The Absurdity of Atheism

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 03:11 pm
@neologist,
You can show more intelligence by attacking the opinion rather than using ad hominems.
giujohn

Reply Sun 25 May, 2014 03:32 pm
Let me add that, ironically, religion is the result of human evolution.
Man, having developed a neo-cortex, is the ONLY species that knows that it will eventually die. Religion is merely a construct to reconcile that knowledge by conjuring up the notion that life continues after death and a "controlling authority" to oversee it.
fresco

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 12:29 am
@giujohn,
You are of course correct. However note the mystical catch-all clauses of deists such as:
God made Man in His own image.
and
All we call "knowledge" is in the gift of God.
(NB I believe the Catholic Church has accepted evolution in some form)

So as far as I can see, atheists can only argue with deists on the basis of the history of the social pathology of religious beliefs (akin to any other coercive ideology). Logical arguments tend to be doomed by psychological vested interests in choice of premises.
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 12:43 am
@giujohn,
I believe your claim to the effect that man is the only species that knows that it will eventually die is not just naïve, but specious. Absolute statements such as that are, in fact, a hallmark of religious exceptionalism--akin, for example, to the claim that "god" gave man dominion over the earth and all the creature thereupon. Elephants, whales and dolphins will surround an elderly, dying member of their group and remain with them until they die. Our little dog, who died just over a year ago, aged 14, stopped eating five days before her death, and stopped drinking water about a day and half before her death. From that and other behavior, i strongly suspect that she chose the time and the manner of her dying.
fresco

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 12:57 am
@Setanta,
Good point, but I think giujohn's use of the word "eventually" has significant import with respect to the differentiation of humans from other species in terms of their conscious pre-occupation with prediction and control, and the structuring of "thought" via socially acquired belief systems.
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 01:02 am
@fresco,
Oh yeah, sure . . . the young are indestructible and will live forever . . . just have a little chat with any undergraduate. You're as bad as the rekigionists with that human exceptionalism BS. Perhaps that's the last vestige of religious indoctrination to which people cling.
Thomas

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 01:15 am
@Al-Fatihah,
Al-Fatihah wrote:
But watch this. Ask any atheist about evoultion and what is their proof?

Observing the geographical distribution of species, sequencing genes, and the fossil record. The first can be observed in, say, a year's worth of travelling and observing wildlife. Genes can now be sequenced at about 10,000 a piece. And the fossil record can be studied by going to a natural-history museum and observing their specimens. Not everybody can afford this, but enough can to thwart any conspiracy of evil evolutonists

Al-Fatihah wrote:
They themselves refer to textbooks themselves as proof and claim that evolution is true for the same reasons why religious call their scriptures true. "Because it says so".

Now how did you get that idea? By reading a book that said so?

Al-Fatihah wrote:
But watch this. How do you know that it's been witnessed, peer-reviewed, and analyzed, observed and tested? "Because it says so". Hahah. They defend their faulty logic with the same faulty logic.

Even if this were true and all atheists were idiots, which it isn't and we aren't, it would still fail to demonstrate that gods exist, and that atheism is therefore absurd.
fresco

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 03:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're as bad as the rekigionists with that human exceptionalism BS sic

http://i.imgur.com/lMY9i6p.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 10:04 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Al-Fatihah wrote:
But watch this. How do you know that it's been witnessed, peer-reviewed, and analyzed, observed and tested? "Because it says so". Hahah. They defend their faulty logic with the same faulty logic.

Talk about faulty logic, this guy has it in spades! If he doesn't have the capacity to understand evolution through scientific findings, Charles Darwin, and even the evolution of the flu that changes from season to season, it proves he's on the joker's end. He just doesn't understand the meaning of evolution.

He needs to study why there are 14 Darwin finches; a basic lesson in evolution.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 10:15 am
Quote:
Al-Fatiha said: ask any atheist about evoultion and what is their proof?

Haha right, they haven't got a shred of proof..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/lib-atheist2_zpsb1b98049.jpg~original
neologist

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 10:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
I stand corrected. However, please note the finger is multi directional.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 10:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Al-Fatiha said: ask any atheist about evoultion and what is their proof?

Haha right, they haven't got a shred of proof..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/lib-atheist2_zpsb1b98049.jpg~original

This cartoon is making a false argument. It isn't possible to show that a God doesn't exist, however, it is possible to show that there is too little evidence for the existence of a God to justify belief in one. I also don't believe that there is a spaceship with 19 aliens orbiting the Earth just beyond visibility, whose mission is to stop us from developing nuclear weapons, simply because there is insufficient evidence to justify that belief. It is illogical to believe things for which there is little or no evidence.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 11:35 am
Quote:
Brandon9000 said: it is possible to show that there is too little evidence for the existence of a God to justify belief in one

Jesus demonstrated God's existence and awesome power when he performed his 37 miracles, heck he was almost as big as David Blaine..Smile

Jesus said- “I assure you that the Son can do nothing by himself except what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.......Even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father"(John 5:19, John 10:38)
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 12:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Brandon9000 said: it is possible to show that there is too little evidence for the existence of a God to justify belief in one

Jesus demonstrated God's existence and awesome power when he performed his 37 miracles, heck he was almost as big as David Blaine..Smile

Jesus said- “I assure you that the Son can do nothing by himself except what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.......Even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father"(John 5:19, John 10:38)

How do you know that these things actually happened?
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Ever been to a museum, where many physical proofs of evolution are on display?

You haven't, that's for sure!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 02:01 pm
Quote:
Brandon9000 said re miracles: How do you know that these things actually happened?

Well Jesus didn't skulk in some underground hideout, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the occupying Roman garrison- “I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)

And "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25) (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)

And he pulled audiences of over 4000 and 5000 at two gigs alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)

How many more eyewitnesses do you need?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 02:05 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

Well Jesus didn't skulk in some underground hideout, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the occupying Roman garrison- “I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)

And "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25) (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)

And he pulled crowds of over 4000 and 5000 at two gigs alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)

How many more eyewitnesses do you need?

Jesus never really existed, he was only a symbol.

There have been 'people' long long before 'him', who were born of a virgin,
could 'raise' the dead, were crucified, died, and after three days resurrected and so on and so forth.

Nothing news under the sun.

Oeps, I spillled the beans. Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 02:11 pm
Quote:
Quehon said: Jesus nevre really existed, he was only a symbol.

Well why would the early Christians follow somebody who never existed and get themselves thrown to the lions?
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 02:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Well why would the early Christians follow somebody who never existed and get themselves thrown to the lions?

That also didn't happen. If you are a Christian I feel for you.
Because it really is just a fairy tale and a reference to something else.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 02:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
For the same reason fanatic Muslims enter martyrdom..
0 Replies