Is this really considered rape?

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:55 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

So in the same breath you say " that is not true" as well as " I dont understand the concept".

I certainly understand the concept. I just don't understand what you understand about the concept. My hunch is that you don't understand much at all.
firefly

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 12:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Consent needs to be continuously reauthorized according to most states...

No, it doesn't have to be "continuously reauthorized"--but the partner has to be capable of withdrawing his/her consent at any point.
Quote:

"If the complainant is unconscious during the sexual activity, she has no real way of knowing what happened and whether her partner exceeded the bounds of her consent," the ruling said.

The definition of consent is an ongoing state of mind where individuals can ask their partner to stop, McLachlin wrote.

What's your problem with that definition of consent?

Quote:
Next up: consent ends when a person is no longer able to withdraw consent, tie a woman up and put a ball gag in her mouth and then we the state will get you for rape, even if she asked you to do it.

In that BDSM scenario, does it include ignoring indications of non-consent, or not asking for indications of whether she's agreeable, once she's tied up and gagged? If she can't withdraw consent, what makes it not a rape?

Are you saying that a female who agrees to be tied up and gagged loses all rights to withdraw her consent for subsequent acts, and should have no legitimate cause, or standing, to file a rape complaint if she feels she's been sexually assaulted against her will while restrained?

http://images.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rapebook.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:52 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
No, it doesn't have to be "continuously reauthorized"--but the partner has to be capable of withdrawing his/her consent at any point.

That is the same thing, and so is " consent can not be pre approved".

Quote:
What's your problem with that definition of consent?

as i have said, I and a lot of people I hang with continually do things that violate this definition of consent.

Quote:
If she can't withdraw consent, what makes it not a rape?
That fact that she said earlier " I want you to make me do it weather I want it then or not, use me no matter what I want".

Quote:
Are you saying that a female who agrees to be tied up and gagged loses all rights to withdraw her consent for subsequent acts,
If a woman agrees to be put in a position where she physically can not reauthorize consent then the state has no business coming back and calling that rape. Even the brits have not gone this far where restraining and hooding a person so that no communication is possible is not a crime so long as the person who is so restrained knew that the consequence would be the inability to cancel consent.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

So in the same breath you say " that is not true" as well as " I dont understand the concept".

I certainly understand the concept. I just don't understand what you understand about the concept. My hunch is that you don't understand much at all.
Is it starting to dawn on you that I am right a whole lot more than your political beliefs can handle? If not there is always tomorrow, I try to not give up on people.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 06:35 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Is it starting to dawn on you that I am right a whole lot more than your political beliefs can handle?

I have always considered you a political lodestone. I know that, if you support a position, the opposite position is invariably the correct one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 06:55 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This is a "few minutes" where she was lying next to him after she had crawled into his bed with him.

It wasn't his bed, it was her bed, and she didn't "crawl" into the bed, she got up and changed into pajamas and got back into her bed. It so much easier to make an argument when you distort the facts, and use tendentious language, huh Max?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:30 am
Cross posted in the rape thread
Quote:
Quote:
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has dropped columnist George Will and told readers that his provocative column on sexual assault on college campuses was a factor in the decision.
“The change has been under consideration for several months, but a column published June 5, in which Mr. Will suggested that sexual assault victims on college campuses enjoy a privileged status, made the decision easier,” the editor’s note read. “The column was offensive and inaccurate; we apologize for publishing it.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/george-will-sex-assault-column-st-louis-post-dispatch-108052.html#ixzz356SPqhbN

" we published a view that goes against the feminists story line, we apologize for publishing it.”
firefly

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 12:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
" we published a view that goes against the feminists story line, we apologize for publishing it.”

If being a victim of sexual assault is such a "coveted" and "privileged' status, I wonder why these crimes are so under-reported? Surely more women should be seeking that allegedly "coveted" status.

Has George Will ever actually spoken to any college women who have been the victims of a sexual assault?

Has any feminist columnist ever been stupid or offensive enough to suggest that being falsely accused of a sexual assault confers a "coveted' and "privileged' status on a male?

The only thing that creates more victims of sexual assaults are those people who continue to perpetrate crimes of sexual assaults.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 12:42 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I wonder why these crimes are so under-reported?

What is the evidence that these crimes are under-reported? How is this number measured?

