Yankees vs. Red Sox....Darth Vader vs. Luke

fbaezer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
If I recall correctly, during the 2004 Major League season, there were baseball players from: USA, Japan, Venezuela, Korea, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Aruba, Taiwan, Nicaragua, Colombia, Panama, Vietnam, Virgin Islands Australia and West Germany... and that's because non of the Croatian champions of Karlovac (MOU's home team) have made it to the Majors.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
(Joe, great story).

Unbelievable.

Is that it? Is it over? After 86 years, I can say the Red Sox won the World Series. What a ride. This season had so many ups and downs, and although people call pro athletes rich and spoiled, I'm happy for these guys. This is a team, like the Patriots, that seems void of selfish attitudes. And it's great to see guys like Pedro, Varitek, Nixon, ect. finally get that ring.

I'm still stunned they came back and beat the Yankees after being down 3 games, never mind sweeping the powerhouse Cardinals. What a different fanbase the Yanks have compared to the Cards: all I heard this morning on the radio from fans at the game was how friendly they were, there was no arguing, no "you suck" and they were happy it was us that beat them, and not the Yankees. Meanwhile when I go to Yankee stadium it's like a European soccer game. Yankees really do suck.

Account of last night: I get a call from roomate#1, who is already at Tequilla Rain around 5pm. I tell my other roomate, who is working at Copperfield's that night, that I probably won't go in because I don't want to drive in, no parking. I end up riding in with him.

Get to Tequilla rain before 7pm, and they're already at capacity and aren't letting anyone else in. Seems like there's just as many cops walking the streets as fans. Call buddy who's in there, apparently doesn't care I'm stuck on my own, so I go over to Copperfield's by myself. Great. I'm that weird dude at the bar drinking by myself watching the game, no friends to talk baseball and possibly celebrate with. Luckily, I run into a girl from high school and her friend. Better than nothing.

Fast foward to 7th inning. Bar is packed, and everyone's getting riled up. "9 MORE OUTS!" chants start, then "6 MORE OUTS" chants the following inning. Roomate's sister and brother-in-law are there, he's got a video camera with him. 9th inning comes, he can't even watch he's too stressed out. So he plugs himself in corner to video tape the bar crowd's reaction. I'm pretty calm, after all, one of my best friends leaves me hanging by myself. Very confident in the win that's going to take place. Not really sure I believe what I'm about to witness, or how I'm going to react.

Last batter of the game, this bar is rocking. Last out, and it blows up. After 10 minutes, my right hand started hurting from all the high fives. For the first time in my life, I was hugged my multiple males I've never seen before. And I didn't care. I took a few seconds and looked around, soaking up how loud it was in that bar, and all the people jumping around. Then I went back to yelling and jumping around.

After people were pouring out, the bouncers started redirecting people towards the back door. The riot police were outside dealing with the crowd, and didn't want any more people coming out. My roomate who works there comes in coughing, the police set off some tear gas or something. They were showing the idiots in the crowd on tv, throwing stuff at cops, but nothing too bad happened that I saw.

After it calms down, I talk to my other roomate who was at the other bar. I planned on getting a ride home with him, since my roomate who works at the bar usually has to stay late. Well, the streets were blocked off so you couldn't even walk to any of the main streets from where I was. I hung out and had a couple of after hours beers. Didn't want to attempt walking throught the crowds and possibly get the sh!t kicked out of me by the police for no reason anyway. I caught myself complaining at one point I wanted to get to bed(had to be in NH this morning), then shut myself up....we just won the World Series.

I had my doubts this year: didn't think they'd come back to beat the Yankees after being down 3 games, and I wasn't confident in Dlowe before that series. I was one of the few that liked Francona all year, liked the Nomah trade after it sunk in, and the decision to keep Bellhorn at 2nd(got into some huge arguments with my friends over that one).

Hope to be celebrating this many more times in my life.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:50 pm
Info on the parade (Saturday, starting, er, some time in the AM): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/specials/postseason/2004/10/28/redsox.parade.ap/

Any A2Kers going?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:56 pm
I am so sad they are having the parade on Saturday instead of Friday. The parade route goes right by my office. Since I have two young children, there is no way in heck I am bringing them into town, otherwise I would be front and center. Besides my daughter has her last T-ball game on Saturday. I can't miss that. She is a future woman's gold medal softball winner.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
McTag wrote:
...I have a question: since baseball is a game played only in the USA and Canada, the Philipines, and I daresay in some south american countries, why do you call your competition The World Series? It plainly isn't that. The world doesn't play it.

