St Teresa of Avila's famously orgasmic vision?

oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:56 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Lower-case S for sun required there.

Yes I agree. The first sight of JTT's "the Sun" gives me the impression that it is a company. Razz
contrex

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:03 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

McTag wrote:

Yes I agree. The first sight of JTT's "the Sun" gives me the impression that it is a company. Razz

Or a newspaper? Anyhow, whether or not to capitalise Earth, Sun and Moon are style choices. There is no firm rule either way.
oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:29 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

McTag wrote:

Or a newspaper? Anyhow, whether or not to capitalise Earth, Sun and Moon are style choices. There is no firm rule either way.

Accepted.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:31 am
Wait a minute:
Should I have used "et al", not "etc."?
Quote:
including you and Contrex, Joe Nation etc.,
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:49 am
@McTag,
Quote:

Typical McTag doing his silly, anal prescriptions.

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:53 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
The people, including you and Contrex, Joe Nation etc., are smart by universal standards, not by the refractory JTT's little theory.

But ignorant as regards issues of language. Notice how they aren't able to discuss those issues or defend the nonsense the often advance.
JTT

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:04 pm
@McTag,
Quote:

Ho hum, another McTag blunder.

Why wouldn't an obvious idiot like you, McTag, consider using a dictionary before you open up and make a fool of yourself.

You clearly do do this for diversion. And it must be noted you do do diversion well.
JTT

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:06 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Here's a thing.

Is this another McTag blunder or a difference in dialects?
contrex

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:20 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Here's a thing.

Is this another McTag blunder or a difference in dialects?

I bet he's been watching the "Fargo" TV series.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:02 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
I'm afraid the use of the word also here remains open to question, McTag.
What JTT said is not a fact, but a whimsical drivel. The people, including you and Contrex, Joe Nation etc., are smart by universal standards, not by the refractory JTT's little theory.

That's a good point, I'm happy to concede.
JTT

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 04:25 pm
@McTag,
McTag: That's a terrible point but I'm thankful for the chance to grasp at anything to help me divert attention away from me and my blunders and from the indisputable fact that I don't have anywhere the necessary smarts to actually address any language issues.
McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 12:32 am
@JTT,

And another day dawns here. Who's bitching at whom today?
The language mechanic is spoiling for a fight, as usual.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 12:38 am
@JTT,

Quote:
Why wouldn't an obvious idiot like you, McTag, consider using a dictionary before you open up and make a fool of yourself.
You clearly do do this for diversion. And it must be noted you do do diversion well.

Sometimes when a dependable person raises a point, as Contrex did back there, I do consult a dictionary. And I found I was right, as I usually do. According to my dictionary, I mean.
Mars and Venus, yes, but the sun and the moon.
The moons of Jupiter.

Look, and learn.
contrex

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:41 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Sometimes when a dependable person raises a point, as Contrex did back there, I do consult a dictionary. And I found I was right, as I usually do. According to my dictionary, I mean.
Mars and Venus, yes, but the sun and the moon.
The moons of Jupiter.

Look, and learn.

I can see the appropriateness of the moons of Jupiter, but I can also see a case for a trip to the Moon. For example:
Quote:
moon vs. Moon: A Study in Arrant Pedantry
To capitalize, or not to capitalize? That is the question.

Here, the splendidly named Paul T Spudis, a senior staff scientist at the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston, Texas, complains that although he capitalizes Sun and Moon in the articles he writes, many (not all) editors demote them to lower-case. He blames the Associated Press Style Book: "AP capitalizes the proper names of planets, including Earth, stars, constellations, etc., but lowercases sun and moon.". He comments:
Quote:
Interestingly, the AP stylebook says to capitalize the Earth but not the Sun and Moon. My guess is that some classically educated nit-picker who was forced to sit through endless hours on the joys of the ablative absolute in Latin class decided that the Roman-named objects of the universe were worthy of linguistic worship, but the vulgar, barbarian Germanic names given to those other three bodies did not deserve to be capitalized.

