The return of Jesus would be the end of Christianity.

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 01:55 pm
@worldtraveler24,
The Hebrew word sheol is simply the common grave of mankind where as Solomon noted in Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going."
Also note:
Quote:
3 Do not put your trust in princes
Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.
4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground;
On that very day his thoughts perish.(psalm 146: 3-4)
More citations available if needed.
worldtraveler24

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
@neologist,
Why then did Jesus say that there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth in this outer darkness?
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 06:16 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 wrote:
Why then did Jesus say that there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth in this outer darkness?
Show me the citation
fresco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 01:08 am
@neologist,
Luke 13:28
( Wink Just Googling !)
neologist

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 12:39 pm
@fresco,
I was asking WT to provide the citation to show its relevance, or lack thereof, to the innumerable references regarding the mortality of the soul
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 11:34 pm
Quote:
The return of Jesus would be the end of Christianity.
No, a paradigm shift
insofar as inconsistent Christian religions are concerned.

David
0 Replies

worldtraveler24

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:44 am
@neologist,
Matthew 8:12

but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 13:42
...and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 22:13
"Then the king said to the servants, `Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Matthew 24:51

and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

Luke 13:28
"In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.

Psalm 112:10
The wicked will see it and be vexed, He will gnash his teeth and melt away; The desire of the wicked will perish.

mark noble

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 05:19 pm
@worldtraveler24,
You might as well be supporting the wisdom behind 'the health benefits of playing Quiditch, maybe 'Quidditch' (who cares?) BY using Harry Potter novels as your evidence for actuality.

ARE YOU THAT NAIVE?
worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 08:29 am
@mark noble,
In your opinion no doubt@!

Let me ask you my friend, what has your blood boiling so much? You sound as though you just want to fight the world head-on.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:21 am
@mark noble,
WTF are you wasting your time addressing this crackpot ? Do you often talk to your dog about existence ? As much as we would love to say we are all alike we aren't...some people are definitely beyond hope. Let them express to their heart contents, their are living beings and deserve that much respect, but just don't waste any time with them for having a meaningful conversation. When I want Lord of the rings I go to the cinema or better I read the book.
worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:32 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
thanks! no doubt you hit the nail right on the head!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:45 am
@worldtraveler24,
What head ?
worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 01:14 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
just a way of saying you are correct!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 02:35 pm
Quote:
Thread title: The return of Jesus would be the end of Christianity.

Why?
'Christianity' simply means being a pal of Jesus like he said-
"You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends" (John 15:15)
So when he fulfils his promise- "I'll be back" (Mark 13:26), Christians will STILL be his pals, nothing will change there..Smile

PS- Anyway when he does come back he doesn't plan on staying, it'll simply be a flying visit to collect all his pals from all over the devastated world and whisk them off to somewhere better. Beats me why atheists and nonchristians don't want to come?

Jesus said: "..the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.
At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.
And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens" (from Mark ch 13)
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:05 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Why?
'Christianity' simply means being a pal of Jesus

No. Christianity means a whole lot of organized institutions, some quite wealthy and powerful. Didn't Jesus say we don't need temples and priests, that no middlemen were needed between god and any individual?

You don't have to be a Christian to appreciate the story of Jesus. Further, it could be argued that to truly embrace Jesus' philosophy (as it was allegedly told by him) one would have to turn away from Christianity.

The same is true of Buddhism. At some point in the individual's progress, all the rules and doctrines might have to be willfully ignored, because they exclude experiences that are needed in order to progress further towards the goals of more, deeper, and longer lasting happiness and peace of mind.
worldtraveler24

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 08:29 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz,

You may not be too far from the truth.

Jesus said that if any man come after Him he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow Jesus. This is not a popular ideology. It is more than just verbalizing it--it is actually refusing to fulfill the lusts of the flesh in order to allow the Spirit to dominate in one's life.

Jesus also said that you cannot serve God and money. There are many Christian organizations as well as self-proclaimed Christians that love money. Jesus said that how hardly shall a rich man enter into the Kingdom of Heaven: This is Jesus's doctrine.

He was lowly and humble. He healed the sick, He raised the dead in order to heal but also to show that He is the GOD of all peoples regardless of race, economic status, color or language and that He cares about each one of us.

Jesus also said to love your neighbor as yourself... I don't see much of this anymore.

We need no priest--we can come boldly before the throne of grace to find mercy in times of trouble.

Jesus's doctrine was not popular when He walked the earth neither is it popular today. People just like to think and say that they are Christians but do not the works of Christ.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2014 09:56 am
Quote:
Cyracuz said to me: Christianity means a whole lot of organized institutions, some quite wealthy and powerful....
...it could be argued that to truly embrace Jesus' philosophy (as it was allegedly told by him) one would have to turn away from Christianity.

I don't give a rats ass about "organised institutions", and neither should anybody else! They can't get under Jesus's radar-
Jesus said: "Not all who call me "Lord,Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven. Then I'll tell them plainly, I never knew you, GET AWAY FROM ME!" (Matt 7:21-23)

See, Christianity is not organised institutions, Christianity is JESUS..Smile
Jesus said:-"You have ONE teacher, ME" (Matt 23:10)

and people quickly cottoned on-
"There is ONE mediator between God and men,- the man Jesus Christ" (1 Tim 2:5)
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb 12:2)
"There is no other name under heaven that can save us" (Acts 4:12)
graceforall

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 08:08 pm
@Cyracuz,
You are right. But if we would really be still and examine what is around us, maybe then we would draw some conclusions in how complex and impossible things really are starting with our bodies.
0 Replies

graceforall

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 08:18 pm
@Ragman,
Absolutely it would mean the end to man kind as we know it.
0 Replies

graceforall

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2014 08:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But you can be witness to intelligent design. Contention that living organisms exhibit complexity and specificity that cannot be mimicked by blind natural processes.