Since when is it considered non-PC to tell females they should smile more?

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:07 pm
Hi. I am a little curious about this. I told a young woman I know from a certain chat site I frequent that she should smile more in her pics, she would look more pleasant. In her main profile pic on that site she has a deadpan expression. Someone else I know from this chat site told me it's not considered politically correct to tell females to smile now; it's considered "sexist". Since when? How is that "sexist"?

What is wrong with doing telling a female they should smile more? People DO look more pleasant when they smile.

That person who said that telling females to smile more is not considered PC now said that because this has something to do with the #MeToo movement. What does this movement have to do with me?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 4,015 • Replies: 61

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
Never do this.

Women (and men, for that matter) don't exist to be pretty for you.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:23 pm
@jespah,
Lol. I didn't say that. I was telling that young woman she should smile more as a FRIEND. My mother tells people she meets they should smile more.

CHRISTIANS should be smiling, they have the Joy of the Lord.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:36 pm
@jespah,
This is a very Western attitude, and it is new to our culture. Women didn't used to feel this way, and in other countries most don't.

It is a cultural taboo that was instituted by a social movement.

Don't tell an American woman (or someone from a majority White, English speaking country) to smile.

In most of Mexico (except among Americanized women) it ia still seen as a compliment.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Feel what way?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:39 pm
@jespah,
I wasn't objectifying my female friend. Women are not objects.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:58 pm
@jespah,
I wasn't telling my friend to smile more because I thought it would make her look prettier. She's tomboyish. I don't care about people looking prettier. I thought I was trying to help her.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 09:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
...tomboyish...

What is it you are trying to say here?

Anywho, if you want her to smile then say or write something which will elicit the smile.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 09:17 pm
@Sturgis,
She's nice-looking but not girly. I was talking about her PIC on her chat site profile. I don't interface directly with people on that chat site. We communicate typing text to each other.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 09:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Christians should be smiling they have the joy of the lord.

If you mean God, then all religion followers who believe in this entity must be brought in. For verily, the Bible says God loves everyone, even sinners.

As far as that alone being the reason to smile, there are times when and where life is difficult, for a variety of reasons and the pain brought on, hinders a smile from forming. It doesn't mean that a person is not grateful for their life, just that sadness has stepped in.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 09:30 pm
@Sturgis,
I like tomboys as long as they are straight.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 09:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
Jesus and God love them without regard to their sexual desires.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 09:34 pm
@Sturgis,
I think you know what I meant.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 02:44 am
@maxdancona,
I've told a few of my female online friends that they should smile more. They didn't have a problem with it.

You're from Mexico?
ascribbler

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 05:04 am
In my culture sometimes we smile when we read what Americans do.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 12:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
My wife was told to smile by a complete stranger in the line at the grocery store the other day. She was wearing a mask. The guy got irate what she didn't respond. Telling a stranger how to act is a pretty aggressive act (aggressive enough that my wife was still talking about it when she got home). This particular aggressive act always seems to flow from men to women. If you want to tell men around you to smile more, go for it. My guess is they will tell you where to shove your smile. For your specific situation, did the person in question ask for your input? If she did, no problem. If she didn't, you should probably keep it to yourself.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 12:47 pm
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Sara Smile (Lyrics)

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 12:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I've told a few of my female online friends that they should smile more. They didn't have a problem with it.

That you know of.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 04:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Since when is it considered non-PC to tell females they should smile more?

You've been online at least since 2005 (and I'm certain for a bit longer as well). And your pleading ignorance for common things that have been around for years (and sometimes decades) is still astounding and sometimes pretty damn darn unbelievable.

JGoldman10 wrote:
What is wrong with doing telling a female they should smile more? People DO look more pleasant when they smile.

It's patronizing and dismissive AT BEST. It's somewhat rude, demeaning, and sexist at worst.

Here's a pretty famous Slate (yes, a free online media source since its inception so you cannot plead it was behind a paywall when it was first published) published way back in 2013.
The Tyranny of the Smile

"You'd Look Prettier If You Smiled!"—Finally, Here's the Perfect Response

Stop Telling Women to Smile
An art project from a black artist that dates back to 2012.
https://imgur.com/T4bMlqF.jpg
A video from the artist that you NEED to watch. But I don't think you will because she has a vagina and that makes her a lesser person to an alleged evangelical Christian that is you JGoldman.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 05:01 pm
It is funny that....

1) White liberal men get speak on what women want. This thread is a good example of this.

2) Conservative women, and non-westernized women from traditional cultures are never heard from.

It is a good thing that there are progressive men to speak for conservative women.