Is this one of those things that everyone believes because it supports a narrative, but no one has any facts to back it up?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Compare sexual assault reporting rates to other types of assault reporting rates and I bet you find that sexual assault is over reported.

The under report assertion comes from asking women in anonymous surveys " do you think you have ever been mistreated sexually?" And then compairing that to reports of crimes. What gets fudged is that a lot of this mistreatment resides solely in the head of the woman, or is not a crime, or the woman does not want the state to beat on the man. The feminists will assert that the "under report" happens because women do not trust the state to beat on men hard enough or because of societal " rape culture". This assertion is easily proven false by asking actual victims why they did not turn the alleged abuser over to the state. In fact the feminists dont want to talk about how many of these alleged victims dont even believe that what the man did to them should be a crime. Women in general are much compassionate towards men then the feminists are.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
What is the evidence that these crimes are under-reported? How is this number measured?

Is this one of those things that everyone believes because it supports a narrative, but no one has any facts to back it up?

There's plenty of statistical evidence to back up the under-reporting.

It's measured through various surveys and studies which have been done over the past 25-30 years. They all find consistent under-reporting.

They also find results like these...
Quote:
Only Psychos Think Rape is OK...Right?

Societal Attitudes Supporting Rape

- A survey of 6,159 college students enrolled at 32 institutions in the U.S. found the following: (ref 4)

· 54% of the women surveyed had been the victims of some form of sexual abuse; more than one in four college-aged women had been the victim of rape or attempted rape;

· 57% of the assaults occurred on dates;

· 73% of the assailants and 55% of the victims had used alcohol or other drugs prior to the assault;

· 25% of the men surveyed admitted some degree of sexually aggressive behavior;

· 42% of the victims told no one.

- In a survey of high school students, 56% of the girls and 76% of the boys believed forced sex was acceptable under some circumstances. (ref 5)

- A survey of 11-to-14 year-olds found:(ref 5)

· 51% of the boys and 41% of the girls said forced sex was acceptable if the boy, "spent a lot of money" on the girl;

· 31% of the boys and 32% of the girls said it was acceptable for a man to rape a woman with past sexual experience;

· 87% of boys and 79% of girls said sexual assault was acceptable if the man and the woman were married;

· 65% of the boys and 47% of the girls said it was acceptable for a boy to rape a girl if they had been dating for more than six months.

- In a survey of male college students:

· 35% anonymously admitted that, under certain circumstances, they would commit rape if they believed they could get away with it (ref 6,7).

· One in 12 admitted to committing acts that met the legal definitions of rape, and 84% of men who committed rape did not label it as rape.(ref 6,7)

- In another survey of college males: (ref 8)

· 43% of college-aged men admitted to using coercive behavior to have sex, including ignoring a woman's protest, using physical aggression, and forcing intercourse.

· 15% acknowledged they had committed acquaintance rape; 11% acknowledged using physical restraints to force a woman to have sex.

- Women with a history of rape or attempted rape during adolescence were almost twice as likely to experience a sexual assault during college, and were three times as likely to be victimized by a husband. (ref 9)

- Sexual assault is reported by 33% to 46% of women who are being physically assaulted by their husbands.(ref 10)

Sources:

1. Dupre, A.R., Hampton, H.L., Morrison, H., and Meeks, G.R. Sexual Assault. Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey. 1993;48:640-648.

2. National Crime Center and Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center. Rape in America: A Report to the Nation. Arlington, VA; 1992:1-16

3. National Victim Center, and Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center. Rape in America: A Report to the Nation. Arlington, VA; 1992:1-16.

4. Koss M.P., Hidden rape: sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of students in higher education. In: Burgess A.W., ed Rape and Sexual Assault. New York, NY: Garland Publishing: 1988;2:3-25.

5. White, Jacqueline W. and John A. Humphrey. "Young People's Attitudes Toward Acquaintance Rape." Acquaintance Rape: The Hidden crime." John Wiley and Sons, 1991.

6. Koss M.P., Dinero, T.E., Seibel, C.A. Stranger and acquaintance rape: Are there differences in the victim's experience? Psychology of Women Quarterly. 1988:12:1-24.