The world is more than welcome to join the fun.
My problem is that the world is not really invited to the World Series.
I for one would love to see a baseball World Cup.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:35 pm
Great account, Slappy! I almost felt I was there. As it was, I watched the game at home, totally sober. Had to be at work today too damn early to watch the game under the proper conditions. In a bar with other fans.

The locals, by the way, were very pro Red Sox, both during the NYY series and the World Series. This is an AL city, I guess, plus NYY-bashing seems to picking up steam across the US.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:10 pm
Joe, that story is a beaut.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:14 pm
Thanks for the report, slappy, I watched the game at home, stone cold sober. It was kind of lonely, but pretty good all the same.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:28 pm
Joe: I almost drove to the cemetery today to share a toast with my father. I think he had the same radio as your dad. Your beautiful words underscore the fact that it is what we have in common as human beings that matters, not how we are different.

d'Art, you wrote "Congrats, Red Sox Nation! I don't count myself as a citizen, but an ally." Hey, we're Amerrrcans, we don't need no allies!" (Just kidding folks ... sort of)

Slappy: Yes they do! They really do. And they always will.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:31 pm
according to WBCN:
friday some of the sawx and the dropkick murphy's will be at the state house around noonish. they're gonna do "Tessy" and possibly a few more ditties...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:16 pm
Last night one of the guys that works at the bar was telling me how his father and grandfather have already passed, and how much it would have meant to them, then he started tearing up. Alot of people get emotional over the Sox here.

Now I have to go back to being a normal person. I've been to the gym only 2 or 3 times in the last two weeks, haven't slept, and even though I haven't been getting hammered, just every night drinking some beers. My roomates are going out tonight, and I just can't pull it off. Tomorrow different story though.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:19 pm
Hey, Slap, congratulations on the Red Sox win. I've been meaning to tell you and littlek and Quinn and other Bostonians that, but I guess I just plain forgot.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
Joe
Thanks for the beautiful story. You brought tears to my eyes.

Slappy
As a previous Bostonian and Sox fan, you also brought tears to my eyes. Great story and I wish I was there.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:48 pm
Gus, thank you for the congrats. It was a long season, it was hard work drinking all those beers and yelling at people that goes along with being a Red Sox fan, but it all paid off. My beer consumption led to a World Series.

Montana, that's not the only time I've brought tears to a woman's eyes....just usually for a completely different reason.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:53 pm
Laughing I believe you Slappy Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:15 am
Hi it's me again, the uninitiated one.

On the BBC radio4 News this morning, somebody was complaining "Why did you have a news item this week telling us the Boston Redskins had beaten the Red Admirals?" or words to that effect- "Who cares about the game baseball played in America?"

Then they had two journalists explaining how important the game was, and why it should be important here. But, it will never catch on, I fear. We already have a game like it, called rounders, which children play. You hit a ball with a bat, then you run round. Then, you do it again. Children like it. :wink:

I saw "Field of Dreams", btw. Enjoyed it.

Have a nice weekend
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:28 am
Go pound sand, McTag.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:41 am
If McTag is going to be pounding sand he should be doing something useful. There must be the specifications for a pitcher mound around here somewhere.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:48 am
The last time a Cardinal was in Boston was to investigate sex crimes in the Archdiocese
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
McTag wrote:
Hi it's me again, the uninitiated one.

On the BBC radio4 News this morning, somebody was complaining "Why did you have a news item this week telling us the Boston Redskins had beaten the Red Admirals?" or words to that effect- "Who cares about the game baseball played in America?"

Then they had two journalists explaining how important the game was, and why it should be important here. But, it will never catch on, I fear. We already have a game like it, called rounders, which children play. You hit a ball with a bat, then you run round. Then, you do it again. Children like it. :wink:

I saw "Field of Dreams", btw. Enjoyed it.

Have a nice weekend

Over in the US we have these services called "dentists." They perform cleanings, checkups, and repairs on one's teeth.

One time we had journalists from the UK call into our AM radio and explain why these dentists are unecessary in society, and if the opposite sex can't look past bad breath, brown crooked and missing teeth, then people are just overall too shallow.

But I still like a cup of tea once in a while.
0 Replies