Yankees vs. Red Sox....Darth Vader vs. Luke

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:41 pm
My class in the morning was cancelled :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:43 pm
Right on! See that, I think we should have had a long standing law that when the sox won the series, we'd have a state-wide day off the next day.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:44 pm
kickycan wrote:
Upon further review, I'm not sure Varitek's foot was on the bag on that last out.

Aw, come on kicky...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

cancelled? i thought they only did that when there was a foot of snow on the ground!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

And the day after that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:45 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
some horn blowing, some wooing, some firecrackers in this sleepy little town (brighton ma)...

when you've just won it all, its ok for 2 straight guys to do this:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Reuters_Photo/2004/10/28/1098936220_4298.jpg

LOL. This was great :-D

Dag
I'm sure things will calm down soon. For your sake and many others who have to work tomorrow, I hope so.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:47 pm
'They' includes me. Being the professor's teaching assistant I urged him to take this step (he mentioned the possibility half-jokingly I suppose), and being a die-hard Sox fan he agreed, since he wanted to watch and celebrate, too. 400 kids are running wild in the streets now for they don't have to get up in the morning!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:55 pm
littlek wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Upon further review, I'm not sure Varitek's foot was on the bag on that last out.

Aw, come on kicky...

You Red Sox fans are so sensitive! By the way, I meant to say Millar. For the record, I like you guys, so...

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEW WORLD CHAMPS![/color][/b]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:57 pm
I knew you could do it! Thanks Kicky!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm
(atta boy kicky)

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/10/28/1098938633_3532.jpg

bedlam in the streets
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:59 pm
Prego, littlek.

So, who in this thread is drunk right now?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:59 pm
Aaaahhhh, good night folks!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm
Great Pic Littlek!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm
kickycan wrote:
Prego, littlek.

So, who in this thread is drunk right now?

Not me, but I am tired and I think I'm going to bed too. Night all :-D
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:04 pm
check please Very Happy

(its a work night for cripe's sake...)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:06 pm
i wish!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:09 pm
CONGRATS!
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:34 pm
Right after the game, I made all the phonecalls. . . mom, dad, grandma, uncles, friends. . .everyone.

This victory means sooo much more then others know. I literally sat in front of my TV and balled for a few minuites after Foulke tossed it to Menkavtzchztzkz. After watching this team with my heart on my sleeve for so many years, after being sooo close so many times, this one moment in time makes it all worth it!!! I can truly understand what this moment means not only to myself, but to generations of Red Sox Fans. This one was for Pesky, Yaz, The Kid, Fisk, Longborg, Buckner, Stanley and yes, Nomah too. This game was for every single member of The Nation who passed before witnessing them hold up the trophy.

Tomorrow, the air will be a bit fresher, the colors will be a bit brighter, the ocean will seem a bit more blue, for there IS joy in Mudville tonight.

The Red Sox Are WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!

I don't think I could ever get sick of saying that Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:41 am
There was a radio in my father's workshop. It was on a shelf, up high up out of the way, and it only got AM. It also only got the Red Sox Baseball Network. Through the summer months and into each fall, the radio would burble along in the background as Pop ran the saw or drilled a few neat holes in something. If something like "... long fly ball to right field..." or "...with runners at the corners and the count 3 and 1..." was said, work would stop till there was a result, like a singer holding a note for an extra bar or two then returning to the melody at hand.
When radios that were battery powered came out, it pleased Pop so much because he could take the thing down to the garden and while he chopped around on the squash plants or strung up another row of beans, the Red Sox would be doing battle on the diamond of Fenway Park.

After he got old, and he got very old, a radio ended up next to his chair with the tv changer. He liked to watch the game on tv but listen to the radio.
"They have to tell you more on the radio and they tell you things that the tv doesn't show."
"Like what?"
"Shh now, the game's on."

Towards the end, he lost his patience with the Red Sox a little. If they fell behind badly in a game he would slap the radio and turn it off. Maybe change the tv channel to something else, but in five minutes or so, he'd sneak the volume back up and listen to hear if some miracle had occurred.
It seldom did.

==
So last night as I watched I watched for Pop and I watched the way he always watched, hopeful but knowing that diaster could strike on the next pitch, and when that pitcher snagged that last hit and ran like a little kid towards first and threw it underhanded, so careful and full of joy, that was me on the mound and Pop at first, see?

I cheered for Pop and missed him more than I have in a long time.

So here's to the Red Sox and here's to comebacks of all time and here's to you, Pop. They finally, finally, did it in grand style.

Joe
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:57 am
Joe - That was absolutely beautiful. A toast to Pop!

(wiping tears)
0 Replies