THE GREAT WAR--A CENTURY AGO . . .

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 11:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
As a compromise I might have agreed to join up as an unarmed non-combatant, such as a stretcher bearer rescuing wounded men from no mans land, or as a chaplain going round cheering the blokes up.
But as the war progressed and the Hun started bombing Britain with Gothas and Zeppelins, THAT'S when I'd have probably said- "Okay give me a rifle, I'm joining the shooting war now!"..Smile

Zeppelin over England, 1916
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/ZeppoverEngl1916.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 11:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Zeppelin over England, 1916
Did it HIT u ?

I hope that u and Juliette, were careful
with those Zeppelines! O, the humanity!
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 11:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Congrats mate, that was almost funny..Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 03:30 am
Inspired by Walter's post, i've looked around online and immediately found this site, which is a resource for illustrators, but nonetheless has some interesting examples of combat artists.

http://www.illustration-art-solutions.com/images/Combat8.jpg

This is a watercolor of wounded Senegalese soldiers by the Russian artist Leon Gaspard, who had been educated in Paris. He later followed the Russian army into combat. The French showed no prejudice about the troops they employed, and like the Senegalese pictured here, many soldiers from African countries fought for them. When American soldiers who were black objected to being used as laborers rather then as the combat troops they were trained to be, the French gladly availed themselves of their services. The 369th, 370th, 371st and 372nd infantry regiments served with the French army.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 11:28 am
In Russia, women went to war, and an American journalist estimated that as many as 5000 women were serving under arms, based on her tours of front line units.

http://reibert.info/attachments/zhenschiny-2-jpg.275501/

The Petrograd Women's Battalion in the field.

The First Russian Women's Battalion of Death was the only unit, however, to actively engage the Germans. They went over the top when the men in their regiment refused to do so, and broke through and occupied three lines of German trenches. They found a stash of vodka, and destroyed so that their male counterparts would not get drunk. The regimental commander could not get the men in the regiment to come to their support, so they were forced to withdraw. After the revolution, the women's battalions were disbanded due to the resentment of the men's regiments, who apparently thought their enthusiasm would prolong the war, which they wanted to end.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwylmh3xpq1qhny7yo1_500.jpg

Many of the Russian women cut their hair short, or shaved their heads to demonstrate their commitment.[/img]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 11:47 am
http://spartacus-educational.com/FWWboch2.jpg

Members of the First Russian Women's Battalion of Death attempted to defend the Winter Palace in Petrograd during the Bolshevik revolution late in 1917. The woman on the right is Maria Bochkareva, a peasant woman who had received the special permission of the Tsar to fight with a men's regiment in 1914, where she displayed great courage and initiative, and was wounded several times, and decorated several times.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:31 pm

Rap
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 04:54 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

As a compromise I might have agreed to join up as an unarmed non-combatant, such as a stretcher bearer rescuing wounded men from no mans land, or as a chaplain going round cheering the blokes up.
But as the war progressed and the Hun started bombing Britain with Gothas and Zeppelins,

THAT'S when I'd have probably said- "Okay give me a rifle, I'm joining the shooting war now!"..Smile
Y the delay ??
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:01 am
Quote:
THE GREAT WAR--A CENTURY AGO . . .
In the absence of the 3 world wars
(the last being the anti-communist war from 1945 to Christmas of 1991),
it is un-likely that we 'd have dedicated the financial resources
to Research & Development such that we 'd have landed on
the Moon yet, or that we 'd have a profusion of home computers.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:10 am
@Setanta,
Everything I've ever read indicates that the archduck was an asshole and had it coming.

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:14 am
WW-I was the greatest man-made disaster since the wars of Genghis Khan.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:25 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Everything I've ever read indicates that the archduck was an asshole and had it coming.
What do u have against Franz Ferdinand????
gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The manner in which the Austro/Hungarian empire was treating Serbia would do for starters...
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 12:20 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Yes, but then everything you've ever read indicates that the world is 6,000 years old. You clearly need to read more.

(archduck?)
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 12:33 pm
Example of an archduck.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Kyeta51s2wc/U6_ugQJ-4lI/AAAAAAAAOf4/khiX0NFawA8/s1600/0+1+256px-Scrooge+6.png
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 12:34 pm
It should be noted that Gunga Dim is completely irrational on the subject of Serbia.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:09 pm
@Setanta,
Not only about this subject.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:15 pm
Yes, one amongst many . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 02:20 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The manner in which the Austro/Hungarian empire
was treating Serbia would do for starters...
Be more specific ?
R u a Serbian ?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 03:15 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Yes, but then everything you've ever read indicates that the world is 6,000 years old. ....

I've stated repeatedly on A2K that I am not a young Earth creationist and do not believe in a 6000 year age for the Earth.
0 Replies