The return of Jesus would be the end of Christianity.

Procrustes

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 06:47 am
@Cyracuz,
I'm sure some might believe he is the real deal. It doesn't take much for some people to enter a cult so I don't see why certain people wouldn't follow the real Jesus...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 09:54 am
@kiuku,
Quote:
this time he fights back but when he does he is fighting another powerful figure so the world is in wreck and chaos as the result of Jesus having to fight a figure as powerful as he is.

What video game is that?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:34 pm
If Jesus came back to life it would be the best possible evidence for the Christian fundamentalist's thesis, but I agree that the political economy of formal religion is such that he would be suppressed one way or another.
Buddhism is different: if the Buddha came back to life his followers would simply ask "What's new?"
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:37 pm
@JLNobody,
or, "what's old?" Mr. Green
JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 04:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And for those Buddhists who believe in a literal notion of reincarnation the idea of "returning from the dead" would make little sense.
What's OLD? The dharma.
Actually, I guess if the Buddha were to teach something new it would be considered New Dharma. Or is the Dharma eternal, timeless? Mr. Green
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 05:37 pm
@JLNobody,
Should be 'timeless.' Any religion that advocates to improve oneself has to be the most logical theory of human beliefs.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 07:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
The return of Jesus would be the end of Christianity.

NO.
The return of Jesus would be the end of christianity.
neologist

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 07:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Ummm...

...ah, never mind!
Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 07:41 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
If Jesus came back to life it would be the best possible evidence
for the Christian fundamentalist's thesis, but I agree that
the political economy of formal religion is such that
he would be suppressed one way or another.
That 's a stupid thing to say.
All he 'd need to do is repeat some of his miracles.
What u call "formal religion" wud have no power to defeat his efforts.

Just out of curiosity, what gives u the impression
that "formal religion" is able to suppress him one way or another????

David
JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 07:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh crucifixons and burnings. Although formal religions do not have the secular power they had in Jesus' day. But do you really believe that any old magician could win the world over to Him?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 09:38 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Oh crucifixons and burnings.
U believe that Jesus wud put up with that???
Y ?

If u had His power, wud u put up with that ?
JLNobody

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Of course I can't participate in this.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:25 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
If Jesus came back to life it would be the best possible evidence for the Christian fundamentalist's thesis

But would they recognize him?
Hypothetically, of course, if Jesus came back and told us that the religion founded on him was false, and that everyone should convert to Islam, for instance, because that was the true word of God... Do you think Christians would accept that? I rather think not.

Jesus would only be accepted in so far as he fulfilled the expectations Christians have of his return. If he deviated from that I think it more likely that Christians would turn away from him than from their own beliefs. Such is the nature of religion.
neologist

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:48 pm
@neologist,
If I had said "The return of Jesus would be the end of nominal christianity", would that have made more sense?
mikeymojo

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:25 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

If I had said "The return of Jesus would be the end of nominal christianity", would that have made more sense?

Nope cuz Biblical Jesus isn't returning. Just like the people of his time, modern Christians still have no clue as to why Biblical Jesus was on Earth in the first place. (Hint: it wasn't to amaze Man with 'miracles')
So it makes no sense whatsoever.
Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 07:43 pm
@Cyracuz,
You've obviously never read Revelation.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:00 pm
@mikeymojo,
If you have read the Bible, the quick and dirty explanation says, he was sent here to die on the cross for the worlds sins. At least that is the purpose that I have gathered for my years in church as a teenager. Unless that has changed in the last 20 years.
mikeymojo

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 09:18 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

If you have read the Bible, the quick and dirty explanation says, he was sent here to die on the cross for the worlds sins. At least that is the purpose that I have gathered for my years in church as a teenager. Unless that has changed in the last 20 years.

So Biblical Jesus spent so much of his time on Earth trying to convince Man to be fair and to love one another for no reason other than to be in a book? That's ridiculous. The message was always in the deeds he performed trying to show Man that they can perform those same deeds just like he did. Stuff like helping the poor and preaching kindness and fairness to all, even your enemies. Biblical Jesus taught Man how to save themselves, and it's Man's job to do it. It's really that obvious.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 09:34 pm

People who have returned from death
(meaning flat lines on EEG, EKG & Respiration for a while) in hospitals
have a long-standing nation-wide consensus (of those who awaken with memories of it)
that at the end of your incarnate life, u judge your own human life, by 2 criteria:
1. Love
2. Learning. That is consistent with Christianity.

David
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:12 pm
@mikeymojo,
All of that is ture according to the Bible. But we are talking about his purpose after having been crucified. Without the crucifixion and the rising from the dead, he wouldn't be Jesus Son of God, he would have been just another man preaching good works and deeds towards his fellow man. His return just lends more credence to his preaching about good deeds and words.