Is Michael Dunn guilty?

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:02 pm
There is an interesting white-black criminal case going on in Florida.

Dunn, and is female partner, both white, were at a service station and parked next to three young blacks in a SUV. They were playing rap music turned up very loud. Dunn asked them to lower the sound, and the young men responded with curses and threats. Dunn claimed he saw one producing a shotgun, at which time he pulled out his gun and shot into the car, killing the 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

Someone noted Dunn's license plate. Dunn drove back his hotel, and to his home the next day. He was later arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Dunn is claiming self-defense. Do you think
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 6,567 • Replies: 125

View best answer, chosen by Advocate
Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:19 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Dunn claimed he saw one producing a shotgun, at which time he pulled out his gun and shot into the car, killing the 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

If we had clear video footage of the accident, I would pay attention to Dunn's tone as he demanded that the sound be turned down, and to whether there actually was a gun for the youngsters to be produced. If Dunn's tone was provocative, as if to pick a fight, that would kill his self-defense claim. And if there was no gun other than Dunn's (the police didn't find any), that would kill it, too.

Absent such conclusive video footage, the insanely lenient laws of Florida will let Dunn claim that he had reason to fear for his life at the moment he pulled the trigger. The prosecution then has to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he didn't. Any reasonable doubt will exonerate Dunn. Looks like a replay of the Zimmerman case to me.
Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:38 pm
@Thomas,
In a state of premature dementia, Thomas wrote:
If we had clear video footage of the accident,

Obviously I meant "incident", not "accident". Whatever this was, it certainly wasn't an accident.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:36 am
Dunn did pretty well in testifying for himself. Some experts rated his testimony as an eight. This was partly due to the poor cross-examination, which allowed Dunn to ramble quite a bit, as opposed to giving a "yes or no" only.

I think that blacks will go nuts if Dunn is acquitted.
Advocate

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 03:24 pm
@Advocate,
Maybe this gives a clue on why so many whites are now packing.

Rampaging black mobs shut down Florida State Fair[/b]

"How black is that?"

Quote:
Hillsborough County's sheriff is reaching out to local African-American leaders after "unprecedented incidents of violence and disorder" that forced deputies to shut down the Florida State Fair early on Friday night.

Deputies say dozens if not hundreds of teens were involved in a "wilding" event at the fair's opening night, fighting with each other while assaulting and robbing other fairgoers.

The chaos got so bad that the 200 deputies on hand could not contain it, Sheriff David Gee wrote.

Ninety-nine people were ejected, and 12 were arrested.

Read more: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24694482/2014/02/11/sheriff-looks-to-black-leaders-for-state-fair-help#ixzz2t4I0VR3N
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 08:00 pm
After watching some coverage on TV, I think it quite likely that the jury will reach a guilty verdict.
  • Dunn's own wife contradicts his story that the juveniles threatened him with a gun. He never mentioned a gun to her throughout the rest of the day he shot that juvenile.
  • Dunn, allegedly in fear of his life, found the time to call for a pizza, but not 911m on the evening of the shooting.
  • Dunn, who allegedly shot in self-defense, continued to shoot into the car while it was driving away. That's no longer self-defense.
During the Zimmerman case, I said that Zimmerman would, and should, walk free because he wasn't proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I really don't see the reasonable doubt here anymore. If this ends up in a not-guilty judgment, something is seriously screwed up.
Thomas
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 08:02 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

That's what people said during the Zimmerman trial, and what they actually did was protest peacefully. Perhaps you should give them the benefit of the doubt.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 08:19 pm
Maybe if they convict it will make white guys think twice about shooting black men for made up reasons.
Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:43 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Advocate wrote:

That's what people said during the Zimmerman trial, and what they actually did was protest peacefully. Perhaps you should give them the benefit of the doubt.

I hope I am wrong on this. However, I think you have to admit that the black community is a powder keg. A lot of the young blacks would like to have an excuse to riot as a means to do some plundering.
Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:48 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Maybe if they convict it will make white guys think twice about shooting black men for made up reasons.

In FL, one can mount a self-defense excuse on the grounds that the shooter felt threatened.

I think Dunn, coming from his son's wedding, was a bit high. Alcohol fueled his bravado and recklessness in shooting into the SUV.

I think he should be convicted of second-degree murder.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:57 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
A lot of the young blacks would like to have an excuse to riot as a means to do some plundering.

Yes, we all know how much those young Blacks and Jews love to do plundering.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:11 pm
@Advocate,
First degree, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:35 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
I hope I am wrong on this. However, I think you have to admit that the black community is a powder keg.

On what evidence do I "have to admit" it?
Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 08:50 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Advocate wrote:
I hope I am wrong on this. However, I think you have to admit that the black community is a powder keg.

On what evidence do I "have to admit" it?

I think a lot of factors should make you admit it. For instance, past rioting accompanied by looting; the high unemployment in the black community; the very high percentage of black males who are currently in the criminal-justice system; etc.

Maybe you were joking when you asked that question.
roger

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:00 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Someone noted Dunn's license plate. Dunn drove back his hotel, and to his home the next day. He was later arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

He shot into a car, killed someone, and just drove back for (presumably) a good nights sleep. I'm not sure this would help getting a jury to vote for acquittal.
Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:04 pm
@roger,
Probably so. Dunn argues that he drove away because he didn't think he hit anyone and was afraid that the boys and their friends might come after him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:05 pm
The fact they have already considered a verdict two days makes me wonder if they are headed for a hung jury.
Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The fact they have already considered a verdict two days makes me wonder if they are headed for a hung jury.

I had the same feeling today.

The defense attorne, a former prosecutor, did a great job, especially in his final argument. He may have reached one or two of the jurors, who now think there is reasonable doubt.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Yes, we all know how much those young Blacks and

Jews love to do plundering.
WHEN did Jews "plunder"?????
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:52 pm
@Thomas,
I think that a conviction is more likely than not.