Illegal Entry From Mexico to U.S. Soaring

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:08 pm
Infowarrior, the website where an article is posted is of less interest to me than the substance of the article and the reputation of the writer. The exception to this rule is that I generally decline when sent to a blatantly partisan website, either right or left, to get 'proof' for another member's opinion.

So I suppose the answer is yes. If a search sends me to a location for specific information, and the information and a credible source is there, I try not to be prejudiced about the website where it is posted whether if it happens to be on a pinko commie raging flaming liberal site or if it is on a redneck, tunnel visioned, fundamentalist, hardnosed conservative site.

That's one of the reasons that the Drudge Report is on my surfing route. I have strong reservations about his ethics and accuracy, but it is an excellent site to find out what is likely to be in tomorrow's news and he has links to a lot of sources that are credible.

Same with Townhall. Some links there get you to some of the best America has. And then there are some really questionable ones too. The trick is to be able to discern.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:09 pm
heeeheeheeheehe (I'm with you Setanta.)

The Mexican terrorists got me going......

Heck they've even got "prayer rugs!" Horrors!

(I guess this shows that bigotry is interchangable.)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:24 pm
Gee. Schlafly discovered our evil scheme.
You didn't know it. We ain't Catholics. We are Muslims!
This is the typical Mexican Muslim Prayer Rug

http://wmatem.eis.uva.es/~angbar/Guanajuato/Images/Sarape.jpg

Allah akhbar!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:25 pm
Seems every two or three weeks one of these anti immigration threads gets going. I'm fed up with them.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:40 pm
I think it is a debate we have to have though Edgar. The one place Deecups is right is that America's resources are not infinite. There isn't any noticeable exodus of Americans going elsewhere, but millions and millions of people around the world want to come here.

With social services, health care, and education systems already strained to the breaking point in many areas, a reasonable and sensible immigration policy will be increasingly essential not only for the people already here but for those who will be coming.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:42 pm
I'll agree with any enforcement of immigration laws that doesn't discriminate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:43 pm
It would be fine to debate it, but the racism and lies always spoil it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:56 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I think it is a debate we have to have though Edgar. The one place Deecups is right is that America's resources are not infinite. There isn't any noticeable exodus of Americans going elsewhere, but millions and millions of people around the world want to come here.

With social services, health care, and education systems already strained to the breaking point in many areas, a reasonable and sensible immigration policy will be increasingly essential not only for the people already here but for those who will be coming.

Immigration is not an isolated issue. It is connected to many other issues including foreign policy and business interests. For example, it is ironic that the same people who scream about jobs leaving the country want to keep workers from coming here. Kind of puts both workers and businesses in a bind doesn't it.

For me the main issue is one of human decency. We are a nation of immigrants. I have relatives who immigrated over 500 year ago (my aunt says credibly that we had anscestors on the Mayflower) as well as first generation Mexicans (who ironically had anscestors here for more than 8,000 years).

But also it comes to our Judeo-Christian heritage. The Bible is not all about hate-- it speaks of love too. It says to take care of the alien and the stranger as well as to love your neighbor.

It seems like those who want to proclaim the Christian foundations of our nation should be the first to support immigrants.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
Great fb, you bring the prayer blanket I will bring the picnic.

http://www.southparkdigital.com/images/mexican_food.jpg
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:17 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Are you sure they are being granted citizenship Deecups? My understanding is they would be issued work permits with the possibility of at some time in the future (years) having opportunity to apply for citizenship.

Your understanding is correct and Deecups is incorrect. In fact, many Mexicans view it as a measure to help deny citizenship because the notmalization of the workers will better enable law enforecement to track them.

This is true, and something that seems to be widely unknown. And I believe it's the reason the Bush plan will be a good one. If they photograph and fingerprint everyone who comes across the border, and absolutely shut down the border everywhere but the ports of entry, then we will know who's coming into our country. And when their time is up, we can go looking for them. There won't be any charges of racial profiling if the police have the person's picture and fingerprint to identify him. It's not an amnesty program.

