Let's talk about love

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:48 am
now, getting back to being serious; perhaps we should entertain the question of whether there actually iss such a thing as 'love'.

There is most definitely a form of 'bonding' holding relationships together which i see as multifaceted. One 'connection' being (at the risk of sounding somewhat crude) centred largely below the belt, and its relationship to the heart, based on the elevated pulse rate engendered by the activity!
The other, less intense, perhaps, but more lasting bond occurs above the neck; and while there is a cursory credit involving the 'heart', there is more about sense involved here, than about 'sensitivity'.
To paraphrase an old adage: the family that 'says' together (talks to each other on a frequent ongoing basis) 'stays' together (or at least separates amicably).
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:51 am
cavfancier wrote:
What, be serious? No way. Laughing Everything I learned about child-rearing I learned from those books Mr. Spock wrote....(couldn't resist).

is that the guy with the 'pointy' ears???
[omigosh, where's the clown gone? Shocked ]

ah, he's back! Laughing
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 09:03 am
I believe in love, Alfie.

It's a living thing. It may grow and develop, changing yet remaining the same. It may spring up suddenly and just as suddenly die. It may wither away slowly and painfully.

If you're lucky, you'll get option 1.

The rush of emotions I felt when I first fell for the Lovely Bride are not quite the same emotions I feel now. No worse, no weaker, just different.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 10:16 am
BoGoWo wrote:
cynical comment; make sure you take lots of 'cash' along, and check the 'birth certificates' very carefully!
I can see why you would think that way BoGoWo, but that really isn't what I meant. If that were the strategy; I would have told him to instruct the taxi to take him to "Del Rey". However; there is neither a need to bring lots of 'cash' (as US dollars go 5 times as far there) nor is there any need to pay for company. Ticas prefer men from the US for many reasons.
1. Of course, economically speaking, we are rich by their standards.
2. There is a perception that Gringos have been thoroughly trained by Gringas to be much nicer than average.
3. Since we generally fall in love with Costa Rica, as a whole, we tend to be very happy there.
4. Our different "look" is as intriguing to them as theirs is to us.
5. Most seem as eager to learn about our culture, as we are to learn theirs.
6. There is something exceptionally fun about overcoming the language barrier and Ticos in general love to laugh at the way we (I) butcher their language, while at the same time appreciating the effort.

Like you; I've known a few "desperate" men who visited for cheap prostitutes and whatnot... but they are missing the boat... badly. Not in a gay way; I fell in love with the Ticos and Ticas alike. Their natural, unforced friendliness is intoxicating. They sport laugh lines not worry lines, seemingly always preferring to focus on that which is positive. Perhaps since I am quite smitten by the country at large, I view everything else through rose-colored glasses. I promise you; it isn't the easy sex and has nothing to do with prostitutes. The best single sentence explanation I've been able to come up with so far is: A happier populace I have never known. Those of you, who have visited my Costa Rica thread, know that I've been seriously considering moving there permanently.

It is the perfect environment to fall in love, if only because the opportunity literally resides around every corner. I have no trouble meeting the opposite sex here in the States but in Costa Rica the per capita number of eligible candidates seems to increase 10-fold. If you were a single man; would you not prefer to go to the club with the most beautiful women? As you've illustrated; love begins with a spark and attraction is that spark. That being the case; increasing your opportunity to feel attraction inextricably increases you chances of falling in love. Be warned: I didn't fall in love with any particular woman... I fell head-over-heels, hopelessly in love with the whole damn country. The better I understand their philosophy of "Pura Vida" (Pure Life), the more I desire it for myself. Idea
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:08 pm
Bill;

I hope there was no 'implication' inherent in my comment - none intended; i recently saw an 'expose' on TV - CBC about the child prostitutes of Costa Rica, which was on my mind.

I'm delighted to hear your enthusiasm for the place in general, and it demonstrates to me that there are other, more endearing facets of the country to draw the discerning male.

enjoy the 'pura vida'! Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:24 pm
No probemo. The child prostitute thing is the ugly underbelly that unfairly depicts an ugly image of one of the most beautiful places on earth. I really don't know how common it is, but do know that it is as illegal and immoral there as it is here. It's a crying shame that an 'expose' would focus in on that, rather than the beautiful climate, culture and unbelievably warm people who are more than willing to share their Pura Vida.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:37 pm
Costa Rica also has wicked coffee.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:39 pm
now, now Cav; not all good things are 'wicked'! Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:41 pm
Well, I wasn't going to get into the dark underbelly of how coffee and coffee beans are used on underaged prostitutes...

I had a freind who stayed in Costa Rica for some time, and she said it was fantastic.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 12:46 pm
I buy mine at Alternate Grounds on Roncesvalles ( and it's 'fair trade' sourced).

the coffee, that is!!
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:15 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
and with extreme effort, monumental perseverance, the total abandonment of 'pride', and numerous other demanding and arduous struggles, eventually at the end of the tunnel..........., there is love!

a connection that perserveres beyond challenge .. benevolence and understanding; a belief in the greater good that overrides the immediate bad .. the source of happiness and when missing the root of unhappiness .. love is conditional, and it's failure to recognize those conditions that make people lose it

However lust is always fun. Twisted Evil

http://biopsychiatry.com/lovesero.htm ( hah ! )
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:23 pm
Heh heh, so, is love 'conditional' as in 'here are my conditions, deal with it or leave' or 'conditional' in the sense of 'I'm terminally ill, take care of me', or 'conditional' in the sense of 'I'm mentally ill, what the hell am I doing', or all of the above? Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:27 pm
i 'love'(to coin a phrase) it; love described as an obsessive compulsive disorder! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 02:13 pm
"The Divine Madness" is my favorite description to date.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 02:55 pm
Chemical addiction? Oxytocin, Vasopressin, etc.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 02:57 pm
where can i sign up for the 'toxification' course?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 02:58 pm
I dated a Sarah Tonin once....it didn't last.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 03:00 pm
careful, Cav; i hear she's hard on one's 'live'r!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 03:33 pm
I have been in love with the same person for as long as I can remember........me. :wink:

but squinney for the last 16 years.....sometimes she still takes my breath away......
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 03:40 pm
The old "kick-to-to-the-solar-plexus," huh?
0 Replies