bless bacon.

Science bless bacon.

Here in Monterey we like to stuff jalapeño peppers with cream cheese (Philadelphia) then wrap the jalapeño with one to two layers of bacon. Then grill it and serve as a side for the grilled steaks.

Also we have a local variety of german wurst. It is algo stuffed with cheese (oaxaca cheese) and thrn wrapped in bacon and grilled. It is also only a side.

BTW in Spanish it is called "tocino".

To (like in TOp)
Ci (like in SIng)
No (like in NOwhere)