VA Scandal

Frank Apisa

Sun 25 May, 2014 05:08 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You are way out of line, Apisa.

Yeah, you seem to think that often, Ossobuco.

roger

Sun 25 May, 2014 05:22 pm
@chai2,
At that point, one should be asking for directions to the inspector general. I haven't had that particular experience, but some non critical appointments have been four and even six months in the future.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 25 May, 2014 05:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
'cause I'm right.

Re Atul Gawande -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atul_Gawande

reading that, I see that I posted here re his article in 2009 on the two Texas towns and their practices and results, and I remember not being able to get anyone to read the actual article. One person didn't want to open the link, which I get, no other interest. Turns out that was a major article re a lot of this, on the hows of better medicine re practices and clinics.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 25 May, 2014 05:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
If Congress and the Presidents, ALL Presidents from Reagan on (except Obama) had stopped cutting services and budgets while promoting more wars everything would be a lot better.

Reread .
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 25 May, 2014 05:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
And all I want is to have it fixed. The only ones I want fired are all the Teapublican and Blue Dog Dems who have consistently over the years voted down budgets and against VA programs.
edgarblythe

Sun 25 May, 2014 06:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
But she's right.
edgarblythe

Sun 25 May, 2014 06:22 pm
We are not here to discuss other hospitals. That's another topic. The focus has to be on how to make the VA work for all veterans, not just Frank.
hawkeye10

Sun 25 May, 2014 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The focus has to be on how to make the VA work for all veterans, not just Frank.

At this point I think the focus needs to be how can we make government work. It used to. Is this the best we can do? Do we really suck this bad now? I refuse to believe it for now.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 25 May, 2014 06:31 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

And all I want is to have it fixed. The only ones I want fired are all the Teapublican and Blue Dog Dems who have consistently over the years voted down budgets and against VA programs.

Ya, that is the same bullshit argument as the one that the reason our schools suck so bad is that we dont spend enough money. We spend a ton of money, far more than anyone else and far more than we can afford. We spend it poorly, THAT is the problem.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 25 May, 2014 06:42 pm
I don't know how to fix the VA personally, but I take it facilities are impaired in many ways and trying to deal with it while not causing waves to slam down, thus the hiding of people on lists. I'm not on the scene so that is just a guess.

Seems to me this comes from lack of interest - maybe not from people in charge and certainly not from soldiers, but from ennui about status quo. I don't know. Have there been any new hospitals? any rebuilding?
edgarblythe

Sun 25 May, 2014 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
They just opened a new VA clinic, in Tomball, last year.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 25 May, 2014 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

'cause I'm right.

Actually, no you are not. But you need to suppose I am way out of line...so go for it. Wink

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 25 May, 2014 07:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

But she's right.

No, she is not. I am merely saying that I was helped by the VA...and that it is my experience that the treatment I got at the VA was not appreciably different from the treatment I got at regular hospitals.

Not sure what is "over the top" about that, but once again...you both seem to need this kind of thing...so indulge yourselves.

No skin...ya know.
Wink
edgarblythe

Sun 25 May, 2014 07:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's because you seem to be trivializing an important topic, as if the VA cannot possibly need a tune up, despite the fact that people have died.
ossobuco

Sun 25 May, 2014 07:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, you slammed edgarB's experience with vigor and suave. Alway arguing, instead of listening. Put him into a category of whiners among many, when he saw bad stuff himself.

I'm remembering now that story from the old boyfriend, the VA intern, re some months before.
He had a heart patient that he was perplexed what the hell to do about, middle of the night. Resident somewhere out in space. The ward nurse knew, and helped him. The patient improved.

Many years later he ran a major hospital emergency and did know what to do and not do. But she was part of getting there, he admired her.

My nurse pal loved the VA, and I am sans doubt she wasn't engaged with the patients.

However - much bad has happened to some of us both in hospital situations and re care of soldiers in general.

My father, who showed up with a dropped foot to see what was wrong, was sent to psych, and precipitated downhill, evermore to wards. Don't think of getting me started on that.
ossobuco

Sun 25 May, 2014 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Not that it is relevant, exactly, but he had been a full colonel, in charge of the tech services of the Army Air Force (photo) and in charge of photo of the Bikini bomb tests. He was not just no one, but he of all people thought that no one was just no one. He was a peace person in my life, first person I knew against our going into Vietnam, way before the press. He died hard.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 26 May, 2014 12:02 am
Quote:
The White House accidentally blew the cover of the top CIA officer in Afghanistan Saturday, when his name and title were released in an e-mail sent to reporters who traveled with President Obama on his surprise visit to Bagram Air Field.

The CIA officer's identity was released as part of a list of U.S. officials who were attending a military briefing with Obama at Bagram, the Washington Post reported.

The individual was identified as "Chief of Station," a term used for the top spy in a country, according to the Post.

MORE: Obama makes surprise visit to Afghanistan

The White House recognized the error and issued a revised list that did not include the official's name.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/26/white-house-exposes-cia-chief/9586633/

different matter, same spellbinding failure of basic government operations.

Can anyone do government anymore?
0 Replies

foreclosureus1

Mon 26 May, 2014 12:12 am
@Brandon9000,
I agree with this.. there is no such interest in VA scandal.
roger

Mon 26 May, 2014 12:14 am
@foreclosureus1,
Which is why it was never reported and not being discussed?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 26 May, 2014 02:48 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's because you seem to be trivializing an important topic, as if the VA cannot possibly need a tune up, despite the fact that people have died.

I am not trivializing the problem.

The VA does need a tune-up...just as the rest of our nation's health care capabilities need a major tune-up. I have acknowledged this...and you are refusing to acknowledge that I have for some reason.

People have died in non-VA hospitals also, Edgar. Honestly! You could look it up!