27
   

Does political correcteness weaken the fabric of a nation?

 
 
Romeo Fabulini
 
  0  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:08 am
Political Correctness is a "spiritual sickness", prophesied in the bible-

"..every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world" (1 John 4:3)

"Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a man is the antichrist, he denies the Father and the Son" (1 John 2:22/3)

"Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist" (2 John 1:7)

"Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come." (1 John 2:18 )
hawkeye10
 
  0  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Spirital sickness is the prime malady of modern man, and yes, PC culture is a part of it. Moderns are weak and unformed, thus the drive to cleanse our environment of things that we fear will do us in. This is also the reason we will willingly enslave ourselves to anyone who promises to keep us safe.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:06 am
Is it possible this could describe the modern situation?
Quote:
(Daniel 2:41-43) . . .“And whereas you beheld the feet and the toes to be partly of molded clay of a potter and partly of iron, the kingdom itself will prove to be divided, but somewhat of the hardness of iron will prove to be in it, forasmuch as you beheld the iron mixed with moist clay. 42 And as for the toes of the feet being partly of iron and partly of molded clay, the kingdom will partly prove to be strong and will partly prove to be fragile. 43 Whereas you beheld iron mixed with moist clay, they will come to be mixed with the offspring of mankind; but they will not prove to be sticking together, this one to that one, just as iron is not mixing with molded clay.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:18 am
The object of "political correctness" often is a worthy goal.

Humans sometimes over-react...and there may be some abuses.

But getting the playing field as level as possible seems to me to be a good thing.
coldjoint
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 12:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The object of "political correctness" often is a worthy goal.


If you consider anything but the truth and ignoring real problems a worthy goal , then I guess it does. But anyone should be able to realize that hiding a problem does not make it go away. In fact, it makes it worse.
coldjoint
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 12:59 pm
Quote:
15 Myths Millennials Accept as Fact


Political Correctness helps these persistent myths. And the MSM backing these lies. Plus progressive pundits beating these ideas to death.
Quote:
1. THIS COUNTRY WAS STOLEN FROM THE INDIANS
2. WE ARE A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS
3. THIS COUNTRY WAS BUILT ON SLAVERY
4. AMERICA IS RACIST
5. BLACK YOUTH ARE TARGETED BY WHITE MEN
6. WOMEN MAKE LESS THAN MEN
7. PRO-LIFERS ARE SEXIST
8. TRANNIES ARE WOMEN
9. GAYS LEAD THE SAME LIVES WE DO
10. CHRISTIANS ARE ANTI-SCIENCE
11. WE NEED FREE HEALTH CARE
Not so fast. Have you seen the way this administration handles money? We’re 17 trillion in the hole. That’s a lot. Seventeen trillion seconds ago we were cavemen trying to figure out fire. This country is rife with severe obesity and millions upon millions of illegals. We don’t have the cohesion that other free health care countries have, so this perfectly reasonable idea may be impossible.
12. THE EARTH IS DYING
13. THINGS ARE GETTING WORSE
The air has never been cleaner. We’ve never lived longer. Crime is at an all-time low. By virtually every possible metric, life has never been better. Yes, there was a school shooting recently. That doesn’t change the hatefact that schools have never been safer. Traveling, eating, fornicating, fighting—all safer than ever. The list goes on and on. I saw a homeless man today checking his iPhone while he asked for change! Does anyone in this country not have a TV? If you think things were so much better back then, get in a time machine and go there. Make sure you get your shots first though. God help you if you get sick.
14. DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH
When it comes to restaurants this is true, and that is why people always use restaurants to prove it. By any other standard, it tends to go pretty badly. I’m a race mixer but our family has decided to err toward Western values more than the American Indian ones because the West is the best. Assimilation leads to a sense of fraternity and that means a cohesive society. You ever see a wave pool in Japan? They are packed in there like sardines but they don’t mind because they’re all the same. When integration is discouraged you get Balkanization and we saw what happened in the Balkans. They played soccer with human heads.
15. WE’RE ALL EQUAL


http://takimag.com/article/15_myths_millennials_accept_as_fact_gavin_mcinnes/page_2
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:43 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
The object of "political correctness" often is a worthy goal.


If you consider anything but the truth and ignoring real problems a worthy goal , then I guess it does. But anyone should be able to realize that hiding a problem does not make it go away. In fact, it makes it worse.



Supposing that political correctness must necessarily involve "hiding the problem" is where you are off base, cj.

Often, what we term "political correctness" is bringing the problem into sight...highlighting it, in fact.

But...deal with it as you must. Greater understanding between people is going to happen...even with the people who would fight it.
coldjoint
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Often, what we term "political correctness" is bringing the problem into sight...highlighting it, in fact.


