Yankees vs. Red Sox....Darth Vader vs. Luke

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:32 am
ol' grady was fitted with a Cone of Silence just before the playoffs started.
he's a total non-issue...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:35 am
Right Chief!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
I actually wasn't scared when Lowe came in...I was more scared of not being able to score off of K-Rod and Percival. I was thankful when they put in Washburn, even before his first pitch. That was a mistake by Sciosa.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:05 pm
Good point Slappy. Sciosa played it like a 7 game series. In the last inning of a must game you gotta put in "who brung you to the dance"
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
Slappy,

Lowe doesn't scare you in any kind of pressure situation?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:18 am
For some reason, I wasn't scared off then. I'd rather not see him since he's there in case the starter gets burned or in the situation like the other night. But I had the faith in him...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
There are certain constants in time and space.

The SUN will always rise in the east.

The tides will rise and fall as always.

Based upon what fact does anyone think there will be a different outcome this year as the Dead Sox have never and will never beat the Yankees?

Tell me what has changed.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:36 pm
Scat woiyo! this ain't no political thread Very Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
starting pitching.
NY doesn't have a schilling-martinez-arroyo combo to throw at the sawx.

can you name a yankee starting pitcher that's given them consistent quality starts?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:41 pm
I agree Region, but Martinez's mental stability is of some concern at the moment. At least when he's pitching against NYY...

But it would be so sweet if the Bosox can pull this one off!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:11 pm
Region - That is an old tired argument by members of THE NATION. How are earth can the Yankees pitching be so bad when they won over 100 games???? The Yanks and Dead Sox have played the same teams this year and with the Yank so called terrible starting pitching, THEY STILL BEAT THE SOX BY 3 GAMES!!!

Moose is as capable of pitching a gem as Schilling WASH

Pedro - Yanks OWN HIM.

Game 3 - Brown equally capable of pitching a GEM!!

Game 4 is a question for the Yanks, but so is Wakefield on 18 days rest???

Let's not even talk about the bullpen.

So again I ask, what has changed in the universe that would expect any reasonable person to think the outcome will be any different then it has been for 80 years?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
out the window woiyo...it's one thing beating up on the Devil Rays...heads up the sox handled the Yanks just fine.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:27 pm
the biggest mistake the sawx made this year was waiting until the trade deadline to excise their nomar molar.
had they had the present lineup all year, i dare say they'd've taken the division...

woiyo we both know the only reason the yanx won 100 is bcos their offense & bullpen bailed out the starters with late-game heroics.
that's fine during the season, but not good enough in the playoffs...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
Panzade - Sure the Dead Sox have beaten the YAnks when the GAMES DON"T MATTER!!! In the last series in Sept, all the Yanks had to do was win one game.

Guess what, first game they spanked Pedro like he was their child.

So again, what exactly has changed in this universe???
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:33 pm
Lots, the Marlins put a hurtin on the bombers in THE clutch game...psyche counts. And they say good pitching beats good hitting in a 7 game series. I'll take pedro over Mussina any day.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:40 pm
Arguing about all this is fun, but, thankfully, it will be settled on the ballfield. That's the beauty of sports, as opposed to politics, where we can argue who's right and wrong forever!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
Panzade - The MARLINS??? They took advantage of the fact that the Yanks beat the Sox in last yrs ALCS and took their eye off the ball and went on a mini losing streak.

Where are the Marlins today??? Fishing I suppose.

Anyone can win the tournament one time (see Diamonbacks, Marlins, Braves). The measure of a trust champion is to DEFEND that title, which no one has been able to dosince the Yanks and not a franchise on the PLANET has done so as consistantly as the Yanks.

I will give you Peety over Mussina EVERYDAY. I would not give you one plugged "shilling" for Peety. :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
Ahem.

Could NYY excellence having anything to do with having the highest payroll in baseball? Adding Sheffield and A-Rod (among others) to a team that was in the WS last year might have something to do their success.

Ignoring that is like ignoring the elephant in the room.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:50 pm
Tha Yankee payroll is obscene. And the Sox payroll is a somewhat close second. But not really that close. And for years the Yanks have outspent the Sox when it wasn't all that close, and money has historically enabled them to grab free agents without depleting their farm system. The playing field has been so uneven as to be laughable.

Baseball would be a much better game with a cap.

Having said that, the system is what it is, and within that context, we play the games. This year, the Sox definitely have the edge in starting pitching. (We put our headcase (Lowe) into the bullpen, the Yanks still have theirs (Brown) in their lineup.)

Barring a surprise visit from Grady, (who BTW is the ONLY reason the Yanks advanced last year), things feel pretty good for the Sox right now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:53 pm
excuses excuses...fact is...the marlins have won 2 WS in a very short amount of time and if Huizenga hadn't dismantled the team they would have defended the first time..

They lost some good players at the end of last year or they might have defended again. The Marlins payroll is miniscule in comparison with the Tankees...so there!
0 Replies