St Teresa of Avila's famously orgasmic vision?

oristarA

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:39 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
. Claim? Defining the meaning of a word?

Yes, your silly claim about the figurative meaning of the word. You are really quite the liar. And a language doofus.

What?McTag replied with "It refers to a sexual sensual climax, extreme sensual pleasure", not figurative at all.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:53 am
@oristarA,
Can you read, Ori?

------------

McTag: Your dictionary will help with "orgasmic", a word that is rather misused today, usually in describing the pleasure to be had from eating exceptionally nice food.
It refers to a sexual sensual climax, extreme sensual pleasure.
---------

He made a fatuous claim about the figurative use of "orgasmic". Such uses are extremely common and this use is noted in every dictionary. McTag is so wrong here and you are defending the doofus. Why?
McTag

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 01:48 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Such uses are extremely common and this use is noted in every dictionary.

The figurative use is familiar to me, but it is not noted in the dictionary I have quoted to you; not a slight volume, by the way.
I would say it is not "extremely common", and is rather trendy and twee. An unnecessary superlative more liable to be found, say, in women's magazines and suchlike publications.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 02:09 pm
@contrex,
Yeah I did. It pointed up your stunning hypocrisy talking of Dawkins and your stupid signature line. It has no meaning. It points up that you are even dumber than you seem.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 02:12 pm
@McTag,
It was quoted in walter's oxford. It is quoted in every dictionary I checked. You didn't even post yours. Why would you expect anyone to believe a liar like you?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 07:06 am

Note how quickly a thread goes downhill when JTT gets involved.

A disgrace to his calling, a disappointment to his tutors, and an embarrassment to those who begat him.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:40 am
@McTag,
Notice how McTag uses all manner of diversion to avoid focusing on the language issues he raises. He's too scared to address the because he knows his little hints won't take him far.

Quote:
I did not think it necessary to state obvious and simple facts to one so learned.

Oxford Concise English.

It was quoted in Walter's Oxford. It is quoted in every dictionary I checked. YOU DIDNT EVEN POST YOUR SOURCE. Why would you expect anyone to believe a liar like you?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 10:35 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Note how quickly a thread goes downhill when JTT gets involved.

A disgrace to his calling, a disappointment to his tutors, and an embarrassment to those who begat him.

I used to wonder if he/she is autistic, due to the profound lack of empathy displayed in his/her posts, and the exceptional degree of monomania. Now I veer towards the simpler diagnosis of 'crazy'.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 10:47 am
@contrex,
How did a patently dishonest boob like you, Contrex, a known liar, ever get the position in things financial you now say you are in?
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 10:51 am
@JTT,
JTT, how does one politely tell you to **** off back under your stone?

A2K life was quite bearable when you were off laying your eggs for that short while.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:02 am
@Lordyaswas,
Gee, imagine that. Another famously dishonest know nothing arrives on the scene.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:23 pm
O, JTT's crazy art booms,
And every one expects:
When will it get busted?
Boom-and-bust cycles run,
For the time being,
We're in doom and gloom;
Till it is shattered by the fate,
The life's stun gun.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 08:30 pm
@oristarA,
You're as bad as McTag and the rest of them for avoiding the language issues, Ori. Whodda thunk it, Ori the prescriptivist!?
McTag

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 03:02 am
@JTT,

Ye gods, he's attacking the Chinese now! (Never a good idea.)

The Pol Pot of modern language science.
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 11:51 am
@McTag,
McTag's famously orgasmic volubility on everything but the language issues.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 08:34 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I would say it is not "extremely common", and is rather trendy and twee.

If it's trendy, it follows that it's common.

Is 'twee' common?

Quote:
An unnecessary superlative more liable to be found, say, in women's magazines and suchlike publications.

Gee, you're not only ignorant as regards language, you're sexist too.

Don't women's magazines and such publications use English?
McTag

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 01:51 am
@JTT,

Quote:
If it's trendy, it follows that it's common.

Not necessarily so. Writers continually seek new ways to express (usually old) ideas. Have you read any showbiz/media press, for example, lately? (It comes with the weekend supplements, otherwise I wouldn't bother myself).
A lightweight usage for lightweight people (and Goethe... in German). But that's only my opinion.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:55 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You're as bad as McTag and the rest of them for avoiding the language issues, Ori. Whodda thunk it, Ori the prescriptivist!?

Avoiding the language issues? That is more of a JTT's job. I fall short of that level.

JTT wrote:

(JTT wrote on Sat 28 Jun, 2014 03:08 pm)

We'll start a list today.

1. May/can

We wait and wait,
(Two days passed)
Yet nowhere to find JTT's list.
Is it possible, at any moment,
That he would conjure it
With a flick of his magic wand,
From thin air?
No, never did he enter Hogwarts
For a single day.
His evasion and silence just proves
McTag's innocence.
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 07:04 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Avoiding the language issues? That is more of a JTT's job. I fall short of that level.

You sure do, Ori. What would ever possess you to engage with those idiots in the peeves threads.

I'm not wasting my time collecting McTag's language nonsense. It's in most every thread he enters.

"McTag's innocence", now you have taken to lying, Ori. You just described him as incompetent in a recent thread.

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 07:25 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I'm not wasting my time collecting McTag's language nonsense. It's in most every thread he enters.

The "nonsense" is in your mind, no-existent in McTag's threads.
You cannot find them out, and you pretend wasting no time on collecting.

JTT wrote:

"McTag's innocence", now you have taken to lying, Ori. You just described him as incompetent in a recent thread.

Never have I said McTag's incompetent. I just pointed out that McTag's may be not as excellent as that of a Cambridge/Oxford English professor. He's good teacher (yet not an excellent professor). It is ridiculous to nitpick a good teacher as incompetent.