Does political correcteness weaken the fabric of a nation?

coldjoint

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I look forward to the day that blacks forgive me for being a white guy.

http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/hug.gif

Don't hold your breath.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 12:42 pm
Quote:
Hawkeye said: I look forward to the day that blacks forgive me for being a white guy.

And I look forward to the day they thank us for rescuing them from the jungle by giving them free passage on ships to good steady jobs on the plantations, well-fed, well- housed, free medical aid, free english-language lessons and free Christian education lessons..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/tribe1_zpse9794360.jpg~original
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 12:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
That point was made in the reparations thread, Blacks in america have no damages to show from slavery because they are much much better off now than they would if they were in Africa. They would be better off still if they would stop being professional victims and got to work.

I will save the violins for someone who deserves them.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
And I look forward to the day

They choose to stand as individuals on their own merits. And ignore the tripe that comes from race baiters and devious politicians that only use them to their own ends and profit.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:13 pm
@coldjoint,
Russia is more unified thn the USA? You've said some stupid **** but for pure ignorance this is a cake topper.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 09:37 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Russia is more unified thn the USA?

Show me how we are united? What do the two political parties agree on? And why is the media so compliant aiding the administrations divisiveness. This country is far from united.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:31 pm
US Patent Office Cancels Trademarks on "Redskins"

Let's see, the absence of trademarks will result in even more of the "offensive" merchandise being in the public sphere. Great victory.

But at least Snyder won't be making as much money.

In reality though, this ruling (if it stands) will not have a huge impact on the finances of the team, or even on it's ability to protect its rights to the name.
neologist

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Never been a big 'skins fan; but now I will rush to buy fan memorabilia.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I look forward to the day that blacks forgive me for being a white guy.

do you think white folks will ever forgive you for being a white guy?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Apparently the courts routinely uphold copyrights even without federal trademarks so Snyder isn't going to lose any money. It's more of a moral victory for the plaintiffs.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:27 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Apparently the courts routinely uphold copyrights even without federal trademarks so Snyder isn't going to lose any money. It's more of a moral victory for the plaintiffs.

Trademarks Not Equal Copyrights

The NFL actually holds the trademarks for all of the teams, and revenue from the sale of trademarked merchandise is shared equally among all NFL teams. If "Redskins" can't be trademarked, then anyone can sell Redskins merchandise without paying royalties to the NFL. It's questionable whether the rest of the NFL would put up with one of the teams sharing in that merchandizing revenue without producing any of it, and so that situation might provide the impetus for the league to force Washington to dump the team's name.

So yeah, it's potentially a big deal.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:43 pm
@engineer,
I get your point but I would call it a politically correct victory.

There are 62 schools which use "Redskins" for the team name including Red Mesa HS which is on a Navajo reservation in Arizona, the student body of which is 99% American Indian. The student body isn't in revolt and refusing to attend school until the name is changed.

A recent poll of American Indians showed that 90% didn't find the term offensive.

It's difficult to take the offensive against this so-called offense seriously when the majority of the people who one would expect to be offended are not.

Yes, there are American Indians among those leading the offensive, but I think I could find a few hundred white people to argue they are offended by the term "white bread," and no one would take seriously a movement to have sandwich bread called "colorless bread" or "pale bread" because the term "white bread" has been used in derogatory fashion to describe white people.

This is yet another case of people, who somehow believe that being offended ennobles them, constantly searching for the offensive. There will never be an end to their search. It sustains them.

What is offensive though is the suggestion by those who press on in their offensive against "redskins" that the American Indians who do not find the term to be offending only feel that way because they have had their souls crushed by the White Man.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I get your point but I would call it a politically correct victory.

There are 62 schools which use "Redskins" for the team name including Red Mesa HS which is on a Navajo reservation in Arizona, the student body of which is 99% American Indian. The student body isn't in revolt and refusing to attend school until the name is changed.

A recent poll of American Indians showed that 90% didn't find the term offensive.

It's difficult to take the offensive against this so-called offense seriously when the majority of the people who one would expect to be offended are not.

Yes, there are American Indians among those leading the offensive, but I think I could find a few hundred white people to argue they are offended by the term "white bread," and no one would take seriously a movement to have sandwich bread called "colorless bread" or "pale bread" because the term "white bread" has been used in derogatory fashion to describe white people.

This is yet another case of people, who somehow believe that being offended ennobles them, constantly searching for the offensive. There will never be an end to their search. It sustains them.

What is offensive though is the suggestion by those who press on in their offensive against "redskins" that the American Indians who do not find the term to be offending only feel that way because they have had their souls crushed by the White Man.

One of your better posts, Finn.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I don't know to what poll you are referring. But this one, which I would call 'recent', says just the opposite: the survey found the use of the term by non-Indians was seen as racist by 65.5% of Native respondents, whereas only 17.8% do not believe it is racist.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 02:55 pm
@joefromchicago,
This ruling will not eliminate team merchandising revenue. It may reduce it to some small extent, but it won't eliminate it. No one is going to be selling knock-offs at the games, and people are still attracted to products which bear the label "official merchandise of the ..."

I also question whether the owners would break ranks on allowing outside influences to interfere with their traditional revenue streams.

While none of the teams are currently in the cross-hairs of the offense-hunters other than the Redskins, it doesn't take a very stretched imagination to consider a time when the KC Chiefs come under attack or animal-activists start mewling about the use of animals in product promotion is a form of exploitation.

There is plenty of evidence to indicate that there is no limit to how nutty PC loons can get.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 03:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
In 2004, the National Annenberg Election Survey asked 768 people who identified themselves as Indian whether they found the name “Washington Redskins” offensive. Almost 90 percent said it did not bother them.

source

National Annenberg Election Survey

I cannot find an article in wikipedia on The Center for Indigenous Peoples Studies at California State University, San Bernardino
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 03:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I cannot find an article in wikipedia on The Center for Indigenous Peoples Studies at California State University, San Bernardino
Quote:
The Center conducts research, facilitates curricular and instructional programs, coordinates academic activities and interacts on at least four levels of indigenous peoples, contributing to the development of knowledge and advancement of related social issues. CSUSB is providing support through CIPS to enhance opportunities to provide service, learn about and engage in leadership roles in California, nationally with Indian Nations, and internationally with Indigenous Peoples.
http://cips.csusb.edu/

When you search outside wikipedia on academic sites and in scientific magazines, you'll get better results.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 03:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Perhaps, but then you didn't find this blurb on any such site, you found it on the group's webpage within the Cal State, San Bernardino site.

I was looking for something a bit more objective, for comparison purposes.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 09:27 pm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 11:39 pm
This should go well: Gender neutral pronouns

Students and teachers in Vancouver, British Columbia, can now use the gender-neutral pronouns "xe," "xem," and "xyr." The move is designed to accommodate students for whom "he" and "she" does not fit or is deemed inappropriate.

It's taking forever for us to adopt gender-neutral pronouns, so this move is very encouraging. The best we've got at this point is "they," which is obviously quite awkward. Some Swedes, for example, have started to use "hen" instead of "han" (he) and "hon" (she). And German parents can now select an indeterminate gender for their children.

Blah blah, etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fio9.com%2Fvancouver-school-board-introduces-gender-neutral-pronou-1592521441&ei=ZHaiU8WgBcjHoASnyIGIBA&usg=AFQjCNEhqYFCfrq00j6BFjahsT2DbW-ZDQ&sig2=fTplzFX-KAS9fHVZ3koSlQ