Phyllis Schlafly is correct in many of the statements she makes. The people living on ranches at the Arizona border have some horrible problems, and they have found notebooks with Arabic writing in them. Our Arizona car theft rate is indeed the highest in the country. And they have found several houses in Phoenix full of illegals. One of the houses was discovered because two rival coyotes were having a gun battle over the illegals inside, and some of the illegals ran next door asking for help.

Hundreds of illegals die in the Arizona desert heat every year, trying to make it to civilization. The coyotes take them into the desert, point out a direction, and then go back to Mexico. Several misguided individuals have provided watering stations in the Arizona desert, which probably encourages more illegals to try to cross.

The coyotes themselves must be horrible people. They compete with each other to make more money from the illegals. When they get to Phoenix, illegals are often held until they can come up with additional money. If they can't pay, their hands are tied behind them with whatever is close at hand, they are put into a car, and driven to the desert. Once there, they are taken out of the car, walked to the side of the road, and shot in the back of the head. The Sheriff's Office found 8 of them in a desert area west of Phoenix, and a couple more in a different desert area after they started keeping an eye on the first area. And there was an instance where a (suspected) coyote fired shots at a large van containing an American family driving down the freeway south of Phoenix. It was thought that the coyote believed the van was a rival coyote smuggling immigrants.

Several years ago, a carload of illegals ambushed a Phonix Police officer and shot him dead. The only reason they didn't escape was that a heroic security guard happened by and emptied his pistol into the car. He didn't hit any of them, but they ran from the car and were captured later. There are many other instances of illegal aliens and crime, but that's the one that tops my list.

The new I.C.E. (used to be INS) has a huge operation going on the Arizona-Mexico border right now, continuing until the end of the year. They're supposed to have the border pretty well shut down, I guess. There are things they can do that the local police can't, so when the agencies cooperate they realize a huge benefit. One example of that is that if a policeman stops a suspected (or confirmed) illegal alien here, usually there's nothing he can do, because he's prohibited from enforcing federal laws, and there usually aren't enough Border Patrol agents around to take them into custody. But with I.C.E. showing a huge presence here, now there's someone to turn them over to.

My personal opinion is that we need a Great Wall of Arizona all along the Mexican border. It needs to be patrolled regularly and it must allow absolutely no one to cross. We can't keep letting people die while trying to cross our desert. And we can't keep allowing them to be killed by coyotes when they can't pay the ransom. And we can't take the chance of letting Al Qaeda operatives into our country. So it would be first a humanitarian measure, and second a security measure.

And that's the story from Arizona, one of the battle fronts in the war on illegal immigration.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:21 pm
The Berlin Wall ought to be example enough to show how well walls work. They had to resort to gunfire to keep the people contained. We don't need no stinking walls. People got to be free.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:30 pm
Why does everything need to be turned into a war with these people?
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'll agree with any enforcement of immigration laws that doesn't discriminate.

Works for me: send ALL the illegal aliens packing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:57 pm
Jar, We must also be "realistic." That's never gonna happen - during our life time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:57 pm
I may be mistaken; if all illegals are given cows......
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
The last time I was in the boonies in San Diego County all I could see was la migra in their green and white Explorers. They even have head ons ther are so many of them out there.

And the last time I was in the Valley all I could see were Mexican/illegals working their butts off to put food on our tables.

Even in San Francisco, Chinese New Year 1998 after the festivities who was there to do the tear down. You know who. So why can we not just let these folks come and go just like the Canadians, force the employers to pay their FICA, etc?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:16 pm
Oh, no, Joanne; that would be too easy and reasonable.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:27 pm
Well, then what's the purpose of having any immigration laws at all?

Let's just erase all the borders and live as one big happy familia.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:45 pm
Now you got it, info.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
Edgar, The Berlin Wall didn't work; many escaped to the west by very creative ways as shown at the Checkpoint Charley Museum in Berlin by train and cars. Many were also escaping by going south through Poland and the Czech Republic. The wall was only good for some people, and many in the US thought it was impossible to escape - but many did.
0 Replies