Yankees vs. Red Sox....Darth Vader vs. Luke

panzade

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 11:10 am
a little tea with your sugar Slappy?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:02 pm
I cut sugar out. Gotta watch my figure. But the 788 beers every weekend are cool, though.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:28 pm
Lite beer I'm sure.

Like when a walking dumpling gets up to the McDonalds counter and says: "Give me two Big Macs and two 1/4 pounders...and supersize the fries...oh...and make that a diet Coke...gotta watch my figure!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
Yes.

Which reminds me. I found this website where you can make your own t-shirt, then order it for yourself. I'm waiting for mine, which has a picture of twinkies on it. Above the twinkies it reads "It's not genetic..." and under "so step away from the twinkies."

Offending people is fun.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
I hope I did not offend too many people back there- I know how important this subject is. Just a little joshing, is all.

But, the World Series is an odd name for something which is parochial. Am I correct (discounting the individual players of many nationalities who may take part) that this competition is only contested between American, professional, basketbase teams?

I think anyone with the right physique and the right gender could enter the Mr Universe competition, irrespective of nationality. But could any team enter the "World Series"?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 03:12 pm
MLB has had a team in montreal since 1969, and tranna since 1977.
so technically it should be the "north american series"...
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:33 am
Though hyperbolically called the "World" series (we're the same folks who modestly termed our football championship the "Super" Bowl), it is the championship of Major League Baseball. Only teams in that association play. The only true baseball world series is run by Little League.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
Nice one George.

Here's one that comes round once in a while- do you know why soccer is so called?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:00 pm
No McTag and I don't rightly care...

AHAHAHA!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
And to get back on theme, well done the Red Sox, you have done brilliantly.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
just teasin...
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:13 pm
McTag wrote:
Here's one that comes round once in a while- do you know why soccer is so called?

I seem to recall something about Rugby football and association football and the slang usage that made the one rugger and the other soccer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 12:49 am
George wrote:
McTag wrote:

I seem to recall something about Rugby football and association football and the slang usage that made the one rugger and the other soccer.

Correctamundo, George, top of the class.

How come the British invented so many games? (golf, tennis, soccer, rugby, downhill skiing, polo, badminton...) We must be idle buggers, or very playful. Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:23 am
Brits invented downhill skiing... and polo?

Hmmm, thought that was the Swiss and the Indians, respectively.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:51 am
Indians invented lacrosse. Oh, you mean those Indians! Well, I'll check that. I guess they must have invented the gymkhana, at least.

The English (victorian or just before) did invent downhill skiing as a sport, and bobsleigh and in fact mountaineering. The Swiss did not bother with these things before the English did it- on holiday in the Alps, of course, not on the South Downs.
I'm not saying that no Norwegian cross-county skier ever slid down a hill, but as a sport, it was the English what started it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
Sorry, correction for lady Piffka

Polo was invented and first played in Iran or ancient Persia thousands of years ago, according to the Indian Polo website.

Okay I'll pull polo, and substitute rolling the cheese down a steep hill and tumbling after it. We definitely invented that.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 12:55 pm
Just a further note on the "World" Series. Back in 1903, the American League and National League each considered itself the premier baseball league in the US and therefore its champion was the champion of the US. When they agreed to play their champion teams against each other, they decided to call it the World Championship Series. That was shortened to World's Series and then World Series.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:17 pm
McTag wrote:
Sorry, correction for lady Piffka

Polo was invented and first played in Iran or ancient Persia thousands of years ago, according to the Indian Polo website.

Okay I'll pull polo, and substitute rolling the cheese down a steep hill and tumbling after it. We definitely invented that.

'K... thanks for the clarification to my confoozlement.

As for the cheese & the steep hill... I've watched from TV and a fine sport (for a SPECTATOR) that is. Wink

The Brits (assuming one includes Scots in this group) also started, I think, that sport made famous by the TV series, One Man and His Dog, which I consider an even more interesting spectator sport.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 02:32 pm
Isn't it amazing what those dogs can be trained to do.

How far we have strayed from the Red Sox. Now our socks have got wet, strolling in the autumn meadow with the shepherds.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
Well, the season is over and now we're looking for a new (sporting) reason for being.

However, I'd like to point out that *I* am only willing to watch... and plan on not getting my socks wet.
0 Replies