Illegal Entry From Mexico to U.S. Soaring

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:38 pm
ebrown writes
Quote:
Would you turn people with a critical illness away from an emergency room?

Would I? Of course not. If it was forbidden by hospital administration, that would really be tough. I'm not sure I could work for a hospital that could do that. But almost all public hospitals do take care of the indigent.

Years ago I became inadvertently involved in the clandestine sanctuary program illegally smuggling oppressed people into the country. I was philosophically opposed to this and unwilling to risk arrest, jail and/or fine by condoning and assisting this practice - UNTIL - I came face to face with a Guatamalan woman with a small child. Looking into her eyes, I couldn't say no.

I do, however, like the policy practiced years ago in Salina KS. All charities, churches, hospitals etc. got together and mutually supported a central clearing agency. All transients and others requesting assistance were sent to that central clearing agency. People were required to accept a police background check in addition to the aid they received.

This prevented unethical types from milking the system but no legitimately hungry or otherwise needy person was turned away. And, the immediate needs of the illegals, wanted criminals, etc. were taken care of, but they also were immediately deported and/or sent off to jail awaiting extradition to whomever wanted them.

But the point is, America has to have the discussion about our immigration policy and how open our borders can be. We realistically can provide jobs and services for a finite number of people.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:23 pm
All federally subsidized medical facilities are not allowed to turn away emergency room patients regardless of whether they have health insurance.

But foxfyre misses the point again.

The fact that 47 million Americans (mostly the working poor and students) don't have health insurance means all illnesses are treated as emergent admissions because they have no other place to go.

-A mother without health insurance or Medicaid has a crying child suffering with an earache. She can't go to a doctor's office, so she takes her child to the emergency room. What should be a $56 office visit and a $16 script for antibiotics skyrockets into a $500 ER admission.

It's truly unbelievable that the USA is the only industrialized nation that can't get it's act together and provide healthcare to everyone.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Let me tell you something....all us Canadians get free health care, and you know what? They can't afford to fund our hospitals properly (many have been closed) and it's a nightmare every time you need services. The hospitals are understaffed, underfunded, and NOT efficient when it comes to patient needs. Heaven forbid you need a serious treatment, or a transplant, you could die while on the waiting list.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm
That's the downside Cav and I think most thinking people realize it. The truly poor in the United States are eligible for Medicaid and that includes better health insurance than I can afford. Those that utilize the emergency room for earaches should pay the bill if they can. They are still usually paying far less than what a monthly hospital premium would be.

It is government and legal meddling that has sent medical costs through the roof here. I don't know what the answer is, but as you and I have discussed Cav, there has to be a better way. And if enough people think on it and try to find solutions instead of placing blame, we just might get it all fixed.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:46 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
The fact that 47 million Americans (mostly the working poor and students) don't have health insurance means all illnesses are treated as emergent admissions because they have no other place to go.

This is not true, at least not in Arizona. We have a state plan that pays for health care if you can't afford it. I worked with a lady who made a lot more money than I did, and she said her daughter went to the hospital and had a baby, and it cost her one dollar.

The problem comes when you have hundreds upon hundreds of illegal aliens swarming into the emergency rooms of hospitals near the Arizona border, expecting health care without any intention of ever paying a dime for it, and not eligible for state health dollars. The hospitals have to eat those costs, and it's killing them.

There was a move at one time to try to force the federal government to pay for services provided to illegals by Arizona, because the feds failed to keep the illegals out of our country. Of course that issue went nowhere, but maybe it opened someone's eyes. People don't realize the enormous support costs that have to be paid to support illegals.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:35 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
That's the downside Cav and I think most thinking people realize it. The truly poor in the United States are eligible for Medicaid and that includes better health insurance than I can afford. Those that utilize the emergency room for earaches should pay the bill if they can. They are still usually paying far less than what a monthly hospital premium would be.

It is government and legal meddling that has sent medical costs through the roof here. I don't know what the answer is, but as you and I have discussed Cav, there has to be a better way. And if enough people think on it and try to find solutions instead of placing blame, we just might get it all fixed.

Although liberal-minded, I have considered the benefits of a two-tiered system, much to my disgust.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
foxfyre posts, "The truly poor in the United States are eligible for Medicaid and that includes better health insurance than I can afford."

Healthcare envy?

Painting with such broad generalizations is typical of those on the far right in my experience.

I have a friend who is permanently disabled and after paying into Social Security for 20 years, receives about $1,000 a month. Believe or not, and I'm sure foxfyre will call me a liar which is fine, but according to Medicaid rules in our state, he makes too much money for assistance.

$1,000 a month translates into $12,000 a year or about 130% of the Federal poverty level -- poor by any definition, yet he is not eligible for Medicaid. Half of his monthly check goes to rent and after food, utilities, and meds are paid for, he's destitute at the end of every month.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:07 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
Painting with such broad generalizations is typical of those on the far right in my experience.

Accidental irony is the funniest irony of all. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:32 pm
That had to be intentional....
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:54 am
Deecups:

The scenario you spell out is a perfect example of why we need national healthcare.

Your disabled friend makes 12 grand a year, but is considered too weathy for medicaid.

What a joke.
0 Replies