Read his rant here: http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/moon-vs-moon-a-study-in-arrant-pedantry-152666843/

According to the Chicago Manual of Style, Internet is capitalized, although it debates on its own website whether that standard will change in the near future. Sun and moon are capitalized when they are used in context with astronomical terms (the astronauts successfully landed on the Moon). Sun and moon are not capitalized, though, when preceded by the word "the" out of astronomical context ("to the moon, Alice!").

University of Minnesota (now here's the thing!) says:
Quote:
Do not capitalize the words sun and moon.
Do not capitalize the word earth unless it is used without the definite article in connection with the names of other planets.

Webster says:
Quote:
Do not capitalize earth, moon, sun, except when those names appear in a context in which other (capitalized) celestial bodies are mentioned.

The United States Government Printing Office Style Manual 2000 says:
Quote:
Capitalize the names of the celestial bodies Sun and Moon, as well as the planets Earth, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. (but the moons of Jupiter)

The European Space Agency:
Quote:
13 December 2013
When China’s Chang’e-3 makes a soft landing on the Moon on 14 December, ESA tracking stations will record crucial radio signals. Later, signals from the surface will help Beijing mission control to pinpoint the lander’s location with extreme accuracy.

ESA’s Estrack network – a system of ten tracking stations in seven countries – has been providing critical support to China’s third Chang’e mission, starting just after its spectacular launch earlier this month and continuing during its cruise to the Moon.

NASA:
Quote:
Remembering Neil Armstrong
Forty-five years ago this summer, Neil Armstrong made humanity's first mark on the moon.

All this will (I hope) hammer home the point that capitalization/capitalisation of Sun, Moon, Earth, etc, is a STYLE CHOICE. There is no right or wrong answer. You can find a source to support whichever choice you want. It is kind of interesting that such issues generate so much discussion.

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 03:02 am
@contrex,

Well that's interesting, and useful. I get it, as I did before: but when I argue with the Mechanic, I have to simplify things for him so as not to get him too confused.
I usually disagree with Webster, too, but not this time.
oristarA

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 03:07 am
@JTT,
See what Contrex has done here, JTT, and learn.
Contrex's English begins to be better than yours.
-------------------------------------------------------------
contrex

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 03:42 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Contrex's English begins to be better than yours.

Begins? You damn me with faint praise!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:03 am
@oristarA,
Yes, I see clearly what Contrex has done. He has shown that McTag is wrong again. He has also caused McTag to illustrate what a liar he is and just what a pedantic little fool he is.

McTag is the one who seeks to cause trouble. He advances all manner of nonsense and then uses deceit and gross dishonesty to further cloud the issues.

Contrex: All this will (I hope) hammer home the point that capitalization/capitalisation of Sun, Moon, Earth, etc, is a STYLE CHOICE. There is no right or wrong answer. You can find a source to support whichever choice you want. It is kind of interesting that such issues generate so much discussion.

-------------------
http://i.word.com/idictionary/sun

M-W

Pronunciation: \ˈsən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sunne, from Old English; akin to Old High German sunna sun, Latin sol — more at solar
Date: before 12th century
1 a often capitalized : the luminous celestial body ...

///////////////////////

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/sun#sun

NOUN

1 (the sun or the Sun) The star around which the earth orbits.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:13 am
@McTag,
No quote, just McTag doing what he does best, offering up his planned diversions, his lies, his obfuscation. Some things never change.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:32 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
See what Contrex has done here, JTT, ... .

Yes, I do see, Ori, and Contrex is to be commended for his honesty. But Contrex isn't the issue. Do you see what McTag is doing, always does? Despite all the proof that illustrates just how foolish McTag is, just how wrong he is, McTag still seeks to obscure, to cloud the issues, to deceive. He is patently dishonest and his continued diversions show that he is not at all interested in honestly addressing the issues.

Can you locate McTag's last post where he deals with his errors in an honest, straight forward fashion. No, no one can because that's not how he operates.