VA Scandal

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:09 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That's nice. Why are you screaming?

I'm not screaming...except to people who want to see it as screaming.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:13 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Also what it with the quotes? Anyone can see what you said by clicking re what you responded to.

If I want to quote...so that it is certain what I am commenting on...I will do so. Some people prefer to paraphrase...so they can distort.

If you prefer to click...do it.

Quote:
among your annoying traits is that you quote all in creation, we get it if we lift a finger to look on little green words that were said that you are answering.

Perhaps you are too easily annoyed. If so...A2K is probably not the place for you.

Quote:

That plus the loud type is getting tough to read.

Talk with Robert about that. Perhaps he can exempt you from the requirement to read all posts.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps39389636.jpg
roger

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Smile smile Smile
Frank Apisa

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps39389636.jpg

I use caps to emphasize.

I have explained to everyone here that I am using bold simply to differentiate my comments from the material on which I am commenting. Some use color. The community is not a particularly large one...and by now that should be understood.

The fact that it bothers some people says more about those people than about whether or not I am shouting.

Even when using caps...I am not shouting. I don't shout. I discuss.

I am attempting to be as reasonable and polite as possible (except for a very few situations where being polite simply does not work)...but I will not allow anyone to start something with me without responding.

The folded newspaper was funny, Walter. I enjoyed it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:48 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Smile smile Smile

Walter's post was worth the two smiles, Roger.

Must be an Internet site where those things can be made.

I gotta find that site!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 27 May, 2014 07:32 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

It's worse than horrible. It's criminal. Some people should be arrested and others fired.

And they're all in Congress. Going to fire your Teaparty Congressman, Brandon? Didn't think so. YOU are part of the problem, ace.

Maybe if you'd enlisted you'd have insight to a problem and not a collection of so-called-conservative talking points. Why didn't you enlist?
bobsal u1553115

Tue 27 May, 2014 07:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Don't know about you, but I pay NOTHING for my TriCare or prescriptions except $50 for eyeglasses.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 27 May, 2014 07:56 am
@roger,
I pay nothing (except for eyeglasses) and I am satisfied. I tend to feel satisfied about those things that have saved my life.

There's problems all right. But then the VA treats a lot of people very well other hospitals don't like treating - indigent, catastrophic injuries, chemical damage, psychogical, PTSD. Hard job done well if Congress would only fund it.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 27 May, 2014 08:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I refuse to believe that Dyslexia did not get into VA as a combat vet becuse he missed a cut off date. I was discharged from active duty in '73. I didn't register until 2010. I love VA. If only Congress didn't play political football with it.

The very first thing they did when I signed in was recieve an apology (many times by different people with VA I came into contact with) for the way we Viet Vets have been ignored. And I feel listened to and respected and very well treated. If I call for an appointment I get one for within a week. Better than I ever got in civilian medical care.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 May, 2014 08:16 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I refuse to believe that Dyslexia did not get into VA as a combat vet becuse he missed a cut off date.
If you refuse or not, it didn't change the facts.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 27 May, 2014 08:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What facts? What cutoff date? Forty-four years after I was discharged from active duty I was enrolled into the VA. What special circumstance prevented him from signing up? Was he an "Agent Orange" Vet? Was he claiming a service related disability?

AND I am dyslexic, coincidentally enough.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 May, 2014 09:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't have all facts present. And even if I had, I wouldn't post them.

But since it's just three years ago that he died, it's no point to discuss.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 27 May, 2014 11:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
From my own experience, I think it's likely so, that Dys could miss a cut off date. I served in the Navy and got my final discharge in 1968. I did not see a day of combat. I can get VA services, but not as a combat vet. He probably got classified as I was.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 May, 2014 01:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was "a bit" different, edgar.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
One week? Hell I live in an area with many hospitals and doctors and cant get an appointment in less than 3 weeks unless I have a heart attack and than they tell me to go to the emergency room. I would say one week was a great response time.
ossobuco

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:15 pm
@RABEL222,
True, that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:18 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

One week? Hell I live in an area with many hospitals and doctors and cant get an appointment in less than 3 weeks unless I have a heart attack and than they tell me to go to the emergency room. I would say one week was a great response time.

It is a great response time, Rabel...and it is closer to being "the rule" rather than "the exception."

Bobsal has indicated a favorable attitude toward the VA; I have; I know many, many people who feel that way. Since this controversy began, there have been many letters to the editor of the newspapers in New Jersey (and I suspect in many other states also) where people are acknowledging that the VA is not some kind of demon...and is, in the writer's opinion, a reasonably well functioning segment of the nation's healthcare system.

WE NEED WORK on our nation's healthcare system. Lots of it. The VA is part of that system that needs work.

But the piling on against the VA is way, way out of line...and the usual exaggerated indignation is even further out of line.

I hope we do plenty to make the VA a better system...more responsive to the people who use it for their healthcare. Frankly, as I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see the entire VA healthcare system closed and find other ways of making healthcare available to vets through the non-VA healthcare system. But that seems to be a long shot...and even if it happened, the non-VA healthcare system in this country seems to be every bit as in need of a fix as the VA.
roger

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

From my own experience, I think it's likely so, that Dys could miss a cut off date. I served in the Navy and got my final discharge in 1968. I did not see a day of combat. I can get VA services, but not as a combat vet. He probably got classified as I was.

That's my experience exactly, right down to the discharge date. Army, not Navy, though.

As I'm sure I already mentioned, I became enrolled in '95 with that broken shoulder. In fact, a local doctor helped expedited the procedure as he probably didn't want a complex procedure with no chance of collecting a bill. I would never have thought of enrolling just on general principles.

Honestly edgar, I think Walter, you, and myself are way more familiar with Dys's situation than someone who never met the man. Also, he would have been the last person on earth to ask for anything that sounded like charity to him.
edgarblythe

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:22 pm
@roger,
No doubt, that last, although he could be charitable to others.