7. Malamuth N.M. Rape proclivity among males. J Soc Issues. 1981;37:138-157.

8. Rapaport, Karen R. and C. Dale Posey. Sexually Coercive College Males. Acquaintance Rape: The Hidden Crime, edited by Andrea Parrot. John Wiley and Sons, 1991.

9. Ellis, Atkeson, Calhoun, 1982: Gidycz, Coble, Latham, Layman, (1993); Guthrie, Notgrass, 1992.

10. Frieze IH, Browne A. Violence in marriage. In: Ohlin, L, Tonry, M, eds. Family Violence: Crime and Justice, A Review of Research. Chicago, Ill: University of Chicago Press; 1989:163-218.

11. American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Adolescence. Sexual assault and the adolescent. Pediatrics. 1994;94(5):761-765.

12. Heise, L.L. Reproductive freedom and violence against women: where are the intersections? J Law Med Ethics. 1993;21(2):206-216.

http://www.uic.edu/depts/owa/sa_rape_support.html

Quote:
Past studies have shown increases in reporting, but they did not consider changes in the types of incidents occurring or being reported. “Reporting trends without the details—such as crime completion, presence of a weapon, or victim-offender relationship—can be misleading,” researcher Eric Baumer points out. “Changes in willingness to report can be confused with changes in the nature of the crimes themselves.” So Baumer aimed for a more comprehensive study that considered such details.

He used data from the National Crime Survey (NCS) (1973–1991)[1] and National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) (1992–2000)[2] to find out how reporting has changed over time, who does the reporting, and the effect of the victim-offender relationship on the chance a rape will be reported. Baumer’s research included all incidents involving a female victim and one or more male offenders (1,609 from 1973–1991, and 636 from 1992–2000)...

Although legal, social, and political reforms appear to have improved the chances that a rape or attempted rape will be reported to police, most victims still do not report.

Between 1992 and 2000, an average of 31 percent of attempted and completed rapes were reported. That rate increased over the decade, but the fact remains that less than half of such crimes are reported to police.

Baumer suggests that work be done to identify the policies or practices that encourage reporting and to apply those practices elsewhere. Such a strategy might, in turn, increase the chance of arrest and prosecution and, ultimately, the deterrent effect of the criminal justice system.

NCJ 214118

For More Information
•Baumer, E., Temporal Variation in the Likelihood of Police Notification by Victims of Rapes, 1973-2000, final report submitted to the National Institute of Justice, Washington, DC: University of Missouri-St. Louis, April 2004 (NCJ 207497), available at www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/207497.pdf.

Quote:
80% of women don’t report rape or sexual assault, survey claims
The vast majority of women who are raped or sexually assaulted do not report the crime to police, a Mumsnet survey suggests, in many cases because they have little confidence that their attacker would be brought to justice.
Martin Beckford , Home Affairs Editor
12 Mar 2012

The poll carried out by the parenting website Mumsnet found that 10 per cent of women had been raped, and 35 per cent sexually assaulted.

Almost of a quarter of victims had been attacked repeatedly, and two-thirds knew the person responsible.

But most of those who had been raped or sexually assaulted (83 per cent) failed to report it to police, and 29 per cent did not even tell friends or family what had happened.

Overall about half said they would be too embarrassed or ashamed of the incident to admit it but two-thirds said they would hesitate because of low conviction rates.

More than half of the 1,609 female respondents to the survey said the legal system, the media and society at large is unsympathetic to rape victims.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9134799/Sexual-assault-survey-80-of-women-dont-report-rape-or-sexual-assault-survey-claims.html

This is the Mumsnet survey referred to in the above article.
Quote:
Mumsnet rape and sexual assault survey results

We asked Mumsnetters to complete a survey telling us about their experiences of rape and sexual assault - and the response was overwhelming. Over 1,600 Mumsnetters told us about their experiences, making this one of the biggest surveys so far undertaken into this issue.

The results are deeply disturbing, and reflect what Mumsnetters already knew. Rape and sexual assault are far more common than the world at large wants to admit, and the vast majority of rapes and sexual assaults are never even reported.

The survey (completed by over 1,600 women) shows that, of respondents:
•One in 10 (10%) had been raped
•Over one-third (35%) had been sexually assaulted
•17% had been raped and sexually assaulted
•Meaning in total, 27% of respondents had been raped, and 52% had been been sexually assaulted.

