33
   

Does mob mentality rule A2K?

 
 
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 03:47 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_think

It seems that group think holds enough sway on A2K to impede rational discussion if that discussion does not conform to the preconceived notions of the A2K community as a whole.

Are the majority of A2K members close minded?

Is there any logical reason to whitewash members who express unpopular, yet well reasoned ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 33 • Views: 19,504 • Replies: 470
Topic Closed

 
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:50 am
Here is a theme song for your thread
djjd62
 
  4  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:57 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
It seems that group think holds enough sway on A2K to impede rational discussion if that discussion does not conform to the preconceived notions of the A2K community as a whole.

Are the majority of A2K members close minded?


first, it's never good to have preconceived notions, could you imagine a stroller full of preconceived children, a pile of bloody tampons and sperm crusted tissues

and second, most people are closed minded, or at least set in their ways, politics is the most obvious example of this

0 Replies
 
Romeo Fabulini
 
  4  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:00 am
A2K is one of the best forums in internet-land because it's an almost totally Free Speech forum.
That means anybody can wander in off the street and start talking shite to his or her heart's content, and we just have to put up with it..Smile
By contrast, there are many forums out there that are NOT free speech forums, because their control-freak moderators are always bullying and banning people like the third reich!
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:02 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_think

It seems that group think holds enough sway on A2K to impede rational discussion if that discussion does not conform to the preconceived notions of the A2K community as a whole.

Are the majority of A2K members close minded?
Yes. For the most part,
thay r devoted to authoritarianism and to collectivism.



nononono wrote:
Is there any logical reason to whitewash members
who express unpopular, yet well reasoned ideas?
I 've not seen any whitewashing,
but Hawkeye almost got lynched a few years ago;
something about rape.
0 Replies
 
djjd62
 
  8  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:05 am
"Naval-Gazing"?

i mean sure i mentioned semen, but leave our men and women in uniform out of this

ah well, worse things happen at sea i suppose
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:07 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
A2K is one of the best forums . . .
Shud that be fora ??
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  3  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:09 am
@djjd62,
0 Replies
 
Romeo Fabulini
 
  1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:21 am
Edgar used to be a sailor in the US Navy..Wink...Wink...Wink
0 Replies
 
nononono
 
  -1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:23 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
"Naval-Gazing"?

i mean sure i mentioned semen, but leave our men and women in uniform out of this

ah well, worse things happen at sea i suppose


Haha, yep don't understand the "naval gazing" tag myself...
djjd62
 
  4  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:27 am
@nononono,
spelled correctly it would be absolutely appropriate

Omphaloskepsis is contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation

However, phrases such as "contemplating one's navel" or "navel-gazing" are frequently used, usually in jocular fashion, to refer to self-absorbed pursuits.
nononono
 
  -1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:32 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
However, phrases such as "contemplating one's navel" or "navel-gazing" are frequently used, usually in jocular fashion, to refer to self-absorbed pursuits.


No, I understand the use of the term, I just don't understand how wondering if mob mentality rules A2K is "Self absorption".

nononono
 
  0  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 06:59 am
@nononono,
Ah, this thread has been tagged "whinger" too.

Such great spellers out there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlN3oEjMpUQ
hingehead
 
  4  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 07:10 am
@nononono,
Ah, 'whinger' is actually the correct spelling of the australian term for someone who complains about everything, usually baselessly. How close-minded of you not to know that Wink
nononono
 
  0  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 07:12 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
How close-minded of you not to know that Wink


Right? It's almost like I'm not ******* australian or something...
Lordyaswas
 
  2  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:09 am
@nononono,
British/English spells it that way as well.

How do you spell whinger, out of interest?
InfraBlue
 
  1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Whoa, are you a Lynch Mob fan?
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:07 am
@InfraBlue,
First time I heard of them was this morning. But, I listened to a couple before I navigated away.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  2  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
British/English spells it that way as well.

How do you spell whinger, out of interest?
Is a whinger someone who whinges ???
Lordyaswas
 
  2  
Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes.
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Adding Tags to Threads - Discussion by Brandon9000
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Merry Andrew - Discussion by edgarblythe
Spot the April Fools gag yet? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Great New Look to A2K- Applause, Robert! - Discussion by Phoenix32890
Head count - Discussion by CalamityJane
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
The great migration - Discussion by shewolfnm
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Does mob mentality rule A2K?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/29/2021 at 06:48:22