Does political correcteness weaken the fabric of a nation?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 01:24 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Frank...uh what are you taking about...where did I mention pope paul II?
Are you having a senoir moment?

You were talking about bringing the Soviet Union to its knees.

Pope John Paul II had more to do with that then anyone else on the planet...I thought you meant him. But you used the term "president"...and John Paul was not president of anything. He was the pope.
giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh Frank! pope paul II???? More than anyone on the planet????
Man some one must be lacing your weed Frank.
Ronald Reagan was far more instrumental for the fall of the USSR than anyone other than Gorbie himslf. It certainly wasnt the pope who drove them to finacial ruin. It wasnt the pope who lied to them about SDI was it?
Was it the pope who supported the mujahideen in Afghanistan?
Where do you gat these kooky ideas?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 06:06 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Oh Frank! pope paul II???? More than anyone on the planet????
Ronald Reagan was far more instrumental for the fall of the USSR than anyone other than Gorbie himslf. It certainly wasnt the pope who drove them to finacial ruin. It wasnt the pope who lied to them about SDI was it?
Was it the pope who supported the mujahideen in Afghanistan?
Where do you gat these kooky ideas?

Reagan was the most incompetent president we've ever had. I say "was" because Dubya came along to take the title.

If you want to think he was the reason the Soviet Union disintegrated, do so. But John Paul...and Gorbachev had much, much, much more to do with it.
giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 06:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ok I'll bite...how did the pope cause the downfall of the USSR?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 07:29 pm
Surely Communism caused the fall of the USSR?
They tried it for about 70 years, finally realised it was a crock, and dumped it..Smile
giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 07:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Well not really...they were forced to because of mostly economic issues
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 07:52 pm
@giujohn,
Are there any countries that have made a success of communism?
For example I hear North Korea and Cuba are a mess because of it
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 07:54 pm
@giujohn,
Saying anything good about a Republican sticks in Frank's throat. He just can't bring himself to do it. Pope John Paul II was instrumental in the downfall of the Soviet Union, but more so than Reagan? Never.
giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:04 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
China?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 08:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I forget....what did he do again?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:49 pm
@giujohn,
He inspired the poles to successfully take on their communist rulers which lead to similar efforts in Eastern Europe. Like I said it didn't compare to what Reagan did.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 10:17 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:

More like Dr. Leary put some sugar in his tea. http://www.alien-earth.org/images/smileys/acid.gif
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Saying anything good about a Republican sticks in Frank's throat. He just can't bring himself to do it. Pope John Paul II was instrumental in the downfall of the Soviet Union, but more so than Reagan? Never.

Neither the pope nor Reagan had anything to do with the downfall of the USSR. Communism was responsible for that. Communism had no answer to the new information age. Communistic entities, which could not cope with the new high-tech world, were rife with corruption and alcoholism. The USSR no longer had the wealth to support the various communist countries, much less support itself. Soldiers were deserting in mass in the other countries, and even selling their weapons on the black market. The crumbling of communism accelerated as though in a landslide.

Former communist leaders in the USSR to a man scoff at the notion that fear of Reagan brought down the country. The country still had enough weapons to destroy the USA many times over. We, of course, could do likewise to the USSR retaliation.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:38 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Former communist leaders in the USSR to a man scoff at the notion that fear of Reagan brought down the country.

I don't blame them, Reagan's contribution to the demise of their regime wasn't inducing fear in anyone.

To a large extent, it was quite the opposite.

Having Reagan at the helm of the United States gave at least the impression to those in Soviet satellites who rose up to defy their communist masters, that if the worst came, the US would have their backs. Whether or not this was the actually the case, we'll never know as it didn't prove to be necessary.

Ultimately Soviet communists and Soviet communism were, of course, primarily responsible for their own fall, but people like Reagan, Pope John Paul II and Margaret Thatcher provided significant assists and determined the timing.

If we accept that the fall of the Soviet Union was a good thing for the people it dominated and the world at large, then the sooner the better and these three people (among others- we can throw George HW Bush into the mix too) are responsible for making it sooner, rather than later.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 02:06 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
Neither the pope nor Reagan had anything to do with the downfall of the USSR. Communism was responsible for that.
Former communist leaders in the USSR to a man scoff at the notion that fear of Reagan brought down the country.

Not many political scholars or historians would agree with you. And I would expect the former soviet leadership to take that stance.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:37 am
@Advocate,

Quote:

Who gives a good ****? It really is not relevant to the topic.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:07 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
I never meant, in the OP, to assert that the goals of political correctness are necessarily malevolent. Rather, I wondered if such efforts may become divisive. Hence, my posting of what I thought might be PC in the extreme, that most likely to cause division.
I see the OP has caused division. I hope that's a good thing.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:44 am
From 2009, and things are certainly not getting any better.
0 Replies

TheIndependentLib

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:06 pm
forgiveness makes our nation stronger. It brings us closer to understanding and can truly end any and all conflicts.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:08 pm
@TheIndependentLib,
TheIndependentLib wrote:

forgiveness makes our nation stronger. It brings us closer to understanding and can truly end any and all conflicts.

I look forward to the day that blacks forgive me for being a white guy.