One in four (23%) of those who had been raped or sexually assaulted had experienced this four or more times

•In two-thirds (66%) of cases the women knew the person responsible

Many women felt unable to report rape or sexual assault:
•Over four-fifths (83%) of respondents who had been raped or sexually assaulted did not make a report to the police
•Over one-quarter (29%) didn't tell anyone at all, including friends or family, about the assault/rape
•Over two-thirds (68%) said they would hesitate reporting to the police due to low conviction rates
•And over half (53%) would not report due to embarrassment or shame

The results also reveal that most women feel that rape victims are treated poorly:
•Nearly three-quarters (70%) of respondents feel the media is unsympathetic to women who report rape
•Over half (53%) feel the legal system is unsympathetic
•And over half (55%) feel society at large is unsympathetic

Thank you to everyone who took part and shared their experiences.

Mumsnet Rape and Sexual Assault Survey (21 Feb - 6 March 2012)
1609 respondents. The data is not weighted.
http://www.mumsnet.com/campaigns/we-believe-you-campaign-survey-on-rape-and-sexual-assault

And The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey started in 2010 compares self reports of sexual assault to those reported to authorities.
http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/index.html
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 02:44 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

There's plenty of statistical evidence to back up the under-reporting.

You have provided quite a bit of propaganda, you haven't provided any "statistical evidence".

I am asking for scientifically valid evidence. In a scientifically valid study, there is an explanation of how the statistics were derived, what questions were asked, what checks were done.

What I see is a bunch of statistics that could have been pulled from anywhere. All of these are from politically biased sources.

Or did I miss something. Could you give me an explanation of how they measure the rapes that are under-reported (other than making up a scientifically dubious calculate that supports their policy position)?
firefly

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

I am asking for scientifically valid evidence. In a scientifically valid study, there is an explanation of how the statistics were derived, what questions were asked, what checks were done.

What I see is a bunch of statistics that could have been pulled from anywhere. All of these are from politically biased sources.

These statistics were not "pulled from anywhere"--I gave you the sources.

I gave you the references--you are free to read the original studies, how the surveys were done, exactly what questions were asked, etc.

These sources, which include everything from the Centers for Disease Control, to dozens and dozens and dozens of independent researchers at various colleges and universities. are not politically biased.

Where is your evidence that these results are either "politically biased" or "propaganda"? Since you're the one making that claim, I'm interested in seeing you prove it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I spent some time looking at the research.

There is science, and there is propaganda. I don't see any reason to believe that the 1 in 5 rate is anything but propaganda (not to say that rape isn't a problem on campuses). But this sensationalist number is not at all statistically valid.

A lot of the links you dumped are clearly propaganda with little science, and some are contradictory. I expect that you are intellectually honest enough to make this distinction.

I looked at the scientific studies, for example https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221153.pdf which is valid. They list their methods and the questions they asked and the admit their problems. I appreciate this and this makes it a valid part of a rational discussion.

There are obvious limitations here, this was a web-based survey that admits this is a limitation. It is not only self-reported, but it is biased in the fact that women who feel they have been assaulted are far more likely to take this survey then woman who aren't. They have a way they adjusted for this, but it involves a lot of guess work.

The unreported number is the most questionable. It is unclear about exactly what is not being reported (being a crime or not a crime).

I am not saying that we shouldn't take rape seriously. We should.

The problem is that the propaganda, which exaggerates the problems and twists the data, is not useful for making real policy.

The fact that due process is being sacrificed is the worst consequence of this.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:26 pm
@maxdancona,
One such survey used as evidence that men suck and that men abuse women wholesale:

Quote:
How many people have you had vaginal, oral, • doing things like telling you lies, making promises about the future they knew were untrue,
or anal sex with after they pressured you by

… threatening to end your relationship, or threatening to spread rumors about you?
• wearing you down by repeatedly asking for sex, or showing they were unhappy?
• using their authority over you, for example, your boss or your teacher?

that is counted as sexual assault

Quote:
• left strange or potentially threatening items for you to find?
• left you unwanted messages? This includes text or voice messages.
• made unwanted phone calls to you? This includes hang-up calls.
• sent you unwanted emails, instant messages, or sent messages through websites like MySpace
or Facebook?
• left you cards, letters, lowers, or presents when they knew you didn’t want them to?

that is counted as stalking, as it is assumed that the motive is violence against women. If a guy is pissed with you about something that has nothing to do with you being female who cares , ring them up anyway!

