Sat 17 May, 2014 11:02 pm
If I were to eat a nasty burrito and give birth to it out of my butt hours later, could I be entitled to the same privileges as any other parent?

Could I boor you to death with ENDLESS pictures and stories of my "child"?

Would EVERYTHING out of my mouth be considered "profound"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 8,588 • Replies: 62
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Sat 17 May, 2014 11:46 pm
You poor thing.
nononono

Sat 17 May, 2014 11:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You poor thing.

Haha! Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 17 May, 2014 11:49 pm
@nononono,
0 Replies

contrex

Sun 18 May, 2014 04:18 am
I do get where the OP is coming from. New parents can get very boring about their damn babies. However it is best just to smile politely and move away.
nononono

Sun 18 May, 2014 06:03 am
@contrex,
Quote:
However it is best just to smile politely and move away.

Sometimes you can't just walk away. It just boggles my mind how oblivious some people are about how annoying they're being the MOMENT they become parents.
contrex

Sun 18 May, 2014 06:27 am
I hate those "Baby on board" stickers people put in car windows. Who cares? What purpose do they serve, really, apart from boasting? Also smug young women pushing babies in buggies who ram them into my legs on the sidewalk or who halt when they meet another one, so I have to walk in the road, or who think they should go before everybody else. And let's not forget screeching babies on planes. I have every sympathy with those parents who just plain don't take to their newborn infants.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sun 18 May, 2014 06:34 am
@nononono,
I hope you remember all this if you become one, a parent that is.

chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 07:39 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Perhaps he will, and won't be one of those parents.

While I don't appreciate the style with which nonono started this thread, I can certainly empathize with the sentiment.

erocelticyankee, I hope you realize you've given annoying response #432-a. The one that states a version of "Oh, wait until you're a parent, you'll feel differently"
eurocelticyankee

Sun 18 May, 2014 07:54 am
@chai2,
hmmm, I didn't know that Chai, okay.. 1 down....

Do I get a certificate?.
chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 08:24 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I didn't mean that as a direct insult to you.

It's just that people, as in a whole variety of subjects can say the most annoying things. We just happen to be talking about children.

Just last week, I was chatting (actually more listening to) this woman, who I realized after awhile, could only talk in cliches on any subject. We were kind of stuck being in the same place for awhile, so I was actually having a bit of fun listening to her go on about all sorts of subjects, and her totally unoriginal opinions. She just liked to talk, so I let her.

At one point she started telling me about her teenage twins, and how "Being a mother is the hardest job in the world".....wow, where did you ever come up with that one.

Finally, she got around to asking me if I had children (I'm 55, so I know she would have realized they would have been adults). For some reason, instead of giving the usual "no" as an answer, instead I a little more emphatically said "Oh no!"
She was thrown for a moment, blinking, but quickly got back track by saying "oh....well, you know, people who don't have children lead much more carefree lives" Shocked Shocked

I didn't respond out loud, but inside I'm thinking "yeah, my life has been one fun filled escapade after another"

For some reason, many people feel they have to comfort you, or point out to you that you would feel different (read happier) if you had a child.

Today I realize that many times people say such things because they want to fill in a gap made by a statement they weren't expecting, and don't know how to deal with it.
Still others say things like that because they want you to be aware (on some passive aggressive level) that they're are just a teeny bit better than you, for taking on the "hardest job in the world". They need you to be understand that they have some awareness of the universe that you could never get.

Setanta

Sun 18 May, 2014 08:36 am
Some people can only talk in clichés because they can only think in clichés--so all you'll ever hear from them is the conventional "wisdom" about any subject. The parent thing is seriously annoying precisely because of the attitude so many people have to the effect of "if you don't have kids you don't know what you're talking about." There was a thread started here once about a restaurant which banned children under the age of 12 (or some such limit). Some very reasonable, not unintelligent members here rushed in with the "if you don't have children you don't know what your talking about." I pointed out to one of them both that she doesn't know if i have children or not, and that many people who don't have children have still provided many, many hours of child care--hundreds of hours. Most importantly, i pointed out that one needn't have had children to know whether or not children who are allowed to run wild in a restaurant are seriously annoying. Then it's just a question of whom you loathe the most--the parents or their little perishers.
contrex

Sun 18 May, 2014 08:46 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Just last week, I was chatting (actually more listening to) this woman, who I realized after awhile, could only talk in cliches on any subject. We were kind of stuck being in the same place for awhile, so I was actually having a bit of fun listening to her go on about all sorts of subjects, and her totally unoriginal opinions. She just liked to talk, so I let her.

