Congratulations, House Republicans!

Baldimo

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:20 pm
@parados,
My employer pays about $700 per pay period for my insurance plan.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:22 pm
@parados,
Quote:
How much of your health insurance does your employer pay?

That doesn't change any increase the person incurs. Or should you be punished for having a job?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:22 pm
@Baldimo,
Which is $1400 a month? How much do you pay on top of that?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:24 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
In any case, abortion is not murder.

When it is done because the parent does not want to be bothered or pay for the irresponsible action that bought the pregnancy about, or the child is the wrong sex it is murder.

It is not murder...no matter those things.

It might be murder if the abortion were an illegal one. But considering the context of the discussion...we are discussing legal abortions.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
we are discussing legal abortions.

No problem, legal murder. Sharia law has that, and it doesn't approve of abortion.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:32 pm
@parados,
I pay just over $500.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:32 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
we are discussing legal abortions.

No problem, legal murder. Sharia law has that, and it doesn't approve of abortion.

Murder is defined as the illegal taking of a life. Legal murder is an oxymoron.

If you want to say that abortion is reprehensible in your opinion, that's fine. But you do not define murder. The law does.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 12:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Legal murder is an oxymoron.

Executions are not legal?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 01:56 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Legal murder is an oxymoron.

Executions are not legal?

An abortion is a legal procedure. It is no more murder than a tonsillectomy.

But since you asked...no, executions are not legal.

Why did you ask that?
parados

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 02:33 pm
@Baldimo,
So your current monthly insurance cost is $1900.
What was the cost on the exchange?
coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
.no, executions are not legal.

You better call Texas.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 03:40 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
.no, executions are not legal.

You better call Texas.

I was answering "no" to your question, "Executions are not legal." Not sure how I ended up adding that last part...but I was wrong.

I apologize.

But abortions are not executions...and they are not murder. They are legal medical procedures. (Once again, excluding the abortions that are, and were, performed illegally.)
coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 03:47 pm
Quote:
The White House #WarOnMath: Women do not make 77 cents on a man’s dollar

Oh Oh someones favorite subject.

Quote:
This Equal Pay Day, even the White House can’t defend its frequent assertion that women make 77 cents on a man’s dollar. Why? Because it’s completely untrue. But hey, War on Women and all that, so you’re going to be hearing it anyway. So in the spirit of this new age of the VoxSplanation, here are some key facts and some good links that I gathered over the years — mostly from reading and editing former Labor Department economist and columnist labor economist Diana Furchtgott-Roth – on how to debunk the mythical gender pay gap.

First of all, if you actually do the math on weekly earnings, the 77 cent number is just outdated. Women who worked “full time” in 2013, according to easily retrievable BLS data, made 82 cents (not 77 cents) for every dollar earned by men working full time ($706 per week versus $860).

But this is also an inapt comparison, because “full time” includes people working as few as 35 hours a week and as many as…well, as many hours as one can work in a week. Surely, we shouldn’t assume discrimination is at work (and discrimination laws are the answer) if some or all the pay gap is the result of differences in hours worked. Again, according to BLS data, the average woman working full time works 94 percent as many hours as the average man working full-time. (The “hour gap” gets slightly larger if you only consider, say, workers over 25.) Once you account for the “hour gap,” full-time working women make 87 percent what men make for the same amount of work.

For what’s left of the gap, before we assume employers are deliberately paying women less because they’re evil, we should factor in other things that put women at a disadvantage. To name just two that various legitimate studies incorporate, there are career interruptions (mothers are far more likely to suffer these than fathers) and then occupational/educational choices. If women are less likely to choose the most lucrative college majors (they are), or more likely to leave the workforce for a time to raise children (also true), they’ll end up making less money than male counterparts who don’t do those things, even if employers don’t discriminate at all.

Depending on how conscientious you want to be about comparing apples to apples, such factors will narrow the gender pay gap to 6.6 cents (a famous American Association of University Women study got that number — and hid it in the fine print of their study) or, as Furchtgott-Roth often argues, you can narrow it to almost zero.

There are probably things we can change in the world that would reduce pay inequity — namely, removing whatever drives young women away from more lucrative career tracks, etc. But that has nothing to do with workplace laws governing compensation or opening employers up to more lawsuits. The upshot here is that Equal Pay as a legislative agenda is just an excuse for not having a legislative agenda, not a solution to a real problem.

Oh, and of course, as the image above notes, the Obama White House does not pay women the same as men, either.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 03:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But abortions are not executions...and they are not murder.

No they are not, people executed in this country are found guilty by a jury of 12 people, not just one selfish irresponsible woman like the baby is.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 03:52 pm
@coldjoint,
is birth control murder as well?

by your definition it would seem so...
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 03:55 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Re: parados (Post 5630020)
My employer pays about $700 per pay period for my insurance plan.

Money that could have been in you paycheck if you had ACA.

Why are you so blind? Why don't you check out the ACA????????
coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
is birth control murder as well?

Did I say that? Let me help, I didn't.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:20 pm
@coldjoint,
so where is the line?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Money that could have been in you paycheck if you had ACA.

Why are you so blind? Why don't you check out the ACA????????

Bite off his nose to spite his face comes to mind.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 04:45 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
But abortions are not executions...and they are not murder.

No they are not, people executed in this country are found guilty by a jury of 12 people, not just one selfish irresponsible woman like the baby is.

The supposedly "selfish irresponsible woman" has a right to deal with her own body as she sees fit.

Abortion is not murder...we agree on that..even though earlier you called it murder.

If a woman wants to terminate a pregnancy occurring in her own body...she should have the right to do so...and you should not have the right to prevent her from doing so.