W couldn't say, "I'm sorry."

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 07:44 pm
dlowan wrote:
Tarantulas.

Do you believe that the commander in chief of the US military has any responsibility for its actions?

Another rhetorical question ms. buns? :wink:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:39 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
George Bush is the sorriest excuse for a president I've seen in my lifetime.

I was embarrassed to see he was on Arab TV spinning away for himself, Cheney and Rummy the Dummy.

What a terrible time in American history.

And this from "Deecups."

I would have thought the moniker was ironic. Guess not.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:53 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
The lefties have their fingernails all chewed down because there's no apology. Never mind that our President has nothing to apologize FOR.

Then why did White House spokesman Scott McClellan say: "The President is sorry for what occurred and the pain that it has caused. It does not represent what America stands for. America stands for much better than what happened," and that "the President is deeply sorry for what occurred, and the pain that it has caused."

And while you're thinking about that, here's a related question: why did Scott McClellan apologize for Bush rather than George Bush apologizing personally?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:54 pm
dlowan wrote:
Tarantulas.

Do you believe that the commander in chief of the US military has any responsibility for its actions?

On a broad scale, yes. Not at the individual soldier level though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:11 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
The lefties have their fingernails all chewed down because there's no apology. Never mind that our President has nothing to apologize FOR.

Then why did White House spokesman Scott McClellan say: "The President is sorry for what occurred and the pain that it has caused. It does not represent what America stands for. America stands for much better than what happened," and that "the President is deeply sorry for what occurred, and the pain that it has caused."

And while you're thinking about that, here's a related question: why did Scott McClellan apologize for Bush rather than George Bush apologizing personally?

What is this jones for an apology?

Did Truman apologize for Hiroshima?

Did TR apologize for The Maine?

Did Lincoln apologize for Andersonville?

What is the GD importance of an apology?

Rumsfeld, this morning, apologized to any Iraqi who might have been abused.

Not good enough?

NBC wanted him to apologize to the Iraqi People.

Missing the point that in America the issue is on the fron page and subject to all sorts of debate.

We will take care of it an move on.

Start judging America in the context of the rest of the world and all of history, and not one's fanciful utopian notions.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:19 pm
Just a recap of the discussion so far:

World: Bush should apologize.

Tarantulas: Why should Bush apologize? He has nothing to apologize for.

Bush: I apologize (by proxy).

Finn d'Abuzz: Why all this emphasis on apologies? Let's talk about something else!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:44 pm
Even with the proxy apology, you know there are going to be people who maintain that since he didn't personally apologize, the apology was meaningless. They need that sound bite. Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 11:11 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz[/b]: Why all this emphasis on apologies? Let's talk about something else!

You get an "F" for cogent summerization, but an "A+" for horsesh*t.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 11:38 pm
Finn
I give him an A all the way. Your the one throwing around horsesh*t.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:19 am
rabel22 wrote:
Finn
I give him an A all the way. Your the one throwing around horsesh*t.

Talk is cheap rabel. Get specific.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:42 am
Another
Rummy didn't apologize. Quote his lame ass statement and everyone here will know he didn't. This arrogant, incompetant jackass should be fired at the very least and charged with war crimes if their was any justice in the USA.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:51 am
Re: Another
pistoff wrote:
Rummy didn't apologize. Quote his lame ass statement and everyone here will know he didn't. This arrogant, incompetant jackass should be fired at the very least and charged with war crimes if their was any justice in the USA.

Well pistoff, then you, obviously, didn't see him on The Today Show this morning when he very clearly said the US Government apologized to any Iraqi who might have been abused.

You may not like to think that he apologized, but he did. Check your TeeVo

Whether or not it was a genuine apology is another issue, but he did apologize and your inability to accept the simple fact that he did speaks volumes about your perspective, which I assume has a lot to do with your screen name.

That kind of anger is going to kill you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:09 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Tarantulas.

Not at all - perhaps just a touch ironic, though.

Where I come from, the buck stops with the boss. (I seem to remember some previous presidents having some kind of belief that the buck stopped with them - or was that just on Disneyland?)

Bush is the boss.

Soldiers did really bad things.

I think - for whatever an apology is worth - that the boss makes with the sorry.

Sometimes s/he falls on a sword.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:23 am
dlowan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Tarantulas.

Not at all - perhaps just a touch ironic, though.

Where I come from, the buck stops with the boss. (I seem to remember some previous presidents having some kind of belief that the buck stopped with them - or was that just on Disneyland?)

Bush is the boss.

Soldiers did really bad things.

I think - for whatever an apology is worth - that the boss makes with the sorry.

Sometimes s/he falls on a sword.

absolutely.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:26 am
BPB that, acceptance of responsibility, would require honesty and integrity. We should know by know this president (the one who gets his directiron directly for his god) is not responsible for any thing but the good things.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:20 am
I fully appreciate the power associated with the spoken word. Especially as it pertains and applies to the antics of the American military in Iraq.

However, what I think is behind this need to hear an apology from Bush and Rumsfeld goes much deeper. I think the American people realize at some level, at some deep recess of the collective American soul, is the realisation that the invasion of Iraq was completely amoral.

What exists now is an unspoken collective guilt for the human rights violations taking place in post-Saddam Iraq. This collective guilt hangs heavy in the hearts of an otherwise good people who were lead astray by George W. Bush and his daddy's pals.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:59 am
So, why should we apologize for the actions of our troops in Iraq in light of the fact that we still haven't heard any apologies from the Arab world for the events of 9/11, or for the treatment of those four civilian contractors murdered and desecrated in Fallujah? That's easy. We're not them. We hold the moral high ground here. If we accept our ownership of the moral high ground, we must accept the standard of conduct that comes with it, including apologizing for our actions when such an apology is appropriate.

We are trying to convince the Iraqi people that America has something more to offer them than did Saddam Hussein. Yes, Saddam really did torture his people. It wasn't just humiliating pictures, it was actual rape rooms, electric shock devices, mass murders and other brutalities. Iraqis got no apologies from Saddam. Now is the time to show them that our way is better. When you see that your people have done something wrong you punish them, and you apologize to their victims. How can this message not resonate with a people who have been brutalized, without apology, for so many decades.

As for that prison? Make a big show of leveling it. Destroy it. Replace it with a memorial to those who were abused and murdered by Saddam Hussein on that site.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:07 am
Good suggestion McGentrix....lock the barn door after the horse has already gotten out........too little too late....W is already on record in front of the whole world for not apologizing.

Forget apologizing for himself since he didn't personally do it, but personally apologize for the actions of the military that HE is commander in chief of, a job that HE campaigned for, HE went to all lengths to secure, apologize for actions of Americans that HE has such a hard on to be the leader of.

That goes with the territory. Someone forgot to impress that on him, or he wasn't listening, or he doesn't give a ****, or all three.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:18 am
I heard it posited by a reasonable Arab scholar last night that the US has apologized too much already.

Let's be honest here, if Bush, Rumsfeld, anyone from the administration had said "We are sorry" straight out, the people complaining that they haven't would be here complaining that they didn't mean it, or that they didn't say "We are really, really sorry", or complaining about something else. No matter what, you'd find a way to complain about this.

To many Americans, this issue is reason for disappointment, disgust, concern for those mistreated, concern over potential backlash for our other troops, condemnation for the morons who acted so despicably...

But for the usual suspects, this is just more fodder for their endless anti-Bush tirades.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:24 am
The direct perpetrators may go scott free as they were $100,000.00 a year private contractors who have since been dispersed into the system and at this point don't even stand to get fired. The laws in existance at the time doesn't cover these perpetrators and they likely are untouchable.
0 Replies