I actually enjoy this sort of conversation; it's quite relaxing and you just have to feed in a few clichés of your own every now and then.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 08:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Then it's just a question of whom you loathe the most--the parents or their little perishers.

The parents.
Definately the parents.
ehBeth

Sun 18 May, 2014 09:03 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I hope you remember all this if you become one, a parent that is.

it is possible to be a parent AND realize how annoying the non-stop yammering is
chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 09:14 am
@chai2,
Oh Set, here's 2 examples, back to back of how I think parents mold children, the first in a positive way, the 2nd in an on the surface positive, but I'm still pondering the long term results.

As I mentioned in another thread, I had recently taken on a part time time. Due to unrelated reason, I decided by the end of the 3rd day it wasn't a fit for me, and bowed out.

It was at a local music school, teaching piano, violin, violla, drum, bass, voice, guitar, etc. The students were anywhere from 6 to 14 or 15, and some adults.
What stood out most to me was how motivated the kids were, some taking multiple instruments, or a couple of classes a week. This was a direct reflection on the parents.

Anyway, at one point it was kind of busy, and I noticed a little girl, around 7, standing in the doorway. I caught her eye, and she nodded her head, patiently waiting. In a moment I turned to her and asked "Did you need something dear?", and she whispered something. I went closer and bent down and she repeated "May I read on of the books out here?' I looked around the corner and saw she was indicating a rack with books and magazines, obviously meant to be used. I smiled and said "Of course, take any book you like"
She knew not to take something without asking.

There was a 2nd little girl, maybe 8 who came in early on her own, and wanted to just quietly hang out in the office. She was great. She asked ME what my favorite subject had been in school, asked me if I like to read, and told me about the book she was currently enjoying. It was a Friday and someone asked her what she was doing this weekend. She reeled off 2 or 3 things for Saturday (including being in a parade), and I said "wow, you have a busy day tomorrow"
She simply said "I don't have time to lie around" Very Happy

Now, you know that came from her hearing her parents say that to her. She seemed very happy, but I hope in the future she makes time for lying around.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 09:27 am
Oh.

I've had people (I think even here) say to me "Well, it's a good thing you never had children"

Yes, it is.

Other things tossed at me..

You're selfish for not having children (or variations)
Responses:

a. Yes, I am.
b. And that bothers you because.....?

You'll feel differently when you have kids.

a. What if I don't, what do I do with the kid then?
b. If I don't, do you want to be responsible for the child I didn't want?
c. Well, I'll never have to find out if I'd feel differently or not.

Variation: But you'd be such a good mother.

a. No I wouldn't
b. How on earth would you know that? (mostly because this comment invariably comes from someone who barely knows you. People that know me would never say that to me)

It's the hardest job in the world.

a. Really? Is it harder than being that guy down in the missle silo who's got his finger on the button? Harder than open heart surgery? etc.

If everyone thought like you, the human race would end.

Well, no chance of that, so what's your point? Oh...I'm selfish...see above.

The following from my next door neighbor, who has 2 kids, upon finding out I'm not working anymore....

What do you DO all day?

Whatever I want.

0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Sun 18 May, 2014 10:15 am
@chai2,
I agree, people who only talk in cliches are sooo annoying. Then again, who am I to talk, none of us are perfect and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, indeed there but for the grace of God go I and let's not forget Chai, laughter is the best medicine. Sure you're damned if you do and...

Quote:
For some reason, many people feel they have to comfort you, or point out to you that you would feel different (read happier) if you had a child.

Poor you, yeah I hate fake concern, you poor thing you.
As for kids, you can have mine if you want.

Wink I never thought you meant it as an insult and I hope ditto.
chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 10:17 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Oh!

Another one I just thought of....something that someone here said to me....

"I'm glad you're not around my kids"

So am I buckaroo, so am I. Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 18 May, 2014 10:22 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

As for kids, you can have mine if you want.

You reminded me of something funny.

I was with my husband at his cardiologist, and since we really like him, we always ask after his family.

He started saying how his kids are now involved in all this stuff, and how busy he is taking them to all these things, and he said (joking, "Do you want a couple of kids?"

Without thinking, I immediatealy said "NO!"

He looked at me like this for a second.... Shocked Confused , then started to laugh Cool
0 Replies