What is Going on in Sochi?

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:33 pm
@Bella Dea,
pssst. ID say that 70% of the people here have it on ignore so we, like it, really have no idea what its even talking about.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
Ha! Well slap my ass and call me Sally.

Problem solved.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:16 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella: Do you actually read the posts in response to your posts? No, you probably just pick the parts you can protest and go with it.

That's rich, Bella. You, like most everyone, failed to address the points I raised but you accuse me of doing that.

Have you apologized to your daughter yet(SLAP), Sally?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2014 07:18 pm
@farmerman,
Do you really think that 70% of A2Kers are as chickenshit as you, Farmer?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 08:55 am
I'm not arguing with you JTT.

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:06 am
@Bella Dea,
Because you can't, Bella. No to worry. You can just sit back and learn, like glitterbag.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:10 am
Learn what? How to be a dick? If that's the case, then yeah, I'm sure we will learn a lot.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:15 am
@Bella Dea,
Learn that you're not the language guru you mistakenly thought you were.

Learn that the USA is not the force for good that most ignorantly think it is.

That's more than enough for starters, doncha think, Bella?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:51 am
First off, I never claimed to be a guru in anything. I just hate text speak. Second, I never claimed the US was a force of good.

You make up arguments with people that don't even exist.

Give it a rest already.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:56 am
@Bella Dea,
Your daughter speaks in text speech, Bella?

Bella: Second, I never claimed the US was a force of good.

Then by all means, educate your woefully ignorant countrymen. And Olivier.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:04 am
You can't speak in text speak. You write in text speak. What are you talking about?

And my daughter is six for Christ's sake. I correct her in an age appropriate way so she doesn't become one of those people who says things like "mute point" or "I seen it".
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:10 am
@Bella Dea,
Can you describe for me, in a linguistic manner, what you find untoward about "I seen it"?
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 02:06 pm
@JTT,
I apologize for having taken so long to reply. That silly real life thing got in the way. Moving on.

What I find untoward about "I seen it" is that it is incorrect. "Seen" is a past participle. You would need to include have, has, is (and a few others) with it to make it correct.

Never I have ever heard or seen (!) anything that would say other wise.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 05:09 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella: What I find untoward about "I seen it" is that it is incorrect. "Seen" is a past participle. You would need to include have, has, is (and a few others) with it to make it correct.
------

Good, thanks, Bella. I got it now.

I has seen.

I is seen.

Perfect!
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 05:31 pm
@JTT,
Rolling Eyes Because every sentence starts with I.

I have seen him.

He has seen me.

She is seen singing in the garden.

Got it? Wait, aren't YOU the master of language? Shouldn't you know this?
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:37 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella: Got it? Wait, aren't YOU the master of language? Shouldn't you know this?

There are no masters of language, Bella. People study it their whole lives and are still perplexed by its mysteries.

If you are willing, I've included a link here for you. The material isn't that awfully long but it is highly instructive. It will serve to get us on the same page, so to speak. It will give you some exposure to what we might discuss if you are inclined to continue.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~beatrice/syntax-textbook/ch1.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 07:59 pm
I'm not really inclined to continue. But thank you non the less.

And might you explain to me why you think you are more advanced than I am in the English language? I'm not saying you are or you are not but I'm curious to know.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 08:45 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella: And might you explain to me why you think you are more advanced than I am in the English language? I'm not saying you are or you are not but I'm curious to know.
----

1. Because you have been describing things about the English language that are false. You are simply repeating other folks' ideas. I've heard them all before.

2. You aren't inclined to continue. People who actually are interested in how language works would be thrilled to discuss such things.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 08:42 am
@JTT,
Repeating other folks ideas? What does that even mean? And what have I been describing that is false?

And I don't want to discuss it because you are not a very nice person to discuss anything with.
0 Replies