LIVE from NYC- Jack and Jill Falcon have 3 Chicks!

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:42 am
One of the chicks was flapping it's wings, hard, this morning. Shocked
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:18 am
http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/b/b5/Limestone_pavement_above_Malham_Cove.jpg

5 or 6 years ago I was pursuing my fav pastime of walking in the dales when I stopped on the top of Malham cove for a rest and a cup of tea. I was sat legs dangling over the edge about centre of this pic, when a flock of pigeons flew over, as I glanced up they suddenly scattered, a peregrine came down from above and grabbed one.

If you look a couple of inches from the left of the pic you will see a grass covered ledge, it landed there and plucked the pigeon, the mother bird came out of the hole in the cliff wall (third bush from left) growing out of wall and started taking a beak full at a time back to the hole where obviously the nest was.

I felt really priviledged to have witnessed this and from such a fabulous vantage point.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:30 pm
Great story & photo, kev.

All right, I'm getting nervous. BOTH of the darker-colored chicks were flapping hard. One of them kept jumping up on the edge & back down. All three of them were staying very close to the edge.

Yikes! Where's Mom & Dad? Think they ran off to get a camera? :wink:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 06:09 pm
The New York Daily News had a picture today of a lost falcon chick found on Water Street, but it can't be one of ours.

(Yes, I read the Daily News Rolling Eyes ,
Yes, I consider the chick ours........ :wink: )

Great story Kev. Love the picture.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 01:39 pm
The chicks are living dangerously this afternoon. They're sitting on the narrow ledge, watching the traffic below, and stretching their wings. The parent perched on top of the nesting area keeps holding its wings out straight, as if to show them you don't have to just flap. Both parents are close by.

Interesting that the word "fledge" contains "ledge."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 06:45 am
Lots of wing flapping and edge walking for the bunch this morning. Anybody know how long before first take off? I'm guessing about ten more days.... yipes.

Joe
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:21 am
That is what I am thinking Joe - I want them to succeed but will worry for them while they are in the learning phase.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:18 pm
Ten days? Whew...I was afraid they'd try it today. I had no idea how long this phase lasts. Now I feel a little better. (just a little, though.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 12:34 pm
I think one chick has flown the edge....

I only see two and one adult....

J
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 02:31 pm
I only saw two this morning myself. Just checked again, and still only two. No parents around either time. The light-colored one is gone. I do hope it's all right. Confused <biting fingernails>
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:23 pm
Just checked and it seems all is OK the two babies are there and one parent I think. But visability was not good.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:46 am
I see only the two babes this morning I think.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:31 am
Gack!! Nobody home this morning!

The site reported rescuing the first chick and plans to return him/her but now nobody's there...... hope folks are watching out...
\\\

Joe
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 07:30 am
A local TV news station had pictures of the young falcon who was found near the base of the Brooklyn Bridge. The commentary was that the bird would be returned to its nesting place. It also stated that the bird seemed well but confused. It further stated that such happenings are common with "apprentice soloists".
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:29 am
Perhaps they were walking on the wide ledge out of view, Joe. There's at least one there now, maybe two. Can't tell for sure...poor visibility. Will check in again later.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 03:20 pm
Checked in several times this afternoon, and everybody's gone. There's a note on the site that says it looks like the babies have flown off to their new future.

I'm glad that all of them made it this far. But I'm very sad they're gone. Sad

Thank you for sharing this site with us, Joe. It's been an amazing thing to watch.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 07:02 pm
Sad
Shocked
Sad
Shocked
Confused
Exclamation Exclamation
Arrow Cool

Crying or Very sad
~~~~~~
:wink:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:45 pm
Hey, a couple of birds there now, looks like one adult and maybe a chick, maybe I'm nuts.

Joe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:49 pm
I agree. One Parent, one chick. The Parent looks offended.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:51 pm
Nope. More like "How come I'm stuck babysitting AGAIN while you're off doing godknowswhat!"

I think either parent could say that.

Cool
0 Replies