Illegal Entry From Mexico to U.S. Soaring

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:52 am
This is a very long article, so I only posted part of it.

The Illegal-Alien Crime WaveLink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:03 am
I can't speak up for any view but my own.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:10 am
Crime Statistics - USDOJ
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:20 am
Those are very interesting statistics Joanne.

Now, to address the thread, it's nice to see that liberals and conservatives can agree on one thing: chuck out the illegal immigrants for a safer, gentler nation. Let's look at things this way: Okay, statistics might indicate that illegal immigrants are more prone to gang-related crime. So what. Buy into the culture of fear that is parylizing the country if you want. Let's say you kick them all out. Well, you'll be left with a bunch of white guys, who are overwhelmingly more likely to be serial killers and pedophiles. The point is, none of these scenarios are mutually exclusive to race, and statistics are only an indicator of certain trends, not gospel truth.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:30 am
Quote:
Yet should a cop arrest an illegal gangbanger for felonious reentry, it is he who will be treated as a criminal, for violating the LAPD's rule against enforcing immigration law.

How is it that a city can enforce a rule that contradicts federal law? This is amazing.

While I have no problem with work Visas being issued, Tarantulas does raise another issue that I think must be addressed:

The vast majority of the Mexican nationals in New Mexico are decent, hard working people that I admire. But it is indisputable that a disproportionate number of burglaries, street crime, unlicensed and uninsured drivers, etc. are also committed by illegals and there seems to be little we can do about it. I think the laws do need to be tightened to make it more difficult and less attractive to come to the USA without the proper documentation.

I wonder if any other industrialized countries have as liberal immigration policies as we do?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:36 am
Sure, Canada. Isn't that how all the terrorists got into your country, foxfyre?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:59 am
Does Canada have a high population of illegal residents Cav? Or are undocumented, non citizens in Canada considered illegal?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:14 am
Hard to say foxfyre...we do seem to give out a lot of 'student visas'. Undocumented, non-citizens often fall under the radar, I think. My wife had a very frightening experience with a taxi driver once, and she made a formal complaint. It turned out that the driver was not the licenced driver, but a cousin of the proper driver, here illegally, and he needed to make some cash, so said cousin just said, sure, take my cab for the night. Rolling Eyes

I'm still not convinced about the kneejerk reactions posted here, mostly because you will always have problems in any industrialized democratic society, with immigrants or locals. Some folks are just troublemakers, regardless of where they hail from.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
Here in the UK, we have a huge problem with illegals trying to enter the country, and often succeeding. They have created enormous financial burdens on the National Healthcare system, and in areas with large alien populations, crime is epidemic.

Unlike America's INS, which seems quite impotent and wishy-washy in their mission, our Home Office aggressively rejects illegals at Heathrow and Portsmouth, sending them back upon arrival. The Chunnel tunnel is monitored as well with armed guards.

Apparently, such a strong stand on the enforcement of immigration law sits badly with many in America. But since nearly 50 million of your citizens go about without heathcare, I am left wondering why providing heath services to the hordes arriving from Mexico is of a higher priority than insuring your own?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:08 am
That 50 million of our citizens go without healthcare is not exactly accurate. That some go without healthcare insurance would be accurate. That's not the same thing. All federally subsidized medical facilities are not allowed to turn away emergency room patients regardless of whether they have health insurance.

It is also true here that laws that require American tax payers to essentially support illegals with free healthcare, free education, welfare, social security, workers compensation etc. are severely straining our resources, and no matter how much we have concern for the illegals, this will sooner or later have to be addressed.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:22 am
The Defense Department which uses 80% of the federal budget, the deficit, and the debt are straining our budget. Our government cannot borrow all the money it needs to support the war from the Social Security Trust Funds.

Soo how much do we owe China, Japan, and the Euro, lots and lots. The intereste alone is killing us.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:27 am
CBO Budget Projections In Billions of Dollars

Remember all figures on these charts are in billions of dollars Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
Foxfyre, your last post was especially ridiculous.

The fact that you won't be turned away at an emergency room for a critical emergency is not the same thing as having insurance. To make this comparison is ludicrous.

Undocumented immigrants do not recieve welfare or social security. Workers compensation is provided to employees- if an employer is gaining the benifit of a worker it has the obligation of providing this-- there is no strain on resources.

And, would you really turn away a dying person from emergency room because they don't have the proper docuements?
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:30 am
Upon reading "up" this series of posts, what I glean is Craven is unaware that 50% of the illegals crossing into the USA from Mexico aren't Mexican nationals.

It's been widely reported in our papers, following Bush's sweep of the magic worker permit wand, word went out to Brazil, Equador, Guatamala, El Salvador, Belize and others, that the USA was legalizing immigration and the march is on -- northward bound.

Frankly, I don't care how you folks deal with your immigration problems, but I will pass on the example of the UK's failures and achievements regarding the issue.

In brief, if you fail to enforce the existing immigration laws in the USA, you are destined to have a huge, costly, third world style nation, and in 25 years, Americans will awaken and ask, "what the hell happened?"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:57 am
Mexican or Brazilian - I don't really care.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:26 pm
greenumbrella wrote:
Upon reading "up" this series of posts, what I glean is Craven is unaware that 50% of the illegals crossing into the USA from Mexico aren't Mexican nationals.

greenumbrella, the reason I am "unaware" of this is because it is not true.

Quote:
It's been widely reported in our papers, following Bush's sweep of the magic worker permit wand, word went out to Brazil, Equador, Guatamala, El Salvador, Belize and others, that the USA was legalizing immigration and the march is on -- northward bound.

This is a very absurd statement that you can't support.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:02 pm
ebrown, I did not say that emergency room care was the same as having insurance. I said that not having insurance is not the same thing as not having health care.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:11 pm
Can you explain what you mean by this statement...

Quote:

It is also true here that laws that require American tax payers to essentially support illegals with free healthcare, free education, welfare, social security, workers compensation etc.

You are right about free education, but I don't think the rest are factual. That we should provide people who are living here with an education seems like a easy call.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:12 pm
.... and you didn't answer my question.

Would you turn people with a critical illness away from an emergency room?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:21 pm
To end the percentage discussion, some data about "unauthorized resident population" in the USA, by national origin, according to the INS:
Mexico: 68.7%
El Salvador: 8.5%
China: 2.5%
Guatemala: 2.0%
Honduras: 2.0%
Colombia: 2.0%
(Brazil is there, with 1.1%, right behind Ecuador and Phillipines; just above India and Canada).

As for the other argument, I'm with ebrown_p.
0 Replies