BRINGING HOME THE BACK BACON

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 07:12 pm
For supper tonight, a peameal bacon roast. Now i've already used a recipe that the Sweetiepie Girl found online, simple so that even i can burn the bacon without worrying. But i thought that the Canajuns here might post their favorite recipes for a back bacon or peameal bacon roast--whatever they call it where you are.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 13,497 • Replies: 26
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:04 pm
I'm not sure a lot of Canajuns even realize you can buy a peameal roast.

In any case, this turned out wonderfully - prepared in a honey-mustard crust.

The fella's a pretty fine cook!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:09 pm
I confess I've bought this and sliced it to fry; it never occurred to me to roast it. So...you smeared it with honey mustard and roasted it how long? what temperature? Enquiring minds want to know. (It sounds good -- and a lot easier than slicing by hand.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:16 pm
Setanta tells me he whisked together honey and mustard (the yellow one? there are probably 10 mustards in the fridge and he tells me 'the yellow one'), and spread that on the roast. He put a half cup of warm water in the pan before he put in the roast.

An hour covered at 350 F, half an hour uncovered - roughly 2.5 pound roast.

It formed a beautiful crust and tastes incredible.

I like it since it's such a lean form of pork.

(It was one of the weekend specials at the Loblaws group of companies last weekend, so I grabbed two of the roasts)

It's also very good done on the bbq. Either as a roast under the lid, or in thick slices, grilled.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:37 pm
Yeah it's often a good buy -- and I like that it's lean. Thanks!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:43 pm
OK, I'm in Kansas, eh. We don't know from back bacon. How does this compare to a pork roast?

It sounds scrumptious, and is similar to the pork roast recipes I have, but I doubt that ours is "backbacon".

Willing to wear a toog while I cook, but what would 'murcins call the cut????

RH
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:01 pm
I've never seen peameal in the U.S.

It's definitely not the product that Muricans call Canadian bacon (which we don't have here). Similar, but the prep is somehow different - and the end result is NOT the same.

The porkpeople say

Quote:

Peameal bacon is an Ontario specific speciality, and is only sporadically available elsewhere. A search of the internet should give you information on any local suppliers (if they exist). Peameal bacon is made from the centre-cut or rib end of the loin. It is cured in a brine containing salt and sugar, and then rolled in corn meal. It is an uncooked product, that can be sliced and grilled, or roasted whole. Canadian bacon (or 'Smoked Back Bacon' is a fully cooked and smoked product form the same cuts as peameal bacon.

this is Toronto's most famous peameal bacon on a bun from the Carousel Bakery at the St. Lawrence Market

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2007/07/20070720_carousel.jpg

When Blaise Daley came to Toronto, he had the mondo-pigout-version with egg and cheese on it as well.

Setanta's roasted peameal looked much like this pic from the food network

http://www.foodtv.ca/DMM/M/A/Maple_Peameal_Roast_003.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:07 pm
OK we definitely don't have it here. I will see if I can get it in Chicago, if not, sooner or later, Canada is on the visit list....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:12 pm
Make it to Toronto and I'll treat to you a peameal sandwich at the Carousel Bakery Very Happy
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:31 pm
Always up for a good meal. Likewise should you visit Mid America....a Very Happy great bar-b-q to ya...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:28 pm
I've never heard it called peameal bacon but I knew that 'real' Canadian bacon was different than what we call Canadian bacon. I found a transplanted Canadian in Michigan that produces it himself and sells it online.

Order on the Internet from www.realcanadianbacon.com for $7 to $9 a pound, depending on the order.

To order by phone: 866-BACON-01 (866-222-6601).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20020828/ai_n12469586
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
JPB, i believe it is only called peameal bacon in Ontario, where it comes coated in yellow pea meal (actually, that once was true, now they just use corn meal). It is called back bacon all over Canadia, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 03:48 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:
Peameal bacon is an Ontario specific speciality, and is only sporadically available elsewhere.

A search of the internet should give you information on any local suppliers (if they exist).

Peameal bacon is made from the centre-cut or rib end of the loin. It is cured in a brine containing salt and sugar, and then rolled in corn meal.

It is an uncooked product, that can be sliced and grilled, or roasted whole.

Canadian bacon (or 'Smoked Back Bacon' is a fully cooked and smoked product from the same cuts as peameal bacon.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 04:50 pm
http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/images/whole_roast.jpg

Is this the right thing? This is the picture from the website. The article said that he moved to MI from Ontario and was disappointed at not being able to get it locally so he started producing it himself in Troy, MI.

Quote:
Welcome to the finest gourmet meat available from Canada, Canadian Peameal. Real Canadian bacon, known as "peameal bacon" in Canada, is unknown to most Americans. Those Americans that relish the product plan trips to Canada to stock their homes with this healthy alternative to traditional American breakfast and dinner entrées.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 04:56 pm
That's the stuff. Note the coating on the roast. Apparently, in the old days, they ground up dried yellow peas to make a meal in which it was coated after being "cured" (pickled in brine). Now they use yellow corn meal, which i suspect is much, much cheaper. Tastes great all the same.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 04:59 pm
I see you've become (perhaps always were) an ace chef, Setanta. I'm very impressed!
Next we'll be hearing that you're opening a restaurant!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:04 pm
When pigs fly.

Hmmm . . . it would be hard to get the back bacon in such a circumstance . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Just once a month then, for special customers? :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:11 pm
If i could treat you to a fresh back bacon roast, i'd do it in a heartbeat Miss Olga . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
If i could treat you to a fresh back bacon roast, i'd do it in a heartbeat Miss Olga . . .

Oh, oh!

If only!

(Be still, my gastric juices! Settle right down! :wink: )
0 Replies