Oh I see. That is why Islam is discussed so openly on this forum? Get real Frank.


Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:01 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Often, what we term "political correctness" is bringing the problem into sight...highlighting it, in fact.


Oh I see. That is why Islam is discussed so openly on this forum? Get real Frank.





Get real yourself, cj.

Why not discuss Islam...and still have "political correctness" be a method of bringing problems into sight?
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:03 pm
A question for Neologist.

Person A refuses to stand up for the pledge of Allegiance in public school.
Person B gets offended and wants person A punished for not respecting his country.
Person A argues that it is his right to express himself (or not) as he sees fit.
Person B argues that a person living in the US should respect the US displays of disloyalty shouldn't be accepted.

Which of these two people is displaying the type of political correctness that is weakening the fabric of the Nation?

I would like to hear ColdJoint's opinion on this as well.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:09 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Political correctness has existed since the colonies were founded. Don't get married by age 20, burned as a witch. Marry someone of a different race, get banished from the state of Virginia, come out as gay, lose the Republican nomination for your long held state house seat. The public has always let its non-conformists have it with both barrels. It is already part of the fabric of the nation.

You use examples where conformity is imposed by the majority against the minority and conclude that it's the same thing as speech being made inclusive for the minority against the majority. I'm not sure you fully grasped the concept.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:13 pm
@joefromchicago,
Homophobes are not in the majority.
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Everywhere?
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  2  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
I don't think "political correctness" can be enacted by the minority on the majority so if that is what it is then I guess I don't.
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:13 pm
@engineer,
"Political correctness" isn't enacted by the minority on the majority, it's enacted by the majority for the minority.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:22 pm
Does it seem like the efforts to accommodate certain groups may be disproportionately applied?
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:32 pm
@neologist,
To the extent that it discourages free expression of thought and opinion, it very definitely harms the nation. It also harms the nation when it inculcates children in public schools with ideas and attitudes that are not settled and rightly subject to debate.

It is certainly not as harmful as cutting someone's nose off or burning them at the stake, but then I don't consider brutal enforcement of any orthodoxy as an expression of political correctness.

The sort of political correctness (and the term has not been randomly chosen) that tries to prevent people from calling a lunch sack a "brown bag" or results in the 12 month suspension without pay of a Pennsylvania teacher's aide for wearing a cross necklace in school has not been going on for centuries or decades, and even if it were, that would hardly be a reason accept it now. A whole lot of nasty practices were in place for a whole lot of years, but our society has matured and done away with them.

Almost all of these PC proscriptions are based on a ridiculous hypersensitivity to offense which actually encourages people to take offense at the silliest of things. Is there a black or brown person in America who is offended because a brown paper bag is called (Heaven forbid!) a "brown bag?" If there is (and sadly I wouldn't be surprised to find there is) I would bet dollars to donuts that they have been taught to express outrage over the not only "micro-aggressions" but illusory ones as well.

It is harmful to the nation because it can reduce the level of discourse to the infantile or simply idiotic, and because it misdirects attention and resources far better devoted elsewhere.

In and of itself, and at its current level, it isn't shredding the fabric of the nation but it certainly is applying unnecessary stress.


Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Often, what we term "political correctness" is bringing the problem into sight...highlighting it, in fact.

But...deal with it as you must. Greater understanding between people is going to happen...even with the people who would fight it. [/b]


I disagree with you here.

It is often involved in the manufacture of problems where none exist. And rather than bringing focus to bear on legitimate issues it can trivialize them and get in the way of honest and productive discussion which might actually address them.

If someone were to tell me that calling a lunch sack a "brown bag" was yet another good example of subtle, but destructive racial bias, I would laugh in their face and not listen to another word they had to say on the subject.

Prohibiting someone from wearing a small cross necklace to work is never going to enhance religious tolerance or tolerance for any alternative belief. The tiny minority of people who believe that it actually can are deluding themselves or lying.

Condemning use of true racial slurs is not political correctness. Condemning construction workers who yell obscene proposals to women passing by is not political correctness.

Often the PC proscriptions are put in place because of fear or a desire to control, not a desire to teach.
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Almost all of these PC proscriptions are based on a ridiculous hypersensitivity to offense which actually encourages people to take offense at the silliest of things. Is there a black or brown person in America who is offended because a brown paper bag is called (Heaven forbid!) a "brown bag?" If there is (and sadly I wouldn't be surprised to find there is) I would bet dollars to donuts that they have been taught to express outrage over the not only "micro-aggressions" but illusory ones as well.
This is pretty much what I meant in the OP.
0 Replies
 
engineer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 03:52 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm more in sync with Hawk's definition.

hawkeye10 wrote:

when I think of political correctness I think of retribution towards those who speak unpopular ideas or who use unpopular (words).
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/26/2022 at 11:48:41