BTW: I love how the feminists try to have it both ways...men suck, but men allegedly have the super human skill of being able to read women's minds so as to know what they want.

http://www.sapr.mil/public/docs/research/2010_National_Intimate_Partner_and_Sexual_Violence_Survey-Technical_Report.pdf

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:28 pm
There are so many people who nitpick every detail, possibly because they secretly want to have their way with a girl, regardless of what she wants.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why do you feel the need to resort to personal attacks Edgar? That is beneath you.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:45 pm
Quote:
The NCVS is widely considered the best source of information for many kinds of criminal victimizations. However, the survey presents unique challenges for measuring low-frequency incidents, such as rape and sexual assault, which accounted for 1 percent or 217,331 of the criminal victimizations identified through the NCVS in 2011

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=18605

1%! Are they ******* kidding? THIS CAN NOT BE TOLERATED!

Call out the National Guard!

Rip up the Constitution!

Oppress the men so that the women are safe!

Make sure those little **** males are taught early to submit to females!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

There is science, and there is propaganda. I don't see any reason to believe that the 1 in 5 rate is anything but propaganda (not to say that rape isn't a problem on campuses). But this sensationalist number is not at all statistically valid.

Quote:
In a nationally representative survey of adults:

• Nearly 1 in 5 (18.3%) women and 1 in 71 men (1.4%) reported experiencing rape at some time in their lives.

• Approximately 1 in 20 women and men (5.6% and 5.3%, respectively) experienced sexual violence other than rape, such as being made to penetrate someone else, sexual coercion, unwanted sexual contact, or non-contact unwanted sexual experiences, in the 12 months prior to the survey.

• 4.8% of men reported they were made to penetrate someone else at some time in their lives.

• 13% of women and 6% of men reported they experienced sexual coercion at some time in their lives.

Black MC, Basile KC, Breiding MJ, Smith SG, Walters ML, Merrick
MT, Chen J, Stevens MR. The National Intimate Partner and Sexual
Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010 Summary Report. Atlanta, GA:
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention;2011

Quote:
• In a nationally representative survey of adults, 37.4% of female rape victims were first raped between ages 18-24.

• In a study of undergraduate women, 19% experienced attempted or completed sexual assault since entering college.

Krebs CP, Linquist CH, Warner TD, Fisher BS, Martin SL. College
women’s experiences with physically forced, alcohol- or other
drug-enabled, and drug-facilitated sexual assault before and
since entering college. Journal of American College Health 2009;
57(6):639-647.

Have you found any scientifically valid studies that refute that 1 in 5 statistic?

Quote:
It is unclear about exactly what is not being reported (being a crime or not a crime).

Are you brain dead? Sexual assault, sexual contact without consent, by definition is a crime--it violates the laws of all 50 states. And it's a crime which is significantly underreported, allowing rapists to commit such crimes with considerable impunity.

Most rapes are committed by a very small percentage of men--between 4--9% of all men. But each of those perpetrators commits about 6 rapes each.

These repeat rapists are what drives up the rape statistics. Failure to report crimes of rape to authorities allows these serial perpetrators to remain undetected, and to continue to commit their crimes.

Quote:
The problem is that the propaganda, that exaggerates the problems and twists the data, is not useful for making real policy.

The problem is that baselessly dismissing quite scientifically valid studies, indicating both the prevalence of the crimes of sexual assault, as well as estimates of considerable under-reporting of such crimes, is neither useful for making real policy, or for deterring such crimes.

The problem of sexual assault is not being exaggerated--you just don't want to recognize the extent of the problem.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 04:00 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Approximately 1 in 20 women and men (5.6% and 5.3%, respectively) experienced sexual violence other than rape, such as being made to penetrate someone else, sexual coercion, unwanted sexual contact, or non-contact unwanted sexual experiences, in the 12 months prior to the survey.

Just to be clear this for instance includes a guy leaving a message on your voice mail that you did not want. It also includes him asking one too many times (which might be one time) to do something sexual with you.

Dont look to deeply into how the government/feminist cooperative comes up with their numbers unless you have a strong stomach.