Yankees vs. Red Sox....Darth Vader vs. Luke

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:53 am
Congratulations, people!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
I made it to the office. All I can you tell you is I'm tired, I'm hung over and I've never felt bettah in my life! Joe - the Red Sox brought tears to my eyes too and this morning believe it or not I keep getting teary eyed whenever I think of it. The icing on the cake - I have a conference call this morning with a group from New York! Guess what will be the topic at the beginning of that meeting!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:33 am
I was kind hoping it would go to game six so they could take it at home but in any case.....Go Sox!!!!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:38 am
Joe- What can I say?

silence..
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:41 am
Note to Cubs fans:

The monkey is all yours. (Or should I say goat?)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:47 am
http://www.xs.to/pics/04105/jesussox.jpg

St. John the Damon

Our Papi, Who art in Fenway
Hallowed by thy team
Thou kicketh ass
On Yankee grass
And at home, as you did in the Bronx

Give us this year our shiny rings
And forgive us our talk of curses
As we forgive those who talk of curses against us

And lead us not into extra innings
But deliver us from choking

For thou art the Schilling
And the Pedro
And the D-Lowe
For ever and ever

Damon
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:55 am
Joe, that was a very nice thing you wrote about your pop(they got internet up there? if so he read it, fer sure, joe).

RP, that's the funniest I read in a while, man! Laughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:00 am
thanks... didn't write it, but i'll take full credit for the cut & paste Smile
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:42 am
This has been the most fun 4-0 World Series in my lifetime.

Two clean-shaven teams (and the two MLB teams I do hate) were given a clean shave by the happy Sox.

Johnny Damon, the clone of my good friend and baseball team mate Cychess, suddenly stopped playing like Cychess, said "no" to the ball and hit it over the fence when it was needed. (Because of the striking resemblance, he's my favorite BoSox player)
Pedro had sugar in his hips and venom in his throwing arm.
I confess I didn't believe in D-Lo, but he resurged in the postseason from his 2004 pitching grave.
Orlando, humbly, put the myth of Nomar in the closet, where it belongs.
Tony Francona outwitted LaRussa (gawd, he didn't send Isringhausen to the mound until they were agonizing) every single time.
Ortiz showed Pujols who's the real Papi.
Schilling overcame pain, proved that pros should have a heart and stablished himself as one of the top postseason pitchers ever.
Manny was the spark of happy playing: if you have fun, you play better. If you have fun and are naturally a great player, you end up being MVP.
Foulke is human. He blinked. Once.
Troy Epstein reminded us that baseball is a team sport... and that pitching is still the name of the game.

They were one inning out of being sweeped by the Yanks, but they all showed us a lesson we struggle to learn: it ain't over 'til it's over, and if we all do our best, we can always come back and get to the top.

And I'm so happy also because of the joyful A2Kers!

--

Great, very well written, story about Pop, Joe. I identify with you.
And that's also a great prayer, Region.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:44 am
RP, simply brilliant!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
Region
LOL! I love it.

Dag
What time did things finally quiet down last night?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:29 am
fbaezer wrote:
Foulke is human. He blinked. Once.

He did! I saw it!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
Congrats, Red Sox Nation! I don't count myself as a citizen, but an ally. And this had to piss off Steinbrenner even more than he already was!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:09 pm
Here near Davis Square things calmed down at around 1:30am. But in Kenmore, near the Fenway Park crowds were celebrating all night - many people did not sleep at all and waiting for the Red Sox to roll in this morning! So some are STILL out there, since last night!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:09 pm
D'Art, you don't have to be a member of the Red Sox Nation to rejoice (I'm not, actually; my wife is).
All you have to do is to love baseball and underdogs.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:20 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
There was a radio in my father's workshop. It was on a shelf, up high up out of the way, and it only got AM. It also only got the Red Sox Baseball Network. Through the summer months and into each fall, the radio would burble along in the background as Pop ran the saw or drilled a few neat holes in something. If something like "... long fly ball to right field..." or "...with runners at the corners and the count 3 and 1..." was said, work would stop till there was a result, like a singer holding a note for an extra bar or two then returning to the melody at hand.
When radios that were battery powered came out, it pleased Pop so much because he could take the thing down to the garden and while he chopped around on the squash plants or strung up another row of beans, the Red Sox would be doing battle on the diamond of Fenway Park.

After he got old, and he got very old, a radio ended up next to his chair with the tv changer. He liked to watch the game on tv but listen to the radio.
"They have to tell you more on the radio and they tell you things that the tv doesn't show."
"Like what?"
"Shh now, the game's on."

Towards the end, he lost his patience with the Red Sox a little. If they fell behind badly in a game he would slap the radio and turn it off. Maybe change the tv channel to something else, but in five minutes or so, he'd sneak the volume back up and listen to hear if some miracle had occurred.
It seldom did.

==
So last night as I watched I watched for Pop and I watched the way he always watched, hopeful but knowing that diaster could strike on the next pitch, and when that pitcher snagged that last hit and ran like a little kid towards first and threw it underhanded, so careful and full of joy, that was me on the mound and Pop at first, see?

I cheered for Pop and missed him more than I have in a long time.

So here's to the Red Sox and here's to comebacks of all time and here's to you, Pop. They finally, finally, did it in grand style.

Joe

Good grief... I didn't think anything about last night could bring a tear to my eyes. <sniff>

Beautiful.

Beautiful Finale for the World Series this year, too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:35 pm
I knew there would be a baseball thread somewhere.

I have a question: since baseball is a game played only in the USA and Canada, the Philipines, and I daresay in some south american countries, why do you call your competition The World Series? It plainly isn't that.

The world doesn't play it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:41 pm
McTag wrote:
I knew there would be a baseball thread somewhere.

I have a question: since baseball is a game played only in the USA and Canada, the Philipines, and I daresay in some south american countries, why do you call your competition The World Series? It plainly isn't that.

The world doesn't play it.

An Englishman arrives to the shores of Dover. A heavy fog sits over the Channel. He looks towards the sea and concludes, phlematically:
"Oh Lord, the Continent is isolated!"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
"We Are The World" ( panzade skips off humming the tune) :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:44 pm
Pssst -- Mexico!! Mexico!! (Yikes -- FBaezer cover your ears)

Also lots of other Central American countries as well as a bunch in the Caribbean, and China, Japan and Korea, and it is becoming popular in Africa and probably more places than that.
0 Replies