I (F/20) intend to plead guilty and my parents aren't happy about it.

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 07:27 am
Earlier this year, I was responsible for a car accident that severely injured the two occupants of the other vehicle involved. While I was lucky enough to walk away with some bruises, they both had to be taken to the hospital.

The accident was a result of the fact that I'd been drinking that night. I'd attended a friend's birthday party and had gotten pretty smashed. By the end though, I thought I'd sobered up enough to drive and made the mistake of getting behind the wheel.

Following the accident, I was arrested and charged with underage DUI and two counts of vehicular assault. My parents had to hire me a lawyer and he's managed to work out a deal. If I agree to plead guilty, I'll be sentenced to four years in prison. With good behavior, I could be out in two. Naturally, I intend to take the deal. It's better than I deserve.

I'm due in court tomorrow to enter my plea. My parents aren't happy about any of this. They actually want me to try and fight the charges, despite knowing that I'm guilty! My lawyer has assured me there's really no chance of me beating the case but, even if that were possible, I need to take responsibility for what I've done.

I know my parents must be humiliated right now to have a daughter who's going to prison. I also know they're concerned for my safety and for how this conviction and sentence will affect my future. But I think I'm doing the right thing by owning up to what I've done. I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't.

I don't want to argue with my parents about this anymore. I really want them to see this from my point of view as I could really use their support as this'll be the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through. If anyone has any advice on how to talk to them about this, I'd really appreciate it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 857 • Replies: 5
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 07:44 am
@Sadie1123,
Tell your parents to talk to the lawyer they hired on your behalf.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 08:30 am
@Sadie1123,
Well Done for Being a decent human-being, Sadie.
Tell your story to other inmates - They will respect your honesty, and if only 1 of them is affected by your 'humanity' - That's 1 more decent person on Earth.
Learn a Trade and expand your horizons, whilst incarcerated, also.

Have a Great Day.
Mark.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 05:05 pm
@mark noble,
Id be proud of you to act as you are doing an have your atty talkw ith your parents and accept your decision.

You sound like a stand-up kid. Id be proud to know you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 06:38 pm
It is too bad they will be the ones being sued because you are admitting guilt. No wonder they are upset.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2021 06:47 pm
@McGentrix,
they will be sued no matter, thats what insurance is for.
0 Replies