Linkat

Mon 19 May, 2014 10:57 am
@nononono,
Quote:
Re: chai2 (Post 5667632)
Quote:
Being a mother is the hardest job in the world

Any job you can do in your pajamas does not deserve this title.

Actually it is one of the hardest -- why I work while my kids are home. They drive me crazy.

Although many adults are much worse than children -- most kids would be mature than some of these adults I have to deal with.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 19 May, 2014 11:51 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

I'm not saying smart people can't work at home; I'm saying that pouring concrete is a harder job than changing diapers. That's all.

Physically harder almost certainly. Mentally harder, very doubtful. There are many jobs where you come to work, do the same thing you did yesterday, go home. These jobs are important, doing them right is important, and they might be physically taxing but they aren't all that challenging and after eight or twelve hours on the clock, you are done. Parenting is all on, all the time, there is very little in terms of a safety net, no days off and serious reprecussions for a misstep. I understand not wanting to hear about it all the time, I don't understand the lack of respect.

I think your real concern is all of your friends have taken up a new interest and you have been left out. If all of your friends started running, they would all sit around talking about 5ks and marathon preps and you'd be bored silly. It is human nature to talk about your life and right now your friends' lives are consumed with child care so that is what they talk about. Friends drift apart. If you want to talk about politics or sports or whatever, you need to find new friends. Your old ones are not keeping up with the latest music, going to the trendy restaurants, taking in the new flicks. It's not fair to you or them for you to sit there seething while listening to them talk about what is important to them.
chai2

Mon 19 May, 2014 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

since you are so interested well here is a picture....

http://www.incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/indian-princess-for-your-rat.jpg

Kitchy kitchy coo!
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 19 May, 2014 03:12 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

Quote:
I still say many smart people do work at home, some of the time or all of the time.

I'm not saying smart people can't work at home; I'm saying that pouring concrete is a harder job than changing diapers. That's all.

By this logic, physical difficulty is the best arbiter of whether a job is hard, or worthwhile. So maybe we should all go and yell at Stephen Hawking for being such a goddamned slacker.
nononono

Mon 19 May, 2014 05:31 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
So maybe we should all go and yell at Stephen Hawking for being such a goddamned slacker.

How on Earth is changing diapers ANYWHERE close to the same kind of work that Stephen Hawking does?

Are you trying to be ridiculous? Because you've out done anything ridiculous I've said in this thread.
nononono

Mon 19 May, 2014 05:33 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
you need to find new friends. Your old ones are not keeping up with the latest music, going to the trendy restaurants, taking in the new flicks. It's not fair to you or them for you to sit there seething while listening to them talk about what is important to them.

Can't get new family, and they're the worst ones.

Child worship is just awful no matter how you slice it. And it blinds the person to the rest of reality.
engineer

Mon 19 May, 2014 06:37 pm
@nononono,
You can call your family once a month for ten minutes just to check in or send them an occasional text or facebook update if they irk you so. You aren't doing them any favors rolling your eyes at their stories and you certainly aren't doing yourself any. Everyone is blind to a major portion of reality. You focus on what you want to and have time to focus on and let the rest go. I'm blind to wine tasting, European soccer, gardening, etc. If that's your thing, sorry I can't appreciate it. Find people you find more entertaining and send Christmas cards to those who can't keep you entertained.
chai2

Mon 19 May, 2014 06:43 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

Quote:
So maybe we should all go and yell at Stephen Hawking for being such a goddamned slacker.

How on Earth is changing diapers ANYWHERE close to the same kind of work that Stephen Hawking does?

Are you trying to be ridiculous? Because you've out done anything ridiculous I've said in this thread.

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Would you please stop picking one sentence out of an entire post, to make some sort of (by this time boring) observation?

First you say pouring concrete (or whatever it was) was harder than child rearing.
You obviously were referring to the physical aspect of it.

Since Mr. Hawking can't perform any physical activity....well, I'll let you figure it out.

Sometimes it's good for a particular person not to have kids if only for the fact they're not contributing to the gene pool with their dumb DNA.

OK, we all get it, you don't want kids. You don't want to listen to parents talk about their kids.

I don't want kids. I try not to loose interest when people talk about their kids, but mostly my eyes glaze over (with the exception of a couple people who have kids I enjoy, because they're cool people)
Several members who have already posted on this thread don't have kids. I dont' know if their eyes glaze over or not.

You've had enough time to blow off steam. You're in your 30's you say. Start acting like it.
nononono

Mon 19 May, 2014 08:49 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
You can call your family once a month for ten minutes just to check in or send them an occasional text or facebook update if they irk you so. You aren't doing them any favors rolling your eyes at their stories and you certainly aren't doing yourself any. Everyone is blind to a major portion of reality. You focus on what you want to and have time to focus on and let the rest go. I'm blind to wine tasting, European soccer, gardening, etc. If that's your thing, sorry I can't appreciate it. Find people you find more entertaining and send Christmas cards to those who can't keep you entertained.

This is all very good, I like your advice alot. It's easier said than done though to avoid family... Especially when you live less than 5 mins apart Confused Plus It's not like I hate them or something. And meeting new people you really connect with is easier said than done too. I wish I knew how to be better at it, or at least better at finding people who interest me. I'd always be happy to meet somebody with a good personality and a good head on their shoulders, just don't know where they're all hiding.
nononono

Mon 19 May, 2014 08:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Would you please stop picking one sentence out of an entire post, to make some sort of (by this time boring) observation?

I'm only checking this IN-BETWEEN doing other things. I DO have a life that consists of things other than this thread. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You've had enough time to blow off steam. You're in your 30's you say. Start acting like it.

I think you kind of just like to yell at or disagree with people.
engineer

Mon 19 May, 2014 08:55 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

This all very good, I like it. It's easier said than done though to avoid family... Especially when you live less than 5 mins apart

When tempted to go over just remember what they're going to talk about. You'll figure out a way to do something else.
nononono wrote:
And meeting people you really connect with is easier said than done too.

Better than the alternative of hanging with those you find unpleasant.
nononono

Mon 19 May, 2014 08:58 pm
@engineer,
I edited what I wrote to better express what i meant a bit. Sorry, I'm doing laundry and like 3 other things right now too.
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 19 May, 2014 09:06 pm
@nononono,
I'm yelling at you?

Geez Beav, Dad's gonna holler at us.

I'm not even disagreeing with you. Parents can be annoying about their children.

Go ahead, rant away. Just don't expect too many more responses from anyone, as you've pretty much gotten to the repetition phase.

0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 20 May, 2014 05:59 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Everyone is blind to a major portion of reality. You focus on what you want to and have time to focus on and let the rest go. I'm blind to wine tasting, European soccer, gardening, etc. If that's your thing, sorry I can't appreciate it.

Apparantly nononono is blind to whining and complaining.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 20 May, 2014 06:31 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
I'm only checking this IN-BETWEEN doing other things.

uh oh
not so good at multi-tasking
0 Replies

Agent1741

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 07:08 pm
We have a saying "You can choose your friends, but not your family"! Mine drive me nuts & my immediate family do not even live here thank goodness!! I have not been in contact with them for a few months for me that's better than being kicked in the teeth regularly. I am not kid friendly so I would not be subjected to parents endlessly talking about there ankle biters!
0 Replies

sarahanry

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:49 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
chai??
roger

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:51 am
@sarahanry,
No. Chai!
chai2

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 06:42 am
@roger,
Roger?
roger

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:10 pm
@chai2,
Chai!

Does it occur to you that we both have